Quote:

Guys, thanks for your posts. Sorry I didn't get back to moparts till now. John, I have a 1974 440 block with forged crank which is at the machine shop now getting cleaned, mag'd and checked. One cylinder had water in it and will need to be sleeved. Bought the engine with low miles. Has flat top pistons. They reach about 7/32" from the top of the cylinder at TDC. The rods are LY's. Don't know the compression yet. I have two sets of heads. The 516 closed chamber heads and a pair of I believe 846(???) open chambered heads that came with the motor.

Are u sure the pistons are 7/32" in the hole? That's over .200", if it's a 74 motor with stock pistons they maybe 7/64" in the hole which would make more sense. As these engines were about 7.8:1 compression, the closed chambered heads would bring it into the realm of half decent compression, probably in the high 8's? Still plenty safe for pump gas. But since you are having it sleeved are u putting in new pistons or reusing the old ones? It sounds like this is just a throw together engine until the stroker is done so I say use them if they check out okay and the port work isn't a total hack job.

The 516's ports look like this.

We measured the valves last week and they are 2.14 and 1.81 or close to it. They have almost zero run time but don't know how they flow.

Here's a look at the set of roller rockers that came with the 516 heads.

They have no markings on them but everything is in beautiful shape.

I have a set of early TTI ceramic coated headers stamped TCPPA440 with zero miles on em. We think they are 2". I called TTI and they said they would fit B or RB engines but dang if I didn't ask the diameter. I have an edelbrock performer intake also.

I know better than to throw a bunch of speed parts together for no rhyme or reason, but I am trying to get something in the car to show it with this spring. I have plans for a 451 stroker later. I also need suggestions on a cam and carb for this engine. This is a street car with 3.91 sure grip and 727 trans. Would like lots of low end torque and decent idle but want some lope.

I'll know early next week if the block is worth screwing with. If it has to be punched out, we are going a different direction.

Lindy