440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

MSRP $85,512,
512 cid V-10 engine
Unique engine calibration
2-speed automatic transmission

512... Cool, and the price with 512 in it.
2-speed... is that an aftermarket powerglide?
$85k... not cheap, but that class is beyond me anyway.

Glad to see some factory cars.
It would be cool for us lower dollar bracket racers to get a body widely available for $10k or so. I mean they can sell a full up 6 cyl car for around $20k, so a no motor/trans/interior, etc body should be affordable to put a bracket race suspension and engine into.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: 440Jim] #818996
10/02/10 03:21 PM
10/02/10 03:21 PM
Indiana
N
nssracer1 Offline
enthusiast
nssracer1  Offline
enthusiast
N

Indiana
I love my 2009 DragPak car. Its Indy built 6.1 is a great race engine. Its mixture of new car tech and some old school drivetrain makes a killer race car. So when I heard about this V10 DragPak I thought this could be a fun Super Stocker. Now that I see the specs I dont know. I think alot of Mopar purists would not ever put a Powerglide or a Ford rear end in a Mopar. I can tell you this racer would never do it. So it hard spend this kind of money and take this car home and put a AandA 904 and a bullet proof Dana just so I can sleep at night. Call me crazy but I dont think Im alone with this line of thinking. Im going have to think about this one. I wish Mopar would consider not using these nonMopar parts. Thanks, Doug

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: nssracer1] #818997
10/02/10 04:16 PM
10/02/10 04:16 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Doug,
You are one of the most respected and winningest Mopar drivers there are...........but really...you have got to be kidding with those comments. You may not get one of these because it has a totally aftermarket, 2 speed race trans and a totally aftermarket race rear. Sure they are based on Ford and GM parts....but really...your serious??...wow

Mopar purists......would that include somebody like....say...Al Corda....he fully switched to Pontiac...doubt a trans and rear would bother him.

C,mon man, you need one of these.

Monte

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Monte_Smith] #818998
10/02/10 04:46 PM
10/02/10 04:46 PM
IN
Irun5snd8th Offline
master
Irun5snd8th  Offline
master

IN
Didnt Chrysler have a two speed at one time back in the 60's? Who said that it was going to be a powerglide in the cars anyway?
Also as a FYI Rossler makes a three speed based on a TH400. There is one in Wheatcraft's Neon. He wore me out when I put the glide in mine.
How many 9" Fords are in the SS/AH cars that everyone on this site salivates over?? If it comes stock from the factory with those parts on it then its now a Mopar part in my book. The Dana 60 wasnt a Dodge 60. It was made by Dana and put installed in the Mopars.
OK now let the begin.
BTW Mopar is doing their job because I am seriously considering building a new Challenger. I had no reason to think about a new car until these things hit the ground.

AFCO, Rons Fuel Injection sponsored Dodge Challenger Mention Street Lethal Motorsports
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Monte_Smith] #818999
10/02/10 05:37 PM
10/02/10 05:37 PM
Indiana
N
nssracer1 Offline
enthusiast
nssracer1  Offline
enthusiast
N

Indiana
Monte, Thanks for the kind words and I probaly will get one but I will just have to do a few upgrades!

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Steve1118] #819000
10/02/10 06:19 PM
10/02/10 06:19 PM
SoCal
J
jake4cars Offline
top fuel
jake4cars  Offline
top fuel
J

SoCal
Quote:

I couldn't help it...I had to check out classracer dot com to see the reaction. They are close to armed insurrection over there. For years they whined about no spectators for Stock Eliminator, now that there is something to draw them they whine about that.

A revival of the old Chrysler/Ford rivalry from the mid sixties may be just the shot in the arm the sport needs. If GM gets involved, that would be better. But, those of us who were there remember that GM was not a major player in the mid sixties doorslammer wars, regardless of what is believed, and the sport still thrived. The Ford/Chrysler wars are what moved drag racing to the front burner...they put the money in it, and pushed for the exposure. It could happen again...deja vu all over again. I lived through it the first time, and it is really, really neat to think I could see it again.

