Well I got the carb apart and I found a few things wrong....

1) One of the nozzles on the accelerator squirter is completely plugged That might explain the slight hesitation that I was hearing when I blipped the throttle, even after fixing the distributor...

2) Found some more tar on/in the boost venturi on the driver's side. It was building up in the crevaces between the venturi and where it mounts to the carb body.

I thought I'd just be able to clean this up (surprisingly, both bowls are pretty clean- no sediment) but to do the job I'd like to do I'll probably wind up destroying some of the gaskets, so I'm going to order a gasket set for it and replace everything. Might as well since I'm going to have to tear this down completely to make sure I get all that tar out of there

Quote:

David,out of curiousity,how are you adjusting your idle speed and your mixture screws ?

Here is an AVS that idled at 800 rpm and worked perfect.You have way too much transfer slot exposed.Like I said before,bump up the timing,adjust your idle speed then your mixture screws.You will have to adjust both mixture and idle screws more than once until you get it right,one affects the other.There is no set in stone amount of turns on either adjustment,just a starting point,adjustment is whatever your particular engine requires.

Thanks for the pic Max - I did my little experiement with resetting the idle screw so it was just touching the stop with the throttle completely closed and when I looked at the transfer slot I saw pretty much what your picture shows - maybe slightly less than a 'square's worth.

How I had adjusted the idle speed- well I was going with the factory setting of 750rpm (I have manual trans), and using the tach I would start each mixture screw at 1-1/2 turns out from the seat. Then I'd turn out one until I maxed my RPMs, then gave it a 1/4 turn more, reset the idle speed then repeat procedure on the other mixture screw, then repeated again on the first screw. This was all with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

But when I get everything back together I'll increase the timing and re-tune everything to see where it gets me.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T