Quote:

Quote:

If its NOT adequate with a standard pump then a HV pump represents a bandaid required in order to reach acceptable pressure in an engine with excess clearances.

That is true, unless you are running full groove bearings which will require additional oil flow. I would say a HV pump is not a bandaid in that situation, more like a fact of life.

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of the NHRA Mopar SB racers use the non high volume oil pump and the standard bypass spring,

Non high volume with standard bypass spring???
Do they come with different spring pressures? Then what are the springs they put in high volume pumps? Sounds like you can get options on springs with either pump, Please explain?

There are two pumps, the regular and the High Volume pump. The HV pump just had a bigger body and a pump rotor, making it pump more oil. There are two bypass springs, the regular spring and the high pressure spring. Both the regular pump and the HV pump come with the standard spring. I think you can order a HV pump to also come with a high pressure spring but the regular HV pumps do not come with them. You can put the high pressure spring in with either the standard or HV pump. All the high pressure spring does is raise the maximum pressure of your oiling system. The only times you ever see maximum oil pressure is when the engine is cold and the oil is thick, and when you wind your engine to max rpm. Since the stock type spring goes to like 75psi or somewhere around there, I've never seen a need to run a higher pressure spring. A higher pressure spring of course does not affect your oil pressure at a hot idle or during normal driving with the engine/oil up to temp.

According to the guys at Melling a hi volume pump has a different pressure bypass spring than a regular pump. 70lbs, vs. 55 lbs.

http://www.melling.com/Aftermarket/TechTipVideos.aspx