E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Hi Rick,
All of the aspects you mentioned were documented and put back just like they came. Even all the decals will be applied in the exact same positions that we found them in. (And they were crooked.) We took many "before" pictures to show those starting points.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: MrNormsTA] #76863
06/22/08 09:16 PM
06/22/08 09:16 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Quote:

Looks great, nice challenge guys.

Are paint runs going to be duplicated for instance on the heater box and stampings done with smears ect, ect. Decals crooked? I have taken a few original cars apart and it amazes me how rushed many of these procedures were done. I see perfect stampings and detail on many of these items on the top notch restos.

How are those items going to be tackled on this car guys, thanks? Keep up the good work.

Rick.

Rick you should know better to even ask questions like this because ECS already has them answered before you ask them.If you read his comments before hand he is going to mirror this car as though it had been teleported straight from 1970.Even though I cant help but to correct him,he is going to TRY to mirror this car.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #76864
06/22/08 10:04 PM
06/22/08 10:04 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
What is the original finish and color of your driveshaft?

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: beepbeep] #76865
06/22/08 10:25 PM
06/22/08 10:25 PM
None
71rm23 Offline
master
71rm23  Offline
master

None
Quote:

Quote:

Dave(ECS)- I could not help but notice the gasket like splash sheild mounted from the inside of the inner fender. Was this the way they were installed on the car? I thought they were installed from the outer side to allow easy removal for caster/camber adjustments. Just curious and always willing to learn.
Ron

The caster shields are the metal shields further in front.

Where did you get that picture from?

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ryangtogtx] #76866
06/22/08 10:33 PM
06/22/08 10:33 PM
None
71rm23 Offline
master
71rm23  Offline
master

None
Quote:

Dave and I had a talk about discussions on this board awhile back. I'm not sure how many guys on here participate on other boards, but Moparts has a tendency to get really "catty" about stupid stuff. I don't understand why people can't have a constructive conversation without devolving into name calling. There are people on this board who have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share it, but there are others that just can't seem to keep their keyboards quiet if they don't have anything good to say. Dave, I enjoy hearing about your restorations and applaud you for enjoying your projects. Keep up the good work.

Nice words, Ryan

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: 71rm23] #76867
06/22/08 11:08 PM
06/22/08 11:08 PM
Alabama
BigMoneyLewis Offline
master
BigMoneyLewis  Offline
master

Alabama
Very interesting thread. I wonder where this particualr car came from ? There used to be a White U code R/T Challenger with Blue longitudinal stripe here locally. It belonged to a guy out on McKee rd off hwy 53 just north of Huntsville . He had quite a few E bodies including an FF4 T/A and a FY1 N code non-R/T convertible and more. He sold out, some friends of mine helped move the cars, one guy got his pic of the litter for his trouble, anf he chose the T/A . The White/Blue U code Challenger ended up
with DJ Strebler in Sikeston MO. Just wondering if this is the same car . I am sure there can't be very many White U code R/Ts with Blue longitudinal stripes .

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

gregward@mchsi.com phone 256-852-0955
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: 70RT Charger] #76868
06/23/08 12:00 AM
06/23/08 12:00 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Even though I cant help but to correct him,he is going to TRY to mirror this car.

If you are going to throw us a correction, please at least be up to date with it’s content. Two and a half years ago we set out to “try” and duplicate an exact example of a factory correct vehicle. At the present date the “trying” is now positively classified as “succeeded”. I still don’t understand how you have admittedly never seen the car but have such an absolute opinion regarding it! Just what aspect, that you have personally seen, isn’t right about it? I guess for all the people that have inspected it in person and have concurred with what I have said, they must all be a bunch of fraternal liars. Lets see now, you know more than Steve and I do about the car, you know more than those who have viewed it in person, yet you have never seen it and have no factual basis for your ridiculous responses. Now I ask you, who is actually being the naive arrogant jerk?

