Interesting, the only block I personally saw split in half was a built up rev happy 273 stock stroke .040 over, split it self right up the mains to the cam. No I did not take pics. I also blew a couple cylinder walls out of a 318 but they were way thinner than the guys that sonic tested it told me they were

As for cubic inches and "not enough head" that is only if you think you have to turn it a bunch of RPM and wear out valve springs. Why build a 340 that makes peak power at 8000 when you can build the same motor with a 4.25 crank and make the same power at 6200 ? It is a well documented fact that an 8000 rpm valve train costs a whole lot more than a 6200 valve train. Piston scuffing is gonna be just as bad on an 8000 rpm 340 as a 6200 rpm 4.25 stroker.

As for too much TQ for a light car that is just plain BS, just gear it higher and you get the same TQ at the rear wheels. That is all a car really cares about, TQ at the wheels. Think about it... If you build a high RPM motor you gear it really low to convert the HP into TQ and buy lots of valve springs

Plenum volume is a whole different subject, more carb generally means you need less plenum, more plenum covers for too small of carbs.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!