WI Goodrich 54411 USA
C
Chaaargerb Offline OP
enthusiast
Chaaargerb  Offline OP
enthusiast
C

WI Goodrich 54411 USA
I have a 2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Stuck in limp mode.I have done the easy/ cheap stuff but still no luck. I started with the input and output sensors. The out sensor went bad about 3 years ago. If you want to test the input and output sensors you can take them out and hook up a voltmeter to the 2 pins on the sensor. With the meter in the ohm mode you can run a magnet in front of the sensor. The meter should change. If it does not then the sensor is bad. The input and output sensor connectors may look the same but they won't plug in if you have the sensor in the wrong spot they are keyed differently.I also had a couple of wires in the harness that were bad. If you think your harness is bad you can take it completely off the van and work on it on your work bench. The harness for the trans is seperate from the engine harness.There are 4 connectors on the trans and 2 in the drivers front inner fender.The inner fender is where the ECM (Electronic Control Module)is that runs the Engine/trans. The bad wires were in this area on mine. The ECM on mine had water/salt damage in the connector so I also had to replace it.The down side is that I'm still in limp mode. I don't feel bad about buying a new ECM because it was going to fail soon from the water/salt damage.The problem now is with the new ECM in I can't get the van to give me any codes. On my van you can look up the codes from the dash. If you put your key in the ignition and turn it back then forward to the run spot 3 times without starting the van it will show the codes in your trip display.It has to be in the trip mode not the mileage mode. I don't have a tach or digtal gauges. My speedometer went out the same time the trans stopped working. Does anybody know if the speedometer gets a signal from the solenoid pack? If not maybe I still have a bad wire somewhere. Thanks

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: Chaaargerb] #946967
03/09/11 11:28 AM
03/09/11 11:28 AM
ky.
K
kenworth_goose Offline
top fuel
kenworth_goose  Offline
top fuel
K

ky.
If you lost your speedo at the same time I'd be inclined to say you have a speed sensor issue. You can buy new ones that aren't any good. We've seen alot of issues with the fuse box under the hood corroding inside. Had to replace a few of them. Did you replace the ECM or the trans. controller?

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: Chaaargerb] #946968
03/09/11 05:05 PM
03/09/11 05:05 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
STUFF like this "scares" me ..... all these E sensors and switches ......

I just got a 03 Caravan with a 3.3 a couple of weeks ago ... runs like a top now ... no corrosion issues I can see. uNderhood looks really clean.... and I hope it stays that way.

DID you check codes ?

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: kenworth_goose] #946969
03/09/11 06:46 PM
03/09/11 06:46 PM
WI Goodrich 54411 USA
C
Chaaargerb Offline OP
enthusiast
Chaaargerb  Offline OP
enthusiast
C

WI Goodrich 54411 USA
Quote:

If you lost your speedo at the same time I'd be inclined to say you have a speed sensor issue. You can buy new ones that aren't any good. We've seen alot of issues with the fuse box under the hood corroding inside. Had to replace a few of them. Did you replace the ECM or the trans. controller?

I replaced the ECM and speed sensors so far. I did bench test the speed sensors and they seem to work fine. With the new ECM a can't get it to give me any codes so far. We just got a bunch of snow here so I can only put it on stands in the shop to run it. Otherwise it would take days for the snow and ice to melt off the van so I could work on it again. The Trans. Controller does sometimes make the trans not shift but does it also control the speedo? With the cover off the fuse panel under the hood it looks to be in good shape from the top side. I pulled the relay and fuse for the trans and the connectors look clean.I didn't get at it from the underside to see if it had problems yet.

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: Chaaargerb] #946970
03/09/11 11:40 PM
03/09/11 11:40 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
If it was me, I would change the solenoid pack...

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: Chaaargerb] #946971
03/10/11 12:24 AM
03/10/11 12:24 AM
Winnipeg, MB
S
sreinheimer Offline
sreinheimer  Offline
S

Winnipeg, MB
Quote:

I replaced the ECM and speed sensors so far. I did bench test the speed sensors and they seem to work fine. With the new ECM a can't get it to give me any codes so far. We just got a bunch of snow here so I can only put it on stands in the shop to run it. Otherwise it would take days for the snow and ice to melt off the van so I could work on it again. The Trans. Controller does sometimes make the trans not shift but does it also control the speedo? With the cover off the fuse panel under the hood it looks to be in good shape from the top side. I pulled the relay and fuse for the trans and the connectors look clean.I didn't get at it from the underside to see if it had problems yet.

Did you get the new computer flashed for the vehicle before you installed it? If you cant get codes through the cluster it usually means that you are not getting communication with the computer. If you have a scanner try and get codes from the ecm with it.

Call your parts house or dealer you got it from and ask if the ecm needs to be flashed first. Or try the old computer if you still have it and see if you can get codes. Also some times they will set a battery disconnect code in the trans computer and can put it in limp in mode if the battery was disconnected. Id try that before buying more parts

69 Dodge Charger - first full resto 05 Dodge Magnum R/T
Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: sreinheimer] #946972
03/10/11 09:46 AM
03/10/11 09:46 AM
WI Goodrich 54411 USA
C
Chaaargerb Offline OP
enthusiast
Chaaargerb  Offline OP
enthusiast
C

WI Goodrich 54411 USA
The ECM was programed. If I swap in the old ECM it still won't give any codes. I checked the bottom side of the fuse box and is doesn't look to bad.Not as clean as I would like to see but not as bad as the old ECM. I just got a service manual from a friend and it has wiring info and trouble shooting tips I will try today. The manual talks about the "electric pinion factor" as a cause for the no speedo but It also said the engine RPM will only go to 2300. I don't have a Tach in the van but I know it will go above 2300 RPM.I'm Thinking it still may have a bad wire in the harness. With the wiring guide and some voltage specs hopefully I can get it going.

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: Chaaargerb] #946973
03/10/11 11:20 AM
03/10/11 11:20 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Transmission control module...been this route with an 02 Stratus...I changed out the solenoid pack and it did not fix the problem..luckily the dealer swapped it out under warranty for $100, otherwise you're looking at around $500. Might try a bone yard unit...make sure if you pull a bone yard unit it has the same gears, tire size and motor. Otherwise it's got to be re-flashed to input those specs.

Re: 2004 Caravan stuck in limp mode.Need some tech help [Re: Sixpak] #946974
03/10/11 11:09 PM
03/10/11 11:09 PM
Central NY
G
GarageDodge Offline
mopar
GarageDodge  Offline
mopar
G

Central NY
Output speed sensor,wires,or tcm,start testing.