Quote:

#'s matching means you can always take it off but you can never get it back (metal on the block, yes it has been decked once) I agree with you that I should get the heads in my hands and truly see what they are, thanks. The guy @ 440 source said it shouldn't be a problem cutting 4cc (that would put me @ 9.8 with .049 quench) out of a bowl without issues but they were unwilling to do it and talking to my machine shop they were VERY uncertain about doing it.

Also the engine is already out of the car so changing plugs and timing or other things are not going to happen. However, I beleive total timing (no va) was about 28, initial was 13-15. MSD box with mallory magnetic pickup, Mallory coil.

I think you are on the right track looking for a better combustion chamber/quench. The open chamber 452 and similar heads were an emissions and manufacturing compromise... not a very efficient setup. I run Ed heads and the 440 source are similar. You will get better airflow, more efficient combustion and detonation resistance. .045" - .050" quench helps... .040" is better. It would be worth considering a thinner Cometic gasket (.028" minimum from memory) to get the quench closer to .040 and compression up a bit. A CR in the low 10's should be very robust against detonation with .040 quench and your cam. My