AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Quote:

RPM AIR GAP ????

Don't all big block mopar wedge engines have an "AIR GAP" intake by DEFAULT ????

just thinking out loud

At the risk of starting a big brawl I'll say that I do not think the big block Performer RPM intakes are "air gaps". It is true that they have an air space under them, but I think the term "air gap" means that the exhaust gas crossover has been eliminated. The SB "air gap" has an actual air gap on the sides of the intake. The BB intakes have the crossover connected. A Victor, or Super Victor intake for the BB are "air gaps" since the crossover has been eliminated. Anyway, that is my take on the subject. I think that Edelbrock also views the subject this way since they have both a Perf RPM for the SB (#7161) that has the crossover, and they have an Airgap RPM (#7576) without the crossover. The BB version is called an RPM not an airgap since it has the crossover.

Last edited by AndyF; 07/23/08 12:27 PM.
Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: ZIPPY] #92478
07/23/08 12:26 PM
07/23/08 12:26 PM
santa rosa,ca
RTDude Offline
super stock
RTDude  Offline
super stock

santa rosa,ca
I think I might have to get one.I was going to order up a Performer RPM,but I like the looks of that one much better.Now I just have to get rid of my unused M-1 single plane.

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: AndyF] #92479
07/23/08 12:42 PM
07/23/08 12:42 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

RPM AIR GAP ????

Don't all big block mopar wedge engines have an "AIR GAP" intake by DEFAULT ????

just thinking out loud

At the risk of starting a big brawl I'll say that I do not think the big block Performer RPM intakes are "air gaps". It is true that they have an air space under them, but I think the term "air gap" means that the exhaust gas crossover has been eliminated. The SB "air gap" has an actual air gap on the sides of the intake. The BB intakes have the crossover connected. A Victor, or Super Victor intake for the BB are "air gaps" since the crossover has been eliminated. Anyway, that is my take on the subject. I think that Edelbrock also views the subject this way since they have both a Perf RPM for the SB (#7161) that has the crossover, and they have an Airgap RPM (#7576) without the crossover. The BB version is called an RPM not an airgap since it has the crossover.

Thanks for clearing that up , I didn't know there was such an intake available .

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: JohnRR] #92480
07/23/08 03:14 PM
07/23/08 03:14 PM
Ontario,Canada
F
firefighter3931 Offline
top fuel
firefighter3931  Offline
top fuel
F

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

RPM AIR GAP ????

just thinking out loud

Yep, that would be correct John. The turkey pan creates the "air gap" between the manifold and the hot engine lube.

The SB mopars don't have a turkey pan and the bottom of the intake itself seals in the oil. The SB airgap design creates the same open space that BB engines have.

The original SB RPM dual plane was a non airgap design and the updated version has the runners raised off of the sealing surface, hence the airgap moniker.

From the Eddy website :

"The air-gap design features an open air space that separates the runners from the hot engine oil resulting in a cooler, denser charge for more power."

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chrysler/chrysler.shtml

Compare pix of the standard SB RPM to the Airgap RPM and the difference will be obvious.

***For purposes of this discussion ; "Air Gap" has nothing to do with heat crossover....at least not in terms of the way that it is referenced by Edelbrock.

Back on topic : I like the Airgap RPM for that build as well. Buzz, are you planning to dyno it ?

Ron

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: JohnRR] #92481
07/23/08 03:19 PM
07/23/08 03:19 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

RPM AIR GAP ????

just thinking out loud

Thanks for clearing that up , I didn't know there was such an intake available .

whoops , I read your reply wrong Andy , you were talking about the differences in the SMALLBLOCK MANIFOLD , I thought there was such an animal as an AIR GAP RPM for a BIG BLOCK , but there IS NOT according to the link Ron posted ?

back on topic ...

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: firefighter3931] #92482
07/23/08 04:00 PM
07/23/08 04:00 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Actually the deleting of the exhaust gas crossover is what makes the intake an "airgap". Take a look at the pictures on the Edelbrock website and you'll see that is how they define it for the SB intakes. The BB intakes aren't called air gaps by Edelbrock.

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: AndyF] #92483
07/23/08 04:36 PM
07/23/08 04:36 PM
Eastern Ohio
mopowergtx Offline
master
mopowergtx  Offline
master

Eastern Ohio
Quote:

Actually the deleting of the exhaust gas crossover is what makes the intake an "airgap". Take a look at the pictures on the Edelbrock website and you'll see that is how they define it for the SB intakes. The BB intakes aren't called air gaps by Edelbrock.

DEFINATELY not called Air Gap when its a Big Block manifold. B or RB version. Simply a Performer RPM, period. Small blocks now they make and sell two versions currently. Performer RPM which looks like a LD340 basically and designed like any run of the mill SB intake as far as being one solid piece. And then the Small Block Performer RPM Air Gap which looks like a Big Block intake simply because the runners are raised up away from the solid bottom of the manifold covering the engine creating an "AIR GAP" between them and the rest of the manifold.

RB Performer RPM 7193

B Performer RPM 7186

Small Block Performer RPM 7176

And last but not least the only one called "Air Gap" in a Mopar intake the Small Block Performer RPM Air Gap

They all have heat crossovers except the 7576 but its called an "Air Gap" because of the raised runners. And like John basically said, all single 4 barrel BB wedge manifolds already have this feature from Ma Mopar. So no sense in Edlebrock trying to attach that moniker to them thus they are simply called Performer RPM's. If you want to lose the heat crossover then block it. They just couldnt give you that option on the Small Block 7576 because of the design of the raised runners.

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: AndyF] #92484
07/23/08 04:47 PM
07/23/08 04:47 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
The eliminated exhaust crossover is a result of not the reason for the Airgap. The reason for the Airgap is to get and 'cooling' wall of air under between floor of the intake and the engine valley.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: MoparforLife] #92485
07/23/08 04:59 PM
07/23/08 04:59 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I'll stick with my original description since that seems to be how Edelbrock uses the term. If you look at any of the manifolds that Edelbrock calls "air gap" they all have the crossover deleted and the runners are fully surrounded by air. The intakes where the valley floor is isolated but the crossover is still in place are called the RPM. So it appears that Edelbrock has defined "air gap" to mean fully isolated runners.

The big block Mopar RPM could be turned into a full "air gap" intake by eliminating the cross over and machining away the webbing on the sides of the plenum. I made one of those intakes a few years ago but it took a lot of work and probably wasn't worth the effort.

Re: TM6 or AirGap RPM for 451 stroker??? [Re: AndyF] #92486
07/23/08 08:58 PM
07/23/08 08:58 PM
Ontario,Canada
F
firefighter3931 Offline
top fuel
firefighter3931  Offline
top fuel
F

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Not to get into a pi$$ing match Andy, but read the Edelbrock SB RPM airgap description again (from their website):

"The air-gap design features an open air space that separates the runners from the hot engine oil resulting in a cooler, denser charge for more power."

No mention of the heat crossover at all....they're referring to the runners being isolated from the valley. If isolated runners "define" the airgap terminology/decription then all BB manifolds that run a valley pan intake gasket are "by design" an air gap. Just because Edelbrock doesn't call the BB RPM manifolds airgaps doesn't mean that they aren't.

Sorry if you don't see it that way....

Ron

Page 2 of 2 1 2