Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

AB+E what do you base your opinion on? is it first hand experience or something you have read? just curious.

well I stripped my 69 bee with walnuts myself & like I said I was sold on soda but changed my mind after reading bad articles about it. have I used soda NO THANK YOU I restore my own cars except for paint&body work & I do agree its in the prep you have to get it off & out of all seams. so my main thing is for pros maybe okay because if my paint bubbles at seems I can let you redo it for novice users I would beware itS all in the prep baby. just my opinion like yours take it or leave it DONT CARE

You are so full of hot air ABE. Just because you read it somewhere don't make you a authority to post more bs info.

Re: Lets talk about Media Blasting Types (Soda vs Others) [Re: Challenger 1] #869679
12/21/10 09:19 PM
12/21/10 09:19 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Deuces-Wild Offline
Deuces-Wild  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Quote:

I did six wheels last week in my blast cabinet with the Kleen blast abrasive .060 grit.

Never heard of that brand. I'm sure that is coal slage. Nothing wrong with that, same stuff I use.
All the the coal slage I have used has been "non silca"

That's why my supplier quit selling silica sand and started selling coal slage. AKA Black Beauty, Black Lightining, Black this and Black that...lol

I'm thinking your .060 grit is about the same as 30/60 here that I use, which is perfect for blasting wheels.
I have done about 20 or so at a time, never hurt the stampings, not even close. I still have some in the the garage all painted. Maybe some pictures... if I go out and take em.

Thanks Guys... I will give coal slag a try.

Re: Lets talk about Media Blasting Types (Soda vs Others) [Re: Challenger 1] #869680
12/22/10 09:07 PM
12/22/10 09:07 PM
washington
A
AB&E Offline
enthusiast
AB&E  Offline
enthusiast
A

washington
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AB+E what do you base your opinion on? is it first hand experience or something you have read? just curious.

well I stripped my 69 bee with walnuts myself & like I said I was sold on soda but changed my mind after reading bad articles about it. have I used soda NO THANK YOU I restore my own cars except for paint&body work & I do agree its in the prep you have to get it off & out of all seams. so my main thing is for pros maybe okay because if my paint bubbles at seems I can let you redo it for novice users I would beware itS all in the prep baby. just my opinion like yours take it or leave it DONT CARE

You are so full of hot air ABE. Just because you read it somewhere don't make you a authority to post more bs info.

Well i may be full of hot air but I think you are full of besides that who are you to judge me get a life

Re: Lets talk about Media Blasting Types (Soda vs Others) [Re: AB&E] #869681
12/22/10 10:00 PM
12/22/10 10:00 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
i see your well on your way to making friends AB+E.

Re: Lets talk about Media Blasting Types (Soda vs Others) [Re: AB&E] #869682
12/22/10 10:08 PM
12/22/10 10:08 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
Ok I have used plastic media,sand,black beauty,air craft stripper(the good kind before the epa killed the stuff)soda and good old sanding. I have been a master certified PPG painter for close to 10 years. They all have thier places AS LONG AS IT IS TREATED AND PREPPED CORRECTLY. Even if you metal clean it with say meatl preps if they aren't used correctly you will have problems. Same can be said why we sand paint and primer. The surfacer isn't ready for the next product to adhear to it. Plain and simple. Why do you wax and grease something before you paint it or even before you sand on it? Clean the contaminents off it so that they aren't imbedded into the surface be it paint or metal.

On a side note I am starting to hear about people doing dry ice blasting. Anyone know about that? Had a guy into the shop today that talked to someone that does it. Said that he buys it out of the twin cities and that they come in strips like spagetti noodles. Said the guy told hime he wont blast the body of his 54 jeep but that the frame and engine and running gear he would do for 800 bucks. And again this guy said it was ready for paint and that it actually had an electrical charge when he was done. Not sure how much I believe on that but then it wasn't on the internet so it can't be the true word right?

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Lets talk about Media Blasting Types (Soda vs Others) [Re: chrisf] #869683
12/23/10 12:17 AM
12/23/10 12:17 AM
washington
A
AB&E Offline
enthusiast
AB&E  Offline
enthusiast
A

washington
Quote:

i see your well on your way to making friends AB+E.

thank you
have a nice x-mas

Re: Lets talk about Media Blasting Types (Soda vs Others) [Re: chrisf] #869684
12/23/10 09:13 AM
12/23/10 09:13 AM
michigan
70 buzz Offline
top fuel
70 buzz  Offline
top fuel

michigan
Quote:

i have talked to the local PPG and Dupont reps and neither have a problem with soda. Being a blaster and doing soda as my main media i hear this every day about the evils of soda. i am to the point were i am switching to walnuts because i am tired of explaining and defending soda to customers who "read on the internet"

I talked to a customer on thursday who wants his 58 bug blasted, i sugested walnuts and he said no, he wanted soda, he told me he read on the internet that walnuts leave a oil residue behind and paint falls off.

dont believe everything you read on the internet

People that use soda has to remember to neutralize before painting. I pwered washed mine before primer

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3