I look for a good quality distributor first.
features like adjustable mechanical advance, and if a street car, vacuum advance. The cap and rotor are really the limiting factor of the ignition system. The larger cap/rotor design is a better design, but won't fit most applications, and I don't know any boxes that take advantage of them. For example, the MDS only does multiple sparks below 3,000 rpm. Why, because at higher RPM there is less time that the rotor is under the correct terminal, and you don't want to accidently cross-fire the next cylinder early. That is a big reason new cars use coil packs.
This gets back to quality, and having the pickup, rotor and cap phased correctly. I have an old Mopar electronic ignition conversion (does not have the adjustable mechanical advance), and the cap/rotor phasing was way off.
I have not bought a new distributor in over 10-years, so I can't say whos unit to use.
In a basic sense, a stock distributor that is curved to your application and a replacement ignition box and coil would work fine in most cases. I like using the Capacitive Discharge (CD) boxes with the multi-spark, and rev-limiter features, a few examples MSD 6-AL and Crane HI-6.
These reduce the chance of a mis-fire when the air/fuel mixture is not optimal.
For performance applications, I like the "E" core coils, but most of my street cars just use a canister style coil. Most of the performance ones are going to be good as long as it matches up to your ignition system module/box. I have been running the old Jacobs Energy chrome coil for years because it has been trouble free. I think it is slightly higher current, lower voltage (0.6 ohm, 6.4mH, 90:1 turns, 40KV) than the MSD Blaster 2 (0.7 ohm, 8.0mH, 100:1 turns, 45KV.)
Jacobs went out of business.
On the Charger (400 stroker) I use a really old Mallory Uni-lite distributor as a trigger for a MSD 6AL box and a Crane PS91 E core coil. The Uni-lite modules have been know to go out. Mine went out last year, but it was almost 20-years old. The Convertible (440) has an old (now discontinued) Accel 71300E Billetproof distributor. One reason I bought it is that it resembles the stock dist, and has all the electronics inside. It has worked really well with the Jacobs coil. My truck (360) has my Mopar distributor from an old conversion kit, that I had to re-index the cap, and I use it to trigger a Crane HI-6 box, again using a chrome Jacobs canister coil.