Quote:

Fenderwell headers? Really? Is that the REAL reason why the engine compartment was painted?

Wish I lived closer to see the progress in person.

I talked with Rhan and he shared that back in the late 90s when they freshened up the motor they found that the lower inner fenders on each side had been cut out. He went ahead and had that repaired and painted the engine compartment. We ground down one side to take a look. Looks like the original owner may have street raced this car. The cutout is similar to the one used for Hooker fenderwells for the big block Dart. They had three tubes going through the fenderwell and one under the chassis on the driver side. On the passenger side there were two tubes through the fenderwell and two under the chassis. What also leads me to belive the guy raced the car is that someone added 3.91s. The car was ordered with 3.23s. Rhan didn't make the change. My guess is he had the dealer change the pig out in favor of the 3.91s. Reason I figure the dealer did it is there's a 3.91 tag on the pig as well as the Suregrip tag. Most driveway mechanics back in the day wouldn't bother putting the tags on.