I race Nostalgia because I'm a nostalgia type of guy. But, I think this is neat. What is neat, to me, is that with all the different DP combos it is concieveable that Chrysler will OWN the top several classes in Stock Eliminator.

Now, that IS cool.

took a straw poll from some of my buddies since the news came out and have had some interesting comments, the focus group here is at least 55 years old and one owns an original A-990 Dodge. None were impressed which at first surprised me but then it occurred to me that this is a rehash of the opinions back in the 60's when muscle cars first came out. I looked through my archives of old hot rod magazines and reread the comments and articles printed then about how the factory was destroying hot rodding and drag racing with the introduction of these factory built race cars. The flatheads, 394 Oldsmobiles and early Hemis suddenly were rendered obsolete when matched up with a 409 Chevy or Max Wedge or even a 427 Galaxie. The argument of we build our cars compared to signing a check came back into play which at some times always does. I too had to wander over to classracer.com and noticed they held the same opinion as my peers. One posting over there made sense in that maybe NHRA could initialize a class just for the newer cars and keep the old school cars for the old school guys. Personally I think the new cars are cool but I am firmly a NSS guy. My friends worry not only about the value of their cars plunging but also the loss of interest they speculate people will have towards the old cars. My opinion is I didn't build the car to be my 401 so I don't care where the value goes, my wife can worry about that when I am dead. As far as loss of interest goes, any car show or NSS race I have been to always draws a bunch of people to our old cars. Doug Duell can live the best of both worlds with the race cars he owns and that is a pretty cool place to be.

I think as a group, we should be more concerned about the alarming loss of drag strips lately. Missouri just lost one, Gateway is unfortunately on the ropes I hear and Quaker City is soon to be going up for auction. Man, I am glad I made to the Hemi reunion there a couple of years ago. At any rate, if the venue problem isn't stabilized it won't matter what anyone builds, I am too old to go back to the Berlin Turnpike at midnight to race my junk, my bedtime gets earlier and earlier,LOL
Joey

6229399-silver-2.JPG (49 downloads)
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: jake4cars] #819001
10/02/10 07:52 PM
10/02/10 07:52 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Some people, especially older racers, are VERY resistant to change. They DO NOT embrace new technology and constantly reminicse about the "good old days", that were in all actuality, not that great. Sure, the cars were cool, but thats about it. There were no decent parts, not many places to race and the pay was laughable. I can see them not embracing the "new" cars, because it is not what they grew up with and they are not comfortable with EFI and new technology.

EFI is the way of the future, without a doubt and it has already been proven what these new combos are capable of. NHRA will get a better handle on the factors and I would not be worried about all the old school cars being factored out. One thing I would like to see, is a combining of both worlds. Similar to IHRA "crate motor" classes. I would like to see you be able to drop a late model EFI HEMI into a Duster, Challenger, Volare, whatever. The best of both. Old style cool cars and modern power. It would be easy. A factor is a factor, does not matter if the weight goes in a 2010 Challenger, or a 70 Challenger

Monte

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Monte_Smith] #819002
10/02/10 08:23 PM
10/02/10 08:23 PM
Minnesota
Barnstorm Offline
mopar
Barnstorm  Offline
mopar

Minnesota
Me checking out Randy Hopkins Cobra Jet. Nice hat says it all. Doesn't look like a race car inside..just factory nice. Even has the SYNCH voice command...say "run 8.52" and it does. I'm 66 and would race one if I hadmoe $. I'd keep the 64 car because it sounds better.

The little old lady from Pasadena is back!
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Monte_Smith] #819003
10/02/10 08:38 PM
10/02/10 08:38 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

Some people, especially older racers, are VERY resistant to change.

of which running 1.7 under the index or whatever . they remember using the national record with allowing a tenth beakout for handicap in running for the Eliminator .
to them this "NEW" way sucks. Don Frezel hit the AA/S record already

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: HEMIFRED] #819004
10/02/10 11:40 PM
10/02/10 11:40 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
I think Jake and Monte both made great points. I guess, too, I'm resistant to change....but, then again, not all change is good, either.

