Quote:

Big block or small block?
I put a 130 Amp alternator on my big block, but had to re-locate it because it was too deep to fit in the stock location. I think the 90-amp denso alternators are smaller, and I also think the alternator has more room depth wise on a small block than on a big block. My alternator was off a newer truck with the serpintne belt, but the pulley is keyed and held on with a nut and washer, not press fit like the old original style alternators so it is easy to replace. I went to an alternator repair shop and get a v-belt pulley for less than $20 so it's not that big a deal.
One issue may be the spacing between the belts on a multi "v" belt pulley, if you are using two belts? The electrical part is pretty easy.
I would switch to an electronic voltage regulator, but the stock mechanical one should work if you ground one field wire (the other connected to the mechanical regulator.)
With the electronic regulator the +12 volt switched power that went to the mechanical regulator would now connect to the new electronic regulator AND one of the alternator field connections. The other field connection would run back to the regulator.
The Alternator output terminal, connect the stock output wiring and add another 10-AWG wire that connects back to the battery positive (or Starter safety relay BATT connection) through a fuseable link. Thats really all you need.
For high draw loads like the radiator fan, you should add another connection/wire to the alternator output stud to get power directly from the alternator.

Not sure where your at in Colorado, but if your around the Denver area I could give you a hand if you need help.

Sounds like I am getting all the answers now. Thanks! I think I have all I need now. Someone at some point upgraded to a square back alternator at some point. I have found the pulley I need too (early 90's van & truck), they are just a B*&%$h to get off in the u-pull yard. Since you mentioned I'll check out the spacing on the actual new pulley and see if it's spaced the same as the original one.
I'm down in Parker, not too far from you in Aurora. I may take you up on your offer! I'll keep you posted.