Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What rear gears would a 78 Volare 4dr with a factory 360, auto and 8 1/4" have?

If I had to guess I would say 2.45's. All 3 V8 F body 8 1/4's that I've had were 2.45.

Hmmm... thats what i was gathering from the above posts. That would explain the killer mileage i got in that car... i didn't know a 360 could get that kind ov mileage. It wasn't exactly slow off the line either. It really picked up after 30, but off the line i wasn't unimpressed for a bone stock grampa car...

I actually won a couple road races in that car. All i did was lower it with 255/50/VR 15 tires. It had legs... . . .

Did the 360 have a 904 or 727? Whatever the new equivalents (999 or 998) are. The newer 904 variants had the lower first gear just to match up with the highway gears.

I have a 1982 Imperial with the anemic 140 hp efi 318 and 2.24 rear. It isn't too bad off the line because of the lower first gear. It ran great on the highway and could get some crazy mileage 24-26 mpg straight highway. It got about 17-18 mixed and that is in NYC rush hour.

I am 99% positive it was a 727. That car was untouched and bone-stock... everything was HD in it. It was a special order car (i bought it from the first owners grandson) and the guy wanted the fastest Mopar car possible in 1978.

I'll say this though... the 70 Challenger project is a go, and after driving a 96 Mustang GT 5spd for the last 4 years and the memories ov that Volare, plus ideas from this thread, the car is getting 2.76 gears in the 8 3/4". I wish i could get higher gears... something around 2.5 for the 8 3/4". At least till i can afford a REAL OD 5 or 6 speed (read: no time soon).

My goal is simple, while fast and stupid powerful is fun (and i have the parts handy to do that) i will drive it more if it gets better mileage. I need to cut down my fleet/clean out my driveway, build or buy a commuter DD, and do SOMETHING with this poor Challenger after sitting 12 years. I'm gonna kill as many birds with one stone as i can. Its light enough it'll still be plenty fast.