04/20/11 03:56 PM
04/20/11 03:56 PM
Sk. Canada
RemCharger Offline
master
RemCharger  Offline
master

Sk. Canada
I just put in some AMD side glass for a 68 b body. The only complaints i have is the tops are wrinkled (from stamping/cutting?) and curvatures a bit off. But they are in and look good/work. Thickness is right, but seems to me they are brittle. I was putting in a vent window, and it turned to dust.

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: anlauto] #969511
04/20/11 03:58 PM
04/20/11 03:58 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Finally got a quote from ECS today. There is about a $500 difference. Is it really that much different?

theres only one way to find out

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: gtx6970] #969512
04/20/11 06:26 PM
04/20/11 06:26 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline OP
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline OP
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

Finally got a quote from ECS today. There is about a $500 difference. Is it really that much different?

theres only one way to find out

Buy them both and compare ...If I had YOUR money...

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: anlauto] #969513
04/20/11 06:55 PM
04/20/11 06:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hi everyone. My name is Charlie Vahey and I am the Glass manager for Ecs. I have spoke to many of you but I thought I should sign on here to provide an answer to some of the questions being asked. I emailed you earlier today Alan and I was sure I covered this information with you in conversations we had in the past over the phone. Tom B. told me about the discussion going on here so I thought it best if I answered your questions.

Our glass is custom fabricated with the DOT codes marked on the edges of the glass. They are placed under the trim in an area that cannot be seen once the glass is installed. If it is placed in an area that is above the trim line I have to buff those DOT marks off. Every piece of glass is inspected when it arrives and is lightly buffed to make sure that the surfaces are clean and free of any scratches. I then have to make up custom logo images for the front, rear and side glass which also include the date codes specified by my Customer. This is done with a photo-negative developing process that takes about a half hour for each logo. It can take about 5-6 hours just to etch a complete set of glass. After the etching is finished the area is neutralized and inspected for clarity. I then finish buffing the glass before it is given a final inspection and packaged for shipment. Unlike the competition that uses generic incorrect logos on every piece of their glass, our glass is given custom treatment from the moment it arrives and until it leaves. I believe the glass you get from the other vendors has one logo they use for all pieces and it does not include a date code. One logo fits all. That stands out like a sore thumb. The front, back and side glass all had different and distinct identifying logos and date codes. We even supplied the dated glass for one of the guys that helped develop the Amd glass line. What does that tell you when the competition uses us for their personal cars? You are comparing apples to oranges when you ask why ours is more expensive.

If you want glass with no logos then we can sell our sets for considerably less. Most people don't use us for plain glass because they know we can make it look just like the glass that originally came in their car. If you don't care about the original look, then our glass is not the way to go.

Charles

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? #969514
04/20/11 08:16 PM
04/20/11 08:16 PM
anlauto Offline OP
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline OP
I Live Here

Charles
Thank you VERY MUCH for your input.
As I've said in this thread, the final decision is up to the owner of the Charger...He wants me to explain why the difference in cost. I will cut and paste your reply into an email for him.
I recommended ECS in the first place, but the customer is always right...

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: anlauto] #969515
04/22/11 05:17 PM
04/22/11 05:17 PM
Maple Valley, WA
70mopes Offline
pro stock
70mopes  Offline
pro stock

Maple Valley, WA
Some input on ECS experience.

I bought a date coded windshield back in 2004 or '05 ... somewhere in the middle of my '68 Charger restoration. I never pulled it out of the box to check it other than to open the top to view it. Unfortunately when I went to use it, the upper, R/H corner had been hit at some point cracking the glass. I called ECS about some possible relief but too much time had passed and since I had not checked the part, they said they were not accountable. So I bit the bullet and re-ordered another date coded windshield. When it arrived I checked it thouroughly.

First thing I noticed was that the new part was thinner than my old cracked part. Additionally, while inspecting the surface I see a series of concave blend recesses in the lower R/H corner that looked ugly and stood out. As it turns out, and unbeknownst to me, the DOT marking in the right hand lower corner had been blended off leaving the array of marks. There were concave recesses left from the material removal and the overall appearance due to this factor was poor. I was very disappointed. I could not believe how the part could have left ECS in that condition (The older piece of glass did not have this problem with blended off DOT markings).

I called with the shipper standing by and was advised of the process ECS imparts to blend the DOT stamp away and and that is what they do to all windshields. My car was awaiting windshield installation and I did not want to go through the weeks long process of sending it back and getting another windshield (that more than likely would have had the same condition). I ended up keeping it and installing it. I was angry but composed but I remember feeling as though I was complaining and was carrying on about an issue that nobody else was. They did say I could return it but said all their glass had to go through a similar process (windshields anyway).

I can't remember if we discussed the thickness of the older part vs the new piece. As I recall there was some talk of a vendor switch somewhere in between my first and second purchase. The old part was the same thickness as OEM. The new part was not. This may have changed for the better since I had my encounter (blending quality and correct glass thickness) but I don't know for sure. I would say overall that I was very frustrated with the experience.

Included are a couple pix of the original windshield that was cracked after I unpacked it. Notice the thickness of the edge. The new part was not as thick as this part.

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: 70mopes] #969516
04/22/11 05:18 PM
04/22/11 05:18 PM
Maple Valley, WA
70mopes Offline
pro stock
70mopes  Offline
pro stock

Maple Valley, WA
Another

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: 70mopes] #969517
05/03/11 07:26 PM
05/03/11 07:26 PM
anlauto Offline OP
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spoke with Charlie today and placed my order with ECS.
Great person to deal with, very informative

Also got a chance to speak with Dave at ECS today as well...Very passionate about his products

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: anlauto] #969518
05/04/11 02:37 PM
05/04/11 02:37 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
When we were out in CA for the Spring fling we stopped by a local Mopar shop in Chadsworth (RJ) and they were installing a side window from AMD on a 70 hemi cuda. I was impressed with the quality and fit of the glass as well as the tint and curvature of the glass after it was installed. I dont think the logo was 100% correct for a OE car but few of us really have that type of car anyway. This shop has used lots of glass from AMD to date and had nothing but good things to say about the quality. Im sure, the newer ECS glass is a cut above the rest but for a real good show car the AMD glass looks very good.

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #969519
05/04/11 06:08 PM
05/04/11 06:08 PM
anlauto Offline OP
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline OP
I Live Here

I installed an AMD back glass in a 70 GTX with excellent results

Re: Reproduction OE Type Glass - PS Auto Glass ? [Re: anlauto] #969520
05/05/11 01:45 PM
05/05/11 01:45 PM
BC
70RT27N Offline
enthusiast
70RT27N  Offline
enthusiast

BC
Quote:

Spoke with Charlie today and placed my order with ECS.
Great person to deal with, very informative

I ordered door and quarter glass for my Challenger convert yesterday.

Page 2 of 2 1 2