07/31/08 09:09 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Hi Guys,
I have a question on my 440-6 throttle linkage setup. On the Center Carb's throttle lever, there is a slot where the two outboard carbs' throttle rods meet and are connected by a nut. (circled in the picture).

On my setup (I've never modified it since owning), the nut in the picture is connecting these two rods together, but it is not tightened to this slot on the center's throttle linkage. In other words, when I pull back the throttle on the Center carb, the outboard rods in the linkage do not move - they just stay in place. (sorry if that doesn't make sense... ).

Anyway, I was just wondering if the nut holding the two Outboard carbs together in this picture should be tight in this slot -- or if it is supposed to be loose and not move with the throttle linkage?

Thanks for any insight on how this six-pack linkage is supposed to work!

4589019-linkage.jpg (268 downloads)
Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97861
07/31/08 10:36 PM
07/31/08 10:36 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Stan,.....your linkage set up is correct, the center carb is your primary throttle control, when the sixpack opens via vacumm activation in the outboard pods, the end carbs are open together and in unisom and controled via the linkage, when you close the throttle at speed, the "stop" in the slotted center carb linkage you are refering to closes down the inboard carbs,.....is your sixpack "opening" up on the road, when you "get on it!".....there's no I think so answer here!.....you'll know if it's opening up or not!

4589353-0000a.jpg (87 downloads)
Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: DAYCLONA] #97862
07/31/08 10:51 PM
07/31/08 10:51 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks Dayclona.

I suspect it's not opening up as it should (or maybe at all?) when I accelerate hard. I've wondered for sometime whether I'm really running on just the center 2-bbl. Anyway to know for sure?

My concern about nut that connects the two outboard carbs in the slotted throttle linkage piece, is that while it is tying those two rods together fine, it turns freely in the slot. So, for example when I pull back the throttle return manually while standing by the carb, I can see that the two outboard linkage rods don't move at all.

I would have thought the nut should be tight in that slot, so that when the throttle is pulled back like that, it would in turn move the outboard rods. I've been hesitant to play around with trying to tighten it yet as I wasn't sure if the rods were supposed to move or not when the throttle is pulled back.

On a similar note, when I try to turn the throttle plate tabs (end point of the rods) at the carb base of the Outboards, they also don't budge. So, now I'm wondering if I have stuck/warped throttle plates in the outboards....

Thanks for the help!

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97863
07/31/08 11:00 PM
07/31/08 11:00 PM
Surface of the Sun, AZ
Hotwheelsjr Offline
I Live Here
Hotwheelsjr  Offline
I Live Here

Surface of the Sun, AZ
As Dayclona said, your rods are correct. As the throttle closes, the slot will make contact with the rods and force the outer carbs to close -- they open with venturi vacuum from the center carb.

Not being able to move the outer carb throttle plates is for sure a problem. They should move freely...they may be froze up for some unknown reason. Only way to know is to take them off and inspect them. Make sure you crack open the throttle first, otherwise, that slotted part of the center carb linkage will not allow you to open the outer carbs -- that's why it's there. With the throttle pulled back on the center carb, the outer throttle blades should move freely.

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97864
07/31/08 11:06 PM
07/31/08 11:06 PM
North Chicagoland
N
newbee69 Offline
super stock
newbee69  Offline
super stock
N

North Chicagoland
Quote:

I would have thought the nut should be tight in that slot, so that when the throttle is pulled back like that, it would in turn move the outboard rods.

If the linkage was tight like you are stating, then the outboards would open up with the initial throttle. Remember that the secondaries open via vacuum and you dont want them to open too soon. If you feel that they are not opening up soon enough, then replace the springs. That is the basics of it but someone will chime in with more detail. Hope this helps.

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97865
07/31/08 11:47 PM
07/31/08 11:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

that shouldnt be a nut. it should be a rivot looking thingy with a washer/flangy thingy and a clip.

it is supposed to be loosy goosy and slide along the open half cresent in the linkage.

to outboards open on vacuum but ONLY when the middle carb is open (thats what the crescent slot does- allows the outboards to open when the middle is open and CLOSES the outboards when the middle is closed)

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question #97866
08/01/08 05:31 PM
08/01/08 05:31 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

that shouldnt be a nut. it should be a rivot looking thingy with a washer/flangy thingy

