The last few times I've driven my Dart, I've noticed a weird sound almost sounds like a vacuum leak, seems to be more pronounced when hot. I have not checked for vacuum leaks but the car runs fine other than the noise, until today.

Today as I got home, turned the car off, went around to open the garage then came out and started it, it was hot (216 water temp) and once I got it in the garage I turned the fans on, and after about a minute of running, it died.

I was watching it as it ran and I could see (I have one of those plastic see thru fuel filters) that within the filter there were some bubbles (not a rolling boil, just a few bubbles) and the filter -- which is mounted so the fuel goes vertically up -- was only about 50% full. Once the car died I verified that the fuel level in the carb was low because I have the see through fuel level windows.

So there is some problem with the fuel pump I think, not pushing enough into the filter (I have looked at the filter in the past and it's full). Would it also explain the weird vacuum/whirring sound? The fuel pump is about 5 years old, it's a carter mechanical stock replacement.

So could the fuel pump issue and the noise be connected?