11/19/10 10:49 PM
11/19/10 10:49 PM
Eastern,NC
68GTS383 Offline OP
pro stock
68GTS383  Offline OP
pro stock

Eastern,NC
I recently purchased a 68 Dart Post project and want to reinstall Doors,Fenders and Hood.I think that this was addressed in the last month but can't find it.Any imput is appreciated!

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: 68GTS383] #858226
11/19/10 11:10 PM
11/19/10 11:10 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
So what is your question....?

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: Kern Dog] #858227
11/19/10 11:15 PM
11/19/10 11:15 PM
Eastern,NC
68GTS383 Offline OP
pro stock
68GTS383  Offline OP
pro stock

Eastern,NC
What is the correct installition procedure?

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: 68GTS383] #858228
11/19/10 11:24 PM
11/19/10 11:24 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Hold the part in place and put bolts in to hold it there. Good luck.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: Kern Dog] #858229
11/20/10 12:08 AM
11/20/10 12:08 AM
Eastern,NC
68GTS383 Offline OP
pro stock
68GTS383  Offline OP
pro stock

Eastern,NC
Go bother your wife or somebody else!

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: 68GTS383] #858230
11/20/10 01:00 AM
11/20/10 01:00 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
What are you asking? You just bolt the fenders on align them with the doors and add the hood. No big deal or anything special.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: stumpy] #858231
11/20/10 01:10 AM
11/20/10 01:10 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
To make sure the fenders are the right distance apart for the hood measure the hood width and add about 1/4" per side for clearance.

Fenders also need to be far enough forward to clear the front edge of the doors when they open and close.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: 68GTS383] #858232
11/20/10 02:47 PM
11/20/10 02:47 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

Go bother your wife or somebody else!

You stated that any help would be appreciated.
This isnt a difficult job, so I am stating it as simple as I can. If you are a green newbie to the hobby, this job would be easier with a helper. If you have spent any time with these cars, you will see that it is much easier than building a motor or setting up differential gears.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: 68GTS383] #858233
11/20/10 03:36 PM
11/20/10 03:36 PM
N.H.
M
mopar-addiction Offline
enthusiast
mopar-addiction  Offline
enthusiast
M

N.H.
Hang doors and align with quarters and rocker, hang fenders and align with doors, measure diagonally from cowl to fender tips to square fenders and leave appropriate gap for hood.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: mopar-addiction] #858234
11/20/10 05:17 PM
11/20/10 05:17 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Okay, it occured to me that MAYBE this job is harder than it seems. I have dismantled and assembled so many in the last 20 years, it seems so easy. I wish my skills with electrical systems were as automatic!
Heres what I do.
Find a few wooden paint mixing sticks. The ones I use measure about 1/4 inch. This will be your "guage" of gap between all body panels. In actuality, I have heard that these cars were never very consistent, but that doesnt mean that we cant improve on Ma Mopars sloppiness. An enthusiast that assembles his car isnt expected to crank out 25 cars a day, right?
I hang the doors first. Yes, a helper can be a huge asset here. I start the bolts and shift the door to achieve an even gap along the door/quarter panel edges. I put all the bolts in and snug them up. Keep in mind that there may be some additional tweaking to make the leading edge of the door blend with the fender. The top edge of the door, where the door meets the cowl can be guaged with the shaft of a screwdriver with a diameter of 1/4 inch, same as the paint sticks. I wrap a thinner one with masking tape to prevent scratches. This gap here is an ideal, but it is likely that it will end up wider or narrower to get everything to align.
The fenders mount up next. The studs that the factory installed in the attachment point near the cowl should be retained. In some cases I have seen shim washers used, but most cars that I have seen did not. I try fitment without them first, then if the fender sits too low, I'll add them as needed. In some cases, one fender will need them and the other will not. Mopar wasnt selling aerospace equipment after all. As previously mentioned, with both fenders in place, perform cross measurements ( Also known as X measurements) from the left leading edge of the fender to the right rear edge of the cowl and vice versa. The numbers should match. adjust the fenders via the bolts to the fender aprons. The hood is the easy part. There is a large range of articulation built into these hoods, so getting it to align with a car that hasn't been wrecked is fairly simple. An assistant really helps here as well.
Finally, remember that there will be some uneven gaps between body panels in many cases. I have rarely seen perfect alignment, but it can happen. My Charger was never wrecked, but when I was putting it back together after paint, I couldnt get the fender to cowl gaps consistent from side to side. Everything else was nearly perfect. Then I looked closer at other cars and saw the same thing. After talking to others, The issue became clearer. Personally, I have even gone so far as to add and file metal to edges of doors, fenders, hoods and trunklids to close up gaps that otherwise were too wide. This effort requires some forethought though. You have to do all this prior to paint and bodywork. The sad thing is, this is an effort that is lost on most car lovers. MOST people will never notice it, and few will spend the time to "blueprint" a 318 car this way. I notice these things, but I am sure that I am in the minority.
I hope this helps. Please respond with updates.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: Kern Dog] #858235
11/21/10 12:00 PM
11/21/10 12:00 PM
Eastern,NC
68GTS383 Offline OP
pro stock
68GTS383  Offline OP
pro stock

