...about EFI. I wonder if NHRA does the same thing with malcontents?

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- People familiar with the punishment say NASCAR has fined Brad Keselowski for comments he made criticizing electronic fuel injection.

The people spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because NASCAR did not publicize the fine.

NASCAR has been privately punishing drivers for making disparaging remarks about the series over the last two years.

The fine is believed to be $25,000.

Keselowski said last week during an appearance at the NASCAR Hall of Fame that the move to fuel injection is "a disaster." He also said NASCAR was pressured into moving from carburetors to EFI by "green initiatives" and called the process "a media circus."

NASCAR in the past quietly fined Ryan Newman for criticizing racing at Talladega, and Denny Hamlin for posts he made on Twitter.

"Because of all the green initiatives, the sport has taken a lot of flak from different groups..." Keselowski said. "I think they've been pressured into (switching to EFI) by the green initiatives. But in reality, it's no more efficient than what we have, and it costs a lot more money."

After his Q&A session, Keselowski met with a group of reporters who followed up on his comments. Not surprisingly, the oft-blunt driver didn't back off from his position in the slightest and indicated he would have preferred NASCAR stick to carburetors.

Keselowski said the switch to EFI was "absolutely" being made for public relations purposes.

"We're not doing this because it's better for the sport or better for the teams," he said. "I don't even think we're really going to save any gas.

"It gives them something to promote. And we're always looking for something to promote. But (the) honest answer is it does nothing for the sport except cost the team owners money."

In addition to the added cost, Keselowski said he's found the EFI car has less throttle response and the difficulty in starting the engine is bothersome.

Told NASCAR will likely be upset with his comments, Keselowski acknowledged the possibility of an angry phone call.

"I'm sure I will (get a call)," he said. "But that's the honest part of it. I think it's a disaster."

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com