Quote:

Quote:

Lived in Buffalo Ny most My life (over 60 years) and NEVER heard of an engine failing because of a FROZEN oil filter. How far is this to be taken ?

Again, word for word:

Quote:

"It is not simply a "full oil filter or stasis" situation. With paper pulp having so much of its chemistry composing water, when the filter medium becomes cold soaked at below even 32F, the water molecules can begin freezing and expanding, as only water does when frozen. The expansion fills voids, and thus potential significant filter medium restriction even beyond what paper normally does.
With a synthetic medium, the medium is completely unaffected by cold temperatures and flows as if 85 degrees..." George Morrison, STLE CLS

So, could the valve train clatter we periodically hear at could winter start-up be partly attributed to the frozen "paper pulp" media oil filter? Kinda of makes one think a little...

I have heard plenty of valve clatter at "cold" start when the ambiant air tem is 100+ degrees outside

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!