I remember all the whining and carrying on back in 67 when S&M and Landy started the exodus from funny cars back to legitimate doorslammer racing by starting the factory SS/Clinic program. In fact, I have around here an old Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Magazine with a large article named "Are the factories killing Super Stock racing?". I mean, it was close to being a national scandal. We've seen it all before. It will not happen today anymore than it happened then.

I'm a geezer. I'm not interested in racing the new technology, not because I dislike it, but it's not my thing. I grew up drag racing in the mid to late sixties, the Hemi B-bodies are what I love and will continue to race. I don't see the Nostalgia scene losing steam any time soon. People still love the old stuff, and that isn't going to change. Legendary cars are still going to be legends.

That being said, I do think that the new cars are very, very good for the sport, as a general rule. To me, the cookie cutter Top Fuel, Funny Car, and even Pro Stock show has gone stale, and I don't even bother to watch it on TV anymore. I simply don't care. The only class I care about at all is SS/AH.

These cars have put some interest back in it. Although not interested in racing one, I find the fact of Chrysler owning the top several classes in Stock Eliminator really cool, and interesting. The thought of a Viper Challenger going toe to toe with one of the supercharged CJ's very, very interesting. I also think it can only help Chrysler, as it creates interest. They've seemed to have learned the lessons from the 62 on up time period pretty well.

What I think would be a good idea, is to put several cars in the hands of some teams and have them tour the country, local drag strips and dealerships...take the cars to the people, rather than trying to get folks to drive 500 miles to an event to see the cars. Maybe even get some of the Fords to do some match racing.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.....

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Monte_Smith] #819005
10/03/10 10:26 AM
10/03/10 10:26 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quote:

One thing I would like to see, is a combining of both worlds. Similar to IHRA "crate motor" classes. I would like to see you be able to drop a late model EFI HEMI into a Duster, Challenger, Volare, whatever.

Sounds like Super Stock GT, that being said I don't think all the Gen 3 Hemi engines are in the classfication guide but those for the Drag Paks are.

SUPER STOCK/GT
Reserved for foreign and domestic factory-production two-door coupes, two-door sedans, sports cars, or convertibles with any production V-8 engine of the same make. Year of engine optional. Only those engines and/or bodies listed in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide are eligible for competition. Also see WEIGHT. Cars will be classified using the shipping weight of the body divided by the horsepower or performance rating of the engine used. Factory production rear-wheel-drive cars must have originally been equipped with a V-6 or V-8.

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Mancini Racing] #819006
10/03/10 10:47 AM
10/03/10 10:47 AM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
Maybe I'm stupid and poor but 85 grand and change plus 6800 for paint and 7950 for a cage?
Over 100K for what???
They must be joking.
Send a chally body to Bickel for that cash.
It aint your fathers hemi and never will be.
The way things are going, no mddle class in 20 years, therefore extremely limited demand.
Todays economic circumstances are just the beginning.
The wealthy few gonna want to play with these cheap rides or that Lambo?
Ridiculous price, again mopar out to lunch.
HEY MOPAR, JUST GIVE US THE BODY IN WHITE PROGRAM.
Sorry, thats my take.

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: theclutcher] #819007
10/03/10 10:55 AM
10/03/10 10:55 AM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
"Maybe I'm stupid and poor but 85 grand and change plus 6800 for paint and 7950 for a cage?
Over 100K for what???"

You will have that much in a top of the line, cutting edge class car. That is the reality of it.

"The way things are going, no mddle class in 20 years, therefore extremely limited demand.
Todays economic circumstances are just the beginning."

I'll bet you they sell every one they build, real, real quick.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: theclutcher] #819008
10/03/10 10:58 AM
10/03/10 10:58 AM
GO BUCKS !!!!!!!
340RICK Offline
master
340RICK  Offline
master

GO BUCKS !!!!!!!
I with you clutcher...........Body n white and a junkyard 6.1.....Thats HOT RODDIN

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: Steve1118] #819009
10/03/10 11:46 AM
10/03/10 11:46 AM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
You will have that much in a top of the line, cutting edge class car. That is the reality of it.