There's been several different "repro" linkage assemblies, over the years......I know as I have several sixpack cars, .....in fact all I have is sixpack cars.....all I like to work with is sixpack cars......Ryan,with engine off, check to see if your outboard carbs may be stuck, disconnect the snap on clips, that holds the linkage on the front and rear carb throttle shafts,....you should be able to freely, with little to no effort open the throttle on the front and rear carbs,.....if not, before going into a panic, and ripping the carb off, just loosen the 4 base nuts/ bolts, and wiggle the carb around while activating the throttle shaft on said carb,....sometimes the bore on the manifold prevents full throttle activation, if the throttle dosen't move at all, remove the carb,....most likely the throttle plates are "stuck" in their bores, remove the base/ throttle plate from the carb body, 5 or 6 screws if I remember, try and free the throttle, if you susceed, use some 320 grit sand paper, and sand/ polish only the areas that appear to have galling or rub marks on the bores and throttle plates themselves,.....do not attempt to unscrew the round throttle plates from the shaft, the screws will shear, they are locked on.........if none of the above applies to your problem, and the carbs, operate freely as far as the throttle action, but still do not open, confirm that the vacumm lines are hooked up properly.......you may want to open up one of the pods on the front or rear carb, to see what color spring is inside,....if black or brown, this may be your problem, as they are "heavy" springs,.....you'll need to change them out, Holley makes a spring kit for this, you'll need two kits..........the instructions will tell you to use the next "color" down from what you have, based on the supplied chart,....screw it!.......you'll be there all day playing with springs, put the WHITE ones in each pod, go for a "run" and have at it!.....

Ryan I hope this info helps?....good luck!

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: DAYCLONA] #97867
08/01/08 07:30 PM
08/01/08 07:30 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thank you everyone for your help and advise! I really, really appreciate the time and information!

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97868
08/02/08 09:53 AM
08/02/08 09:53 AM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
One more question on these outboard carb vacuum pods .. Looks like it's easy enough to open these up w/o removing the carbs.. Do I need to be concerned about messing them up by taking off the covers? (haven't seen inside one yet - so wanted to make sure parts won't start jumping out on me).

Also, it sounds like the "white" springs are the lightest, so that would probably be my best bet to make sure my outboards open up when I step on the gas hard? Are these springs/kits easy to come by? Would I need to find a Six-Pack specialty place to order them through -- I am thinking they are probably not widely available otherwise??

Thanks a lot for all the help!!

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97869
08/02/08 10:04 AM
08/02/08 10:04 AM
Bucks County, PA
500Stroker Offline
500Stroker  Offline

Bucks County, PA
summit or any speed shop would sell the spring kits

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97870
08/02/08 10:10 AM
08/02/08 10:10 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Springs are the same as a four barrel but you need two sets.. When you open them the only thing inside is the spring & the diaphram thats connected to the rod that opens the throttle plate...The issue becomes the diaphram being 35+ years old if it isn't split already & the cause of your non-operational secondaries it may not like being handled or getting seperated from the housing...While your looking for springs you might wanna look into replacment diaphrams as well...

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97871
08/02/08 10:28 AM
08/02/08 10:28 AM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
You may also have the same problem I had on those newer replacement carbs. The very small air passage that goes from the diaphram housing to venturi bore may have been plugged solid from factory. There is supposed to be a very small passage of air through there, and the factory screwed up and capped it completely. You'll know, if you put the lightest springs in it and it does not bogg pretty well then throw you in the back seat, that they are not opening .

Re: Six-Pack Throttle Linkage Question [Re: stan1970] #97872
08/02/08 10:05 PM
08/02/08 10:05 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

One more question on these outboard carb vacuum pods .. Looks like it's easy enough to open these up w/o removing the carbs.. Do I need to be concerned about messing them up by taking off the covers? (haven't seen inside one yet - so wanted to make sure parts won't start jumping out on me).

Also, it sounds like the "white" springs are the lightest, so that would probably be my best bet to make sure my outboards open up when I step on the gas hard? Are these springs/kits easy to come by? Would I need to find a Six-Pack specialty place to order them through -- I am thinking they are probably not widely available otherwise??

Thanks a lot for all the help!!

Stan,.......the PN# for the spring kit is 20-13( Holley PN#) retails for about $10, any speed shop, Summit, PAW,Jegs,Advance Auto, etc can get them!,,,,,if you need them, order 2 kits,......nothing hiding under the pod covers to be afraid of......6 screws, gently remove the top cover, try not to disturb the diaphran, the springs kind of "snap" on a boss, located under the pod top lid, make sure the outer edges of the rubber diaphram don't rollover or become dislodged, ALSO install the cover correctly, theres a passage that must line up, you'll see a small port hole aronnd the outer edge of the pod base where the cover "seats", (towards the carb body) that small port hole must line up with the port hole in the cover, (it's possible your covers may be indexed wrong blocking off the port>)....so check!..... when you reinstall the springs/covers, after you install new springs(if you have too?) with the carb (outboard) linkage undone, check to make sure the throttle moves, and returns to its closed position on the 2 outboard carbs, if not, something happened when you put the pod covers on,....usally the spring falls off the pod cover boss, and you can't/ didn't see it happen, (I've opened brand new end carbs and have seen this from the factory {holley})....hope this helps Stan,.......good luck

4593750-0000a.jpg (72 downloads)