Wisconsin
G
Garceau Offline OP
pro stock
Garceau  Offline OP
pro stock
G

Wisconsin
So a fella is interested in my Harley and wants to swap a 47 Dodge Business coupe.

It has 68 Camaro Front stub
10 bolt rear from a nova

Car looks pretty clean, in primer, needs to be finished.

Of course has small block chevy in it and th350 trans. - not too keen on this, but thats easy to swap. New wheels and rubber. I like the stance of the car

Anyone have any info or thoughts on this type of car. I do like its stance. Not sure what I would do with it, if I got it. Whether to pro street it, keep it simple. But would like an Overdrive trans in it just for cruising fact. As well as some discs at least up front.

Any idea what this is worth as it sits? I know thats a very tough thing.

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: Garceau] #767701
08/07/10 11:46 PM
08/07/10 11:46 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I have seen some frame clip jobs that are flat out dangerous. I'd have to put it on a hoist and look it over real good. After passing that process, I'd have to drive it a bit to be sure nothing rubs, and it doesn't feel funky going over bumps, dips in the road and other highway obstructions. Nothing worse then a poor driving clipped car, there are so many things that can be messed up easily that are a major undertaking to fix.

Past that, do you like the car? If it doesn't trip your trigger, walk away. Your already considering an engine and trans swap which will involve some wiring changes, possible steering chalenges, exhaust issues, drive shaft issues, and creating engine and trans mounts onto the GM clip.

With a drive train swap, your almost 1/2 way from building one from scratch, so the frame work better be right on, the body better be real solid, and it better have a nice interior that you like. The Dodge business couple is not real plentiful, but there are still good project cars out there, if that body does it for you. Personally, I'd rather have a Plymouth Business coupe, the Dodge (and Chrysler) trunks are too long for my taste.

On the other hand, if you always wanted on of these, your out of pocket expense is pretty good, not considering the cost of the swap ride. Gene

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: poorboy] #767702
08/08/10 12:05 AM
08/08/10 12:05 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
The following is my opinion, and it's harsh.

I would not trade anything worth more than the basic body...
I'm a mopar-centric guy and I really dislike chevy swaps. The guys that do them offer 3 'reasons'
1. Chevys are cheap
2. It's what I know
3. It will sell easier with a SBC in it

Point one means I won't pay more than a hundred bucks for your cheap engine and trans. The clip is a negative for me, since it doesn't even have discs!!!!

Point 2 means you have limited knowledge, so the work is suspect.

Point 3 does not apply here! If someone is building the car for himself, I keep my mouth shut and hope the guy is happy. If they are building cars to sell or trade, I want to vote with my money and disprove this theory they have. Most Mopar guys want a mopar drivetrain, not some belly button motor.

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: RodStRace] #767703
08/08/10 10:12 AM
08/08/10 10:12 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
If it was a stock 47 we'd be able to give you a better opinion of what it's worth and what you could do with it.

Being it's already modded, and not 100% how you'd want it, then all bets are off.

The one part that really concerns me, as mentioned already, is the frame clip job. Who knows how well it was done? Inspect it closely and if you have a buddy that has done this kind of stuff (who knows what he's doing) have him help. More eyes see more things.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: Supercuda] #767704
08/08/10 11:19 PM
08/08/10 11:19 PM
Wisconsin
G
Garceau Offline OP
pro stock
Garceau  Offline OP
pro stock
G

Wisconsin
Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments.

After a few days of thought I am beginning to back away from this deal.

He wants to trade my Harley for it, which I have listed at 8k. I just dont see that kind of money into this car.

With the 10 bolt set up, and the front camaro stub I put that about 1500 max. SBC and th350 again simple cheap combo at about 1000. Wheels and tires about 1k.

That puts it at 3500 and I dont think the car is worth the rest.

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: Garceau] #767705
08/09/10 12:53 AM
08/09/10 12:53 AM
OHIO
T
THE GLASS MAN Offline
super stock
THE GLASS MAN  Offline
super stock
T

OHIO
Quote:

Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments.

After a few days of thought I am beginning to back away from this deal.

He wants to trade my Harley for it, which I have listed at 8k. I just dont see that kind