I'll bet you they sell every one they build, real, real quick.

Highly doubt the cutting edge, top of line you speak of.

No doubt they sell every one as they only making whats ordered.
Will be interesting to see how many they make.

To each his own, not here tho.

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: theclutcher] #819010
10/03/10 11:48 AM
10/03/10 11:48 AM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Quote:

Maybe I'm stupid and poor but 85 grand and change plus 6800 for paint and 7950 for a cage?
Over 100K for what???
They must be joking.
Send a chally body to Bickel for that cash.
It aint your fathers hemi and never will be.
The way things are going, no mddle class in 20 years, therefore extremely limited demand.
Todays economic circumstances are just the beginning.
The wealthy few gonna want to play with these cheap rides or that Lambo?
Ridiculous price, again mopar out to lunch.
HEY MOPAR, JUST GIVE US THE BODY IN WHITE PROGRAM.
Sorry, thats my take.

Do you really think it was any differnt in '68??? How much was a LO23/BO29 car back then? You then had to take the car home pull the motor, and go through it, paint it, and buy wheels and tires, no differnt then today. In '68 you could walk into a dealer and pay a little less then $3K for a stripped down RoadRunner, and drive it off the lot. The HEMI race cars were almost double that... No different then today. Lets face it MOPAR isn't going to give these things away. This type of racing never has been a poor mans sport, never will be.

Jeff

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: 340RICK] #819011
10/03/10 11:50 AM
10/03/10 11:50 AM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

I with you clutcher...........Body n white and a junkyard 6.1.....Thats HOT RODDIN

You have to realize that right now Mopar is trying to get as much exposure as they can, which is Stock and Super Stock class racing at national and divisional events. They have to keep up with Ford and possibly Chevy in the future. But if these programs are successful enough and it helps translate to more domestic car sales through brand awareness, perhaps bodies-in-white will be made available later for other racing venues and street rodders. They still have to get out of this economic slump before before redirecting valuable time and resources to projects that may not give them the amount of attention the Drag Pak cars have. Pulling bodies-in-white would also seem to disrupt regular production to some extent.

As for cost, one can quickly have at least $100,000 invested in a competitive SS/AH Hemi Dart or Cuda built from scratch!

I'll just keep racing what I can afford.

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: JERICOGTX] #819012
10/03/10 11:56 AM
10/03/10 11:56 AM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
Just my opinion.
Do you think the cars of today are worth 50K?
And then to double that?
Auto workers and general public taking it in chin with wage and benefit cuts.

What was the cost of those darts and cudas in 68 realtive to the average smucks income.
Compare that to now and add the devaluation of the dollar.

Anyone know this number?

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: theclutcher] #819013
10/03/10 12:06 PM
10/03/10 12:06 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Quote:

Just my opinion.
And then to double that?

Personally, no I don't, and I have not bought a new vehicle in 12 years now, and probably never will again. Just my choice, as I no longer want any car payments, and am fine with driving a $1500 beater back and forth to work the last 2 years.

Also not everyone has taken it in the shorts the last few years. Some have been smart business wise, and probably made more money the last few years then before.

Re: 2011 Challenger Drag Pak [Re: theclutcher] #819014
10/03/10 12:07 PM
10/03/10 12:07 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

Just my opinion.
And then to double that?
Auto workers and general public taking it in chin with wage and benefit cuts.

What was the cost of those darts and cudas in 68 realtive to the average smucks income.
Compare that to now and add the devaluation of the dollar.

Anyone know this number?

Try this!
Calculator of dollar worth between years.

It appears that you have to spend about 6.5 times the money in 2010 to buy what you could get in 1968. If looking at a factory Hemi Cuda or Dart, you'll also have to factor in the labor costs to make the car safe, legal and competitive. So the 2010 Drag Pak cars will be a LOT more race ready than the '68 Hemi cars.

As for everyday cars. I also say they are overpriced. But that has a lot to do with government emission and safety regulations too.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4