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: 70RT Charger] #76869
06/23/08 01:56 AM
06/23/08 01:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been involved in Chrysler Restoration Business for over 20 years. I personally took delivery of a brand new 1970 440 SixPack Challenger. The day I got the car I crawled all over it going top to bottom. I put on headers and changed the gears the first weekend. I have known Steve Been for over twenty years. I met Dave through Steve about 4 years ago. Steve Been is an E-Body expert. Steve is an unbelieveable craftsman with the patience of Job. He is also a true perfectionist in every sense of the word. When Dave and Steve met the Chrysler Restoration hobby was blessed. They are the perfect storm. One has the resources to do what we all wish we could. One is gifted with old world craftsmanship skills to make the others dreams come true. They both possess unbridled passion for these cars. You have Dave all wrong. I have met most of the arrogant jerks in this hobby, Dave is not one of them. Dave is a true gentleman, and will help anyone. Steve called me this morning to come over and check out the White car. I was asked if I thought it was better then the Black Hemi Cuda. My opinion is that it surpasses the Cuda in many areas. Hate to tell you pal, but it is a time machine. The pictures do not do the car justice. It looks like someone just built a 1970 R/T Challenger and delivered it to Hilsboro Mo. The years of reference study, the countless survior cars documented is apparent The attention to detail is astounding. If you're jealous are just trying to give Dave a hard time I feel sorry for you. People like Dave and Steve make our cars worth more which makes the hobby prosper.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Blues_Cuda] #76870
06/23/08 04:13 AM
06/23/08 04:13 AM
Texas
6packattk Offline
mopar
6packattk  Offline
mopar

Texas
Quote:

I had the opportunity to check out the U-code 1970 Challenger R/T being restored by Steve Been and Dave Walden(ECS) earlier today.

If I had to describe it in one word, it would be WOW!

I've been fortunate enough to look at more than a few top notch restorations in my time, but this one gives me the goose bumps while looking at it. It captures several little details that many of the other high level cars seem to miss. It has the paint runs, orange peel, overspray, and the general lack of paint in other areas that our cars exhibited when new. The effort gone into making this car look as if it just rolled off of the assembly line is astounding.

I cannot wait to see this car completed.

Scott
St. Louis, MO

I would love to see this car in person and just for the record,disregard the expert nitpicking cause you are going above and beyond and I wish you guys the best of luck and should be 100%er at the judging,I appreciate anyone that goes to this much detail especially a mopar.Thats what I do coming to look thru posts is get as much knowlege as possible and I was 14 when this baby rolled off the assembly line and have owned a ex drag car e-body challenger.I hope you don`t sell it to the highest bidder and use it for example for restorer`s in generations to come.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: 70RT Charger] #76871
06/23/08 09:01 AM
06/23/08 09:01 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
“I have been involved in Chrysler Restoration Business for over 20 years.... I personally took delivery of a brand new 1970 440 SixPack Challenger.... The day I got the car I crawled all over it going top to bottom.... Hate to tell you pal, but it is a time machine.... The pictures do not do the car justice. It looks like someone just built a 1970 R/T Challenger and delivered it to Hilsboro Mo.... The years of reference study, the countless survior cars documented is apparent... The attention to detail is astounding.“

Hmmm….another misguided individual huh?

Or........would you like some barbeque sauce with your Crow? You may just want to “TRY” it.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: 6packattk] #76872
06/23/08 09:27 AM
06/23/08 09:27 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

I hope you don`t sell it to the highest bidder and use it for example for restorer`s in generations to come.

Thank you for the kind expressions. It is a keeper!!! This is the one I have wanted since seeing Vanishing Point at the drive in with my older Brother many years ago.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #76873
06/23/08 09:58 AM
06/23/08 09:58 AM
Farmington, CT
KISSAlien Offline
I Live Here
KISSAlien  Offline
I Live Here

Farmington, CT
Does your car have a 203 SPD?

If so, it is already in my database. If not then it would be the third EW1/V6B/H5B5 car I know about. The V-code car has a white vinyl top though.

4506196-bluestripe.jpg (358 downloads)
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #76874
06/23/08 10:06 AM
06/23/08 10:06 AM
70RT Offline
mopar
70RT  Offline
mopar

First and foremost - Wow, just wow! You and Steve Been are a true asset to the Mopar Restoration World and MOST of us are damned glad for it. I met Dave @ Carlisle last year when he and Steve were kind enough to stop by and comment on the level of detailing on my car. In all of the conversation that followed, none of it was critical, arrogant, or condescending. To the contrary, it was an enjoyable beneficial exchange, which helped me later correct some things I had questions about. I looked forward to seeing them both @ this year's Carlisle but I understand the Challenger won't be there Say it ain't so Dave!

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: KISSAlien] #76875
06/23/08 10:15 AM
06/23/08 10:15 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Does your car have a 203 SPD?

If so, it is already in my database. If not then it would be the third EW1/V6B/H5B5 car I know about. The V-code car has a white vinyl top though.

