I've been running the standard MP electronic ignition kit in the Charger since I pulled the 318 and swapped in my first 440 in 2001. I've gone through several spark boxes, some orange, some parts store replacements, some used ones. I have had several cars and trucks go through my hands over these past 10-11 years and there tends to be some "sharing of parts".
The orange spark box has a spotty reliability record. Twice I have had spark boxes work fine when I shut a motor down and fail when trying to break in a new motor. JUST the wrong time for a pivotal part to crap out, huh? I've had my head in the sand as to ignition upgrades, but have heard a few tidbits here and there, from Mallory to MSD to Firecore.... I was curious as to what benefits and/or options these kits offer. I recall some talking about rev limiters, ignition spark retard for faster cranking on startup, etc. My question is to those who use these systems. What are the features that you looked for and settled with? My combo is a 3900 lb '70 Charger with an aluminum headed 440/493, 10.8 to 1 and a MP '509 cam. Thanks guys.