Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: Challenger 1] #977360
04/22/11 10:01 AM
04/22/11 10:01 AM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
I love Chrome Moly cages so I don't want to mislead you. But, last I checked there is no 1.75" .083 chrome moly. If you are doing a roll bar 6 point 1.75 is what you use for NHRA spec. Full roll cage go with CM and save 100 lbs.

$2,200 is insane for a 6 point. I do them for about 25% of that.

Someone had a pic of there deal. It looks nice other than the rear upper hoop support bars cannot make the angle requirements when they are welded in front of the shock mount like shown in the picture. The whole reason for these bars is to keep from pulling the cage behind you in the event of a frontal collision.

What the cage is attached to #1
Like BG said the placement of the bars #2
The fit of the tubing joints #3
The weld #4

The welds are extremely important but the other items are even more important. IMO

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: Challenger 1] #977361
04/22/11 10:06 AM
04/22/11 10:06 AM
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dartthunder340 Offline
enthusiast
Dartthunder340  Offline
enthusiast

Colorado Springs, Colorado
I took mine to a chassis shop. I asked if I could be part of the process so I could learn and they said sure. The car was down there forever because I was only able to go down on weekends, but it was a great experience for me.

Better get inside Ma. Looks like a storm's comin'.
Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: Paul_CSM] #977362
04/22/11 12:17 PM
04/22/11 12:17 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Quote:

Greg - not really sure if i care that you think i am arrogant or not.

All i am trying to say is that welding is a very specialized process and needs to done correctly , especially when dealing with safety items.

I am sorry that a safe race car takes the fun out of it for you. I feel only people with proper training and experience are qualified , not everybody that buys a welder.

I was simply stating my opinion based on a lifes worth of manufacturing experience.

I thought about it and i don't care if you think i am arrogant.

\Just what I thought you would say to a T.
First off, I did not call YOU arrogant. I said the thinking was arrogant. Big difference, as I accept that ALL of us are guilty at one point or another of the most common of human problems. So take it as I totally disagree on this one item (welding).
My car is very safe and in the same shape as new after thirty one years of abuse including some violent bumper dragging wheelstands, getting sideways at speed three times, and a lot of fast passes. There is a reason it is heavier than most. My components were chosen for the purpose of extreme long life. The only thing I did NOT do is the paint and interior. That includes my own front suspension. Yet you think that no one but a pro can guarantee it is welded properly.
People with your current philosophy often aim to govern well. Problem is THEY AIM TO GOVERN usually out of arrogant thinking or self serving desires. The easiest thing in the world is to cover up a bad motive with a good one, and in this case I doubt you realize you are doing it!
The constitution was specifically written to guard against people that think like like that. Problem is, the battle never ends. A written law is never sufficient to stop those that wish to restrict the rest of us. This is a minor deal. But the infection grows till it gets way out of hand. Just look around the world. It all starts with someone thinking they need to take control of something.

Last edited by gregsdart; 04/22/11 12:28 PM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: gregsdart] #977363
04/22/11 12:56 PM
04/22/11 12:56 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

People with your current philosophy often aim to govern well. Problem is THEY AIM TO GOVERN usually out of arrogant thinking or self serving desires. The easiest thing in the world is to cover up a bad motive with a good one, and in this case I doubt you realize you are doing it!
The constitution was specifically written to guard against people that think like like that. Problem is, the battle never ends. A written law is never sufficient to stop those that wish to restrict the rest of us. This is a minor deal. But the infection grows till it gets way out of hand. Just look around the world. It all starts with someone thinking they need to take control of something.

nicely put. exactly what i was thinking.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: B G Racing] #977364
04/22/11 02:01 PM
04/22/11 02:01 PM
anywhere@ anytime
A
actionange Offline
top fuel
actionange  Offline
top fuel
A

anywhere@ anytime
Quote:

Quote:

Back in Feb 2008 I had a 10 point chrome moly TIG welded custom cage installed for $1800.00. Has the price inflated THAT much in 4 years? And only for a 6 point?
I'd shop around a little more.

Have you priced aircraft quality CM tube lately?

No I have not checked the $ lately.
But I have noticed the prices on food are going up steadily...the Beaver Springs chicken with the special marinade is gonna cost a fortune this year LOL

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: actionange] #977365
04/22/11 07:53 PM
04/22/11 07:53 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Back in Feb 2008 I had a 10 point chrome moly TIG welded custom cage installed for $1800.00. Has the price inflated THAT much in 4 years? And only for a 6 point?

But I have noticed the prices on food are going up steadily...the Beaver Springs chicken with the special marinade is gonna cost a fortune this year LOL

Are the steaks still free?That chicken was the best

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: gregsdart] #977366
04/23/11 03:07 AM
04/23/11 03:07 AM
WI, USA
67dodge67 Offline
mopar addict
67dodge67  Offline
mopar addict

WI, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Greg - not really sure if i care that you think i am arrogant or not.

All i am trying to say is that welding is a very specialized process and needs to done correctly , especially when dealing with safety items.

I am sorry that a safe race car takes the fun out of it for you. I feel only people with proper training and experience are qualified , not everybody that buys a welder.