The pictured car is the Feb. 3rd vehicle which would leave the count at two! Thanks.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: 70RT] #76876
06/23/08 10:41 AM
06/23/08 10:41 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

I looked forward to seeing them both @ this year's Carlisle but I understand the Challenger won't be there Say it ain't so Dave!

I would love for you to see the car but it will never be at Carlisle. I have learned that taking a vehicle to a show where "professional restoration" people do the judging, is a conflict of interest. When you put a car in their hands and they feel trumped by your work, they politicize and diminish what you have accomplished. (And we thought that politics was something only found in Washington, DC.) The only judging venue I am aware of that does not exhibit this type of "judging" is Keith Rohm's program at the Columbus Mopar Nationals.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #76877
06/23/08 10:50 AM
06/23/08 10:50 AM
White Plains, NY
VCODE Offline
top fuel
VCODE  Offline
top fuel

White Plains, NY
Quote:

Quote:

I looked forward to seeing them both @ this year's Carlisle but I understand the Challenger won't be there Say it ain't so Dave!

I would love for you to see the car but it will never be at Carlisle.

Dave,
All I can say is WOW!
You will be missed at Carlisle,would you bring it for all to see and not have it judged.
Bob

Mom & Dad let me buy a brand new 70 Challenger R/T 440 Six-Pack Super Trac Pack when I was 17

(Robert what is a 440 Six-Pack)
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #76878
06/23/08 11:17 AM
06/23/08 11:17 AM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I would love for you to see the car but it will never be at Carlisle. I have learned that taking a vehicle to a show where "professional restoration" people do the judging, is a conflict of interest. When you put a car in their hands and they feel trumped by your work, they politicize and diminish what you have accomplished. (And we thought that politics was something only found in Washington, DC.) The only judging venue I an aware of that does not exhibit this type of "judging" is Keith Rohm's program at the Columbus Mopar Nationals.

You could always bring it to Carlisle but not have it judged. Sometimes that could make a bigger statement than words.......

Last edited by Troy; 06/23/08 11:17 AM.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #76879
06/23/08 11:19 AM
06/23/08 11:19 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
I think it would be neat in Building "T" on the hoist like the Hemicuda...forget about the judging unless the $5 trophie is what you're after...

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Troy] #76880
06/23/08 11:37 AM
06/23/08 11:37 AM
East Coast, NJ
F
fig426 Offline
top fuel
fig426  Offline
top fuel
F

East Coast, NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would love for you to see the car but it will never be at Carlisle. I have learned that taking a vehicle to a show where "professional restoration" people do the judging, is a conflict of interest. When you put a car in their hands and they feel trumped by your work, they politicize and diminish what you have accomplished. (And we thought that politics was something only found in Washington, DC.) The only judging venue I an aware of that does not exhibit this type of "judging" is Keith Rohm's program at the Columbus Mopar Nationals.

You could always bring it to Carlisle but not have it judged. Sometimes that could make a bigger statement than words.......

Dave, Not that it means squat, but I'm with Troy on this.... and no, not because I have the same car as him,,, but because it would be an EXTREMELY bold statement on your part and apparently you have some backing on this one!!! And,,,,,,, since i always have to add some kind of sarcasm to everything,,,, I'm not sure if you know this, but, there isn't such a thing as teleporting back in time quite yet.

Chris from New Jersey
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: anlauto] #76881
06/23/08 11:50 AM
06/23/08 11:50 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

I think it would be neat in Building "T" on the hoist like the Hemicuda...forget about the judging unless the $5 trophie is what you're after...

$5 is all? And to think that all this time I thought they were solid gold. There goes the motivation for this project. All kidding aside, I have been to both shows and the people are really what makes the events worth while. I personally prefer the Nationals. I think Jim Belinda and his staff do a great job of coordinating the events and I like the vendor displays being on hard level ground. The drag racing also offers a nice “back in time” nostalgic feeling in the scheme of things. Some of the other amenities that draw people to Carlisle do not have the same allure for me. Both venues are a true blessing for the Mopar hobby as a whole. Most vehicle specific manufacturers are lucky if they just have one major event that is of the caliber of either Mopar shows.

PS) Okay Mr. Chris B......just for your benefit I will have you know that I watched "Star Trek" when I was a kid in the 70's and Mr. Spock got beamed around the planets at least 130 times.....one time he want back to the 1920's with Bones and Captain Kirk. So there, it did happen!!
(You are killin me! Be safe out there my friend, talk to you soon.)

Page 6 of 46 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 45 46