Quote:

try backing up while pulling lever

What transmission is in it? Auto, put it in neutral and see if you can move the 4wd shifter, if you can, it will grind some, but you will know the shifter is moving the transfer case. Then put the trans back in gear and move it gently and the transfer case shifter should engage. As I recall, it doesn't move far. If it is a manuel, I always had the truck moving just a little, pushed the clutch in and moved the transfer case shifter. Just have to think of it as 2 transmissions and the transfer case has to be in line just right for it to work. Not exactly the case, but that is the best way to look at it.

If you think it went in 4wd, just go under the truck and try to move the front driveshaft. If it won't turn, the transfer case is in gear, but that doesn't mean the front axle has locked together. The other part is that goob of stuff right over the left tube (drivers side), on the front axle. All that is or does is connect the left side axle together. At least I think it does. Think of it as 2 broken parts, and even if one part is fixed the other will prevent it from actually trying to rotate the front wheels.

I gave that truck to my son who has had it now for 10 years, and it is still going strong. 318 TBI, 4 speed, 3.54 gears. I bought it new in 88, best truck I ever owned.