Quote:

I did that quick and easy test once in high school. My car(barracuda) was running with the headlights on, I pulled the cable and the car started to die so I put it back on. That was dumb lol, it burned out every single light bulb in the car that was on other than the tach light(autometer). Evidently the regulator told the alternator to go full steam and when the battery was hooked back up it caused a voltage spike. The only lights that worked after this were the turn signals, brake lights, and high beams, the only lights not turned on at the time.

I spent a good chunk of change at the parts store for all the lights.

I recently canned the mopar charging system. I put a GM CS130 alternator on the car. Now with headlights, electric water pump, fuel pump, and fan it idles at 13.9 volts. Thats with a 5" crank pulley even.

I don't see the need to totally can the mopar charging system. Modify? YES... but you can easily run a 130 amp denso of an early 2000's chrysler product and retain the external regulator. Add a fat wire between alt and starter relay and it's good to go.