Quote:

my personal preference, and rationale, is that mechanical fan, although effective...never shuts off. even if the clutch goes to "near idle" on the fan, you're still spinning it with the engine...all the time...when you don't need it.

And the problem with the fan running all the time, even with the fan clutch dragging a little is?????? Extra airflow through the engine bay, evacuating out engine heat, helping to cool headers and keep air flowing across the carb does not sound like a bad idea to me. More consistent under hood temps from constant fan flow sounds to me like something a carb is easier made to deal with, rather than fluctuating under hood temps as an electric fan cycles on/off allowing under hood temps to cycle up and down.

I read a car craft article on time where they dynoed a sb chevy with a clutch fan vs a fixed fan vs an electric. If memory serves the fixed fan lost 15hp from the electric and the clutch lost about 7 from the electric. Sounds like a lot of extra money and hassle combined with sub-par cooling in many cases, just to gain a few hp.