I've run AVS's on almost everything I've ever built (Small blocks, Big Blocks, even an old 2.2 4cyl that I wanted to see if I could run with one) and never had any issues with them.
The trick is to get yourself a REAL Carter AVS.
Pick one up off of eBay, Craigslist, or swap meet. With a 383, get one that originally was on a 440 for a little extra CFM.
The currently 'Thunder Series' Eddy AVS has a tuning kit available that is completely compatible with the old AVS's. And rebuild kits are available nearly anywhere (Rock Auto, Napa, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Etc.)
I've heard good and bad about the Eddy version, but the cost is what keeps me from buying one and trying it.
$ for $ though I find it hard to justify the added complexity in both the Carb and the tuning of a Holley. Not when I can swap rods out of a AVS in under 2 minutes. And with no gaskets below fuel level, you will never have the issues with fuel leaks like I've seen in soooooo many Holleys. I can pull the top and have the jets swapped inside of 10 minutes- on the car, and you adjust the air door of the AVS secondaries with a pair of screwdrivers! Just a much much simpler carb to deal with.

I'm sure many people have had great success with Holleys as well. So really it comes down to what you know and how much you are willing to learn.
Presonally, I'm looking to put a Predator P6000XI on my next project.
One Biiiiiggggg venturi. Great carb if you have the hood clearance.

Just my pennies,
CC.