Quote:

The wider lsa / peaky torque curve idea is nothing more than a common misconception . I have proven it is a myth on several different builds as have several other people.
A lot of guys still believe intake closing points are the main thing to look at too,but that is 80's technology being passed down.
I just tested a few different cams with the intake closing point being nearly identical , moderate duration,and varying lsa in a mild 360. The best overall torque curve was the narrowest lsa
Keith

Keith,

Do you think that as the duration grows relative to the displacement and overall aggressiveness of the build that a wider LSA will become more beneficial, assuming the same intake closing point? If you take a stock low performance .430 lift big block cam and change the LSA from 115 to 108 (I know you cant change LSA, but theoretically) I would think it would wake it up a lot merely because it would provide the engine with more overlap, and the overlap on that cam is so low. Take, for example, a 440 that had a single plane intake, headers, and a larger carb and head work. The thing would probably work best with an insanely tight LSA to compensate for the insane lack of duration.

Take a 509 cam and stick it in a 383 that's 100 percent stock otherwise and tightening up the LSA would kill it even more. Open it up and you'd likely see better overall performance due to the fact that now the thing isn't choking so much on the low end, and it didn't have the capacity to work the 509 on the top end with a 108 LSA. (Mopars theory on those new turdy 114 LSA cams since everyone complains the old school ones are doggy in stockish setups)

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street