Quote:

So I am in the process of putting together a new .060 over 340 for the 69 Dart. Have the crank polished, everything checks out nice. Install the rods and pistons, camshaft, timing chain, lifters, yada,yada,yada. Everything painted nice Hemi Orange with new Eddy Aluminum heads, aluminum intake with an old set of M/T valve covers. Complete motor down to the alternator brackets. Remove it from the engine stand and attach it to the dolly I use to install motors from underneath. 727 Trans rebuilt painted and ready to go. Install the 3500 Fairbanks converter and attach the flex plate to the crank. I line everything up straight and start to bolt it up. Trans is 1/2" away from the block and torque converter is already locked tight to the crank. Finger tight 7/16 bolts in bottom of block only.
WTF????? NOW!!!!!!!
Loosen it back up and slide it apart and low and behold the crank was never drilled for a torque converter...
again WTF??????
Motor was removed from my 73 p/u before being rebuilt, which was a 4 speed.
Long story short has anyone ever ran into this????
Motor has to come completely back apart so the back of the crank can be drilled to accept a converter, as the converter is hub centric on the back of the crankshaft.
Man after today I can definitely confess to cussing while working on my car!!!

3 reason come to mind

1. convertor not all the way on try standing the trans on the tailshaft and spinning it,

2. Check the back of the crank and see if the is the lae model pilot bearing in the back of the crank that could cuase the same problem

3. It your crank could be the old 66 or 67 and back 273 crank which has a smaller diameter opening for the convertor.

Number 3 is the worst case 1 or 2 should be an easy fix