Goodyear Arizona
M
midnite360 Offline OP
super stock
midnite360  Offline OP
super stock
M

Goodyear Arizona
How is this done? It says fill the engine with oil and then spin the mip with a drill... but how can I get to eh pump with the pan on?

Re: Prelubing a new engine [Re: midnite360] #996815
05/21/11 08:42 PM
05/21/11 08:42 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

but how can I get to eh pump with the pan on?

SB I'm assuming. Get a hardware store 5/16" hex shaft (forgot how long it needs to be) and they are getting harder to come by in retail stores OR order a MP one OR take an old intermediate shaft & grind the teeth down to the root on your bench grinder (they're soft/takes several minutes). Take out the dist and inter shaft & on a new build use Andy's tip & spin it for a few seconds w a speed handle to check that the pump is free then chuck it in a drill & spin it CW (SB). You will need to hand turn the crank to hit the 2 sweet spots where the head(s) get oil and if this is a cam breakin I much prefer to get this done then lube the lobes/lifters then reinstall the valvetrain and if it's solids I (1)set the lash (2) preoil (3) remove valvetrain (4) lube lobes/lifters (5) reinstall valvetrain as the adj will not change nowhere near a noticeable amt from a simple R&R and this'll will keep the goop from being scrubbed off & w the cam issues you need not take any chances. Read "break in secrets" at www.mototuneusa.com. EXCELLENT ring break in info (5 min read) EDIT A hex shaft has 6 sides or could weld a piece of Allen wrench on the end of a length of 3/8" round stock would would for sure b easy to come by and cut a piece off of a 5/16" Allen wrench

Last edited by RapidRobert; 05/21/11 09:32 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth