11/16/10 07:12 PM
11/16/10 07:12 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

so running the proto type painless perfect managment system for the 5.9 magnum.

It controls spark and air, vs something like the fast efi that only controls fuel.

is there a whole lot of benifit to this?
At what point would I want to have spark control?

Is it doing me any good as just a street cruiser, running a stock 5.9?

Re: what is the advantage of computer controled spark? [Re: Andrewh] #855470
11/17/10 10:02 AM
11/17/10 10:02 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
in a nutshell: computer control of ignition COULD either minimize fuel consumption or NOx pollution

At part throttle,
computer control of spark allows for more tailoring of the advance for things other than vacuum... such as
intake air temperature,
coolant temperature
quickness of throttle blade opening
how rapidly rpm is increasing,
etc
The factory '96-2001 Dodge Magnum OBD-II PCM reads all those extra factors before setting the ignition advance,
whereas a conventional distributor just sets it by rpm and vacuum.

these additional inputs are not going to give you any more horsepower,
because when you are at part throttle you can always get more power by opening the throttle more

nearly all the benefit will be to fuel economy from a more optimum ignition timing advance.
i would guess that the increase in MPG would be more than 1 but less than 3 in city-style driving

in terms of pollution,
the gases grouped together and called NOx are VERY sensitive to ignition timing.
Computer control of the timing may be required to pass the strictest emissions.

Unfortunately, the changes to ignition advance that lower NOx nearly always hurt fuel economy. Retarding timing from optimum reduces NOx gas emissions... it can cut them to a third of the NOx that would be produced at 'best torque' timing while suffering about a 15% loss in fuel economy

You seldom here a politician admit this... that the stuff they require to decrease NOx gases are increasing both CO2 gas and costing all drivers extra $

The extra $ currently being spent on more fuel to reduce NOx could have been spent on reducing water pollution,
or just increasing knowledge through education, since so many worldwide are technically uneducated.
I have wondered whether just teaching poor women outside the USA how to build cooking fires with less smoke would not be a much better use of $,
or teaching men overseas how to adjust old engines for fuel and spark.... but that is wondering off subject

Re: what is the advantage of computer controled spark? [Re: 360view] #855471
11/17/10 11:53 AM
11/17/10 11:53 AM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

That is interesting, I did not know you could help fuel economy that way.
nox is a non-issue, as the engine is in a 65 coronet, and it doesn't get tested.

I was concerned since it is a one-off system, I might be better off selling it to someone that cared about spark control and moving over to one of the FAST ez tune systems instead.
But I see there might still be merit in keeping a fully tunable setup.