A lot of info flying around in this thread, and a person's experience is what it is, but I am surprised at some of the results posted.

I have only one personal experience with a SB Mopar on-point with this discussion. It was a stock 1968 short block 340 (actual CR 10:1?) and the mopar hemi grind cam. That probably put the IC point about the same as the cams you are talking about. It would not run on unleaded pump premium, which was Sunoco's Ultra 94 octane. This was a very long time ago, and maybe the pump gas is better today.

Also, I have noticed that you can get different results for dynamic compression ratio depending on the calculator used. Plus, some use IC at 0.004" to 0.006" lift, some 0.050" lift. Some don't tell you what to use, and one actually tells you the wrong one to use. There are commonly used calculators out there, that if you use the advertised duration for the IC and you get a result greater than about 7.8:1 dynamic, it will absolutely detonate with an iron head.

I've seen the differences in opinion on this subject cause a thread like this to go sideways, so my recommendation is this, Joe: Go to a cam/head/engine guy that you trust and he can get you where you need to go for max. CR with confidence.