Eastern,NC
I do appreciate the info! I installed the fenders,grill and hood when I purchased the car in October.Every time that it fit in one place it looked terrible in others.I spent 20 plus years as a Machinist so any misalignment or uneven gaps really bother me.Last week I pulled the front clip off and pulled the eng/trans so the engine bay can be painted.At that time I will reinstall the fenders/hood.I guess that I needed a starting point or reference point to start from.After reading the responses I checked the doors and the drivers door was sagging a little so that is where the misalignment headache most likely started. New hinge bushing kits will installed and doors set First,then fenders and hood hopefully will line up better.

Re: 68 Dart Door,Fender and Hood Alignment [Re: Kern Dog] #858236
11/21/10 04:23 PM
11/21/10 04:23 PM
San Jose, California
D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
Quote:

Okay, it occured to me that MAYBE this job is harder than it seems. I have dismantled and assembled so many in the last 20 years, it seems so easy. I wish my skills with electrical systems were as automatic!
Heres what I do.
Find a few wooden paint mixing sticks. The ones I use measure about 1/4 inch. This will be your "guage" of gap between all body panels. In actuality, I have heard that these cars were never very consistent, but that doesnt mean that we cant improve on Ma Mopars sloppiness. An enthusiast that assembles his car isnt expected to crank out 25 cars a day, right?
I hang the doors first. Yes, a helper can be a huge asset here. I start the bolts and shift the door to achieve an even gap along the door/quarter panel edges. I put all the bolts in and snug them up. Keep in mind that there may be some additional tweaking to make the leading edge of the door blend with the fender. The top edge of the door, where the door meets the cowl can be guaged with the shaft of a screwdriver with a diameter of 1/4 inch, same as the paint sticks. I wrap a thinner one with masking tape to prevent scratches. This gap here is an ideal, but it is likely that it will end up wider or narrower to get everything to align.
The fenders mount up next. The studs that the factory installed in the attachment point near the cowl should be retained. In some cases I have seen shim washers used, but most cars that I have seen did not. I try fitment without them first, then if the fender sits too low, I'll add them as needed. In some cases, one fender will need them and the other will not. Mopar wasnt selling aerospace equipment after all. As previously mentioned, with both fenders in place, perform cross measurements ( Also known as X measurements) from the left leading edge of the fender to the right rear edge of the cowl and vice versa. The numbers should match. adjust the fenders via the bolts to the fender aprons. The hood is the easy part. There is a large range of articulation built into these hoods, so getting it to align with a car that hasn't been wrecked is fairly simple. An assistant really helps here as well.
Finally, remember that there will be some uneven gaps between body panels in many cases. I have rarely seen perfect alignment, but it can happen. My Charger was never wrecked, but when I was putting it back together after paint, I couldnt get the fender to cowl gaps consistent from side to side. Everything else was nearly perfect. Then I looked closer at other cars and saw the same thing. After talking to others, The issue became clearer. Personally, I have even gone so far as to add and file metal to edges of doors, fenders, hoods and trunklids to close up gaps that otherwise were too wide. This effort requires some forethought though. You have to do all this prior to paint and bodywork. The sad thing is, this is an effort that is lost on most car lovers. MOST people will never notice it, and few will spend the time to "blueprint" a 318 car this way. I notice these things, but I am sure that I am in the minority.
I hope this helps. Please respond with updates.

I notice. Sad to see restored cars with awful gaps. Alignment and trim are critical.