Quote:

Regardless of the blast media used, any blast media (including dry ice) will dislodge the paint and risk contaminating the orfices on the trans. I have seen dry ice blasting being done, and it makes a heck of a wet mess of the surrounding area, think wet paint.

huh?

dry ice is, uh, dry. it's CO2. no water. if you use dry ice, then the moisture came from somewhere else.

GE uses dry ice blasters to clean their equipment at the light bulb plant in Bucyrus. but there is no moisture anywhere. they're cleaning oil and grease, light bulb coating dust, etc. off the equipment. nothing gets wet.

but, yea, even using dry ice to blast a trans...not only is it going to be expensive (where you gonna buy dry ice to blast with, or the eqipment to keep the dry ice from melting before you can use it?) but it will also leave paint chips that could get into the trans.

if it was mine, and I was trying to get an "as cast" appearance, I'd try oven cleaner sprayed lightly, scrubbed with a brush and rinsed away quickly. do not let it sit, as it WILL eat into the aluminum.

but I gotta ask, why do you want a bare, 'as cast' look? it's going to tarnish and oxidize rather quickly. is there a paint you can use to just re-paint the trans?

**Photobucket sucks**