Quote:

I run a blueprinted and hand ported stock volume pump on any of my big blocks that turn up to ~7200 rpm. You'd be suprised what they'll keep up with by just opening up the inlet to 1/2" and chamfering that severe 90 degree turn in the pump head itself

Both the high-volume and standard pumps seem to have the same inlet/outlet "head" casting; I for one never saw the point/value of opening up the block pick-up to 1/2" and leaving the restrictive 3/8" id head on the pump

if you make it easy to supply the oil to the pump and provide it relatively unrestricted to the mains, you make it a lot easier for the system to do its job.

The interesting thing about oiling systems is since you have a series of controlled orifice "bleeds" ; so as you bleed pass each journal you have proportionally less oil pressure available for the next one in the path. Therefore the 'easiest' (and arguably most effective) ways to help the system "circuit" is to reduce as many upstream bottlenecks as you can. The pump head is the first place I go toward improving the system.

with 'Wise. I would definitely enlarge the suction side (pump head) of the block to 1/2" (Hemi diameter) and chamfer the 90 degree bend to the pump mount. As far as the pump is concerned with, hi-volume is what I'd go with. 6 Quart pan is fine, but and 7-8 quart "kickout-style" pan is a little better. More capacity, ground clearance is good but... it may or may not work for you, depending on your steering linkage clearances and chassis. Check on it. Oil lubricates and HELPS cool also, the more oil capacity, the better.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)