Quote:

I like to use them also, Dad always tought me to use a strong soapy water mix it helps to clean the cylinders as they are being honed. I used a very strong detergent and water mix on the 340 I just did that had sat after a machine shop bored and honed it, They let it sit too long on its side and had a few rust spots. After sheep sh#t honeing it, they cam out really nice, and I hardly had any mess in the cylinders to clean up after I was done.

Reading the cylinders with my dial bore gauge told me they still were true, and had no taper, so I ran with it.

Some guys use wd40 as a lube, some use hone oil, some use engine oil, its your preferance I guess.

Kasey

Never heard of using soapy water for honing before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would serve the same purpose as honing oil...cool, lubricate and flush out the residue.
As for BRM recommending using only a flex hone on a fresh bore, that sounds stupid to me. You need to hone at least .003" to get past the fractured metal after boring. A platue finish finish takes about 4 sepate steps to get and requires a 600 grit stone, no metal is removed and is more of a burnishing.