I was simply stating my opinion based on a lifes worth of manufacturing experience.

I thought about it and i don't care if you think i am arrogant.

\Just what I thought you would say to a T.
First off, I did not call YOU arrogant. I said the thinking was arrogant. Big difference, as I accept that ALL of us are guilty at one point or another of the most common of human problems. So take it as I totally disagree on this one item (welding).
My car is very safe and in the same shape as new after thirty one years of abuse including some violent bumper dragging wheelstands, getting sideways at speed three times, and a lot of fast passes. There is a reason it is heavier than most. My components were chosen for the purpose of extreme long life. The only thing I did NOT do is the paint and interior. That includes my own front suspension. Yet you think that no one but a pro can guarantee it is welded properly.

Amen!

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: B G Racing] #977367
04/23/11 08:45 AM
04/23/11 08:45 AM
anywhere@ anytime
A
actionange Offline
top fuel
actionange  Offline
top fuel
A

anywhere@ anytime
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tube steaks are buy one get one free...
Flank steak- well thats gonna cost ya...

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: actionange] #977368
04/24/11 10:49 AM
04/24/11 10:49 AM
Northeast
J
joeybbo Offline
joeybbo  Offline
J

Northeast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure there you go offering my expert cooking services. That's gonna cost you!!!!!

George the Steak and Chicken plus marinages will be supplied and it will be an honor. Don't listen to Ange he's getting greedy in his old age.

Well see all of the guys at the Beaver this year and really am looking forward to it.

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: joeybbo] #977369
04/24/11 02:49 PM
04/24/11 02:49 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure there you go offering my expert cooking services. That's gonna cost you!!!!!

George the Steak and Chicken plus marinages will be supplied and it will be an honor. Don't listen to Ange he's getting greedy in his old age.

Well see all of the guys at the Beaver this year and really am looking forward to it.

Joey,"You Da Man" and Ange is a "Popie Head".We shared with Ange and everyone a lot of great food last year,those boys from down south brought some tasty stuff but nothing beat your chicken and steak.Ange is starting to sound like his long lost buddy. Looking forward to BS this year.

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: B G Racing] #977370
04/25/11 09:20 PM
04/25/11 09:20 PM
anywhere@ anytime
A
actionange Offline
top fuel
actionange  Offline
top fuel
A

anywhere@ anytime
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Joey,"You Da Man" and Ange is a "Popie Head".We shared with Ange and everyone a lot of great food last year,those boys from down south brought some tasty stuff but nothing beat your chicken and steak.Ange is starting to sound like his long lost buddy. Looking forward to BS this year.

I am NOT a "POOPIE HEAD" and all the cost would be is a fine Bob George Racing T shirt. Jees Louise!
And who would my "long lost buddy" happen to be?
(Joey is gonna pay for all the diesel fuel for the trip back and forth just for being a wiseguy- LOL)

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: actionange] #977371
04/25/11 11:06 PM
04/25/11 11:06 PM
Niles, Michigan
Hitman340 Offline
mopar
Hitman340  Offline
mopar

Niles, Michigan
In my neck of the woods I get $100. a point to install a mild steel cage.Sure CM is much higher and it takes a lot longer to tig it that it does to mig it but $2,200 on the steep side.
(Is this guy hiring)???

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: Hitman340] #977372
04/26/11 11:43 AM
04/26/11 11:43 AM
Cleveland , OH
P
Paul_CSM Offline
Paul_CSM  Offline
P

Cleveland , OH
Does the $100.00 a point include material?

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: Leon441] #977373
04/27/11 01:18 PM
04/27/11 01:18 PM
Danville, NH
M
Mopar_Mike Offline OP
master
Mopar_Mike  Offline OP
master
M

Danville, NH
Thanks all for your answers. I did find someone close to me who said he can do it for around $650!
I am bringing the car by this Saturday for next week. Awesome!

RS23L7 4-Speed

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: Paul_CSM] #977374
04/27/11 08:16 PM
04/27/11 08:16 PM
Niles, Michigan
Hitman340 Offline
mopar
Hitman340  Offline
mopar

Niles, Michigan
Quote:

Does the $100.00 a point include material?

No that's just for labor.

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: actionange] #977375
04/28/11 06:35 PM
04/28/11 06:35 PM
Northeast
J
joeybbo Offline
joeybbo  Offline
J

Northeast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am NOT a "POOPIE HEAD" and all the cost would be is a fine Bob George Racing T shirt. Jees Louise!
And who would my "long lost buddy" happen to be?
(Joey is gonna pay for all the diesel fuel for the trip back and forth just for being a wiseguy- LOL)

If I'm paying for the diesel fuel then I'm racing the car. We can reverse roles. You cook and I'll race.

Re: Help With Roll Bar Install Self Do'ers please chime in [Re: joeybbo] #977376
04/29/11 07:03 AM
04/29/11 07:03 AM
anywhere@ anytime
A
actionange Offline
top fuel
actionange  Offline
top fuel
A

anywhere@ anytime
Quote-"If I'm paying for the diesel fuel then I'm racing the car. We can reverse roles. You cook and I'll race."

Sounds good to me. So we'll be taking your car and trailer? I've got the grille amd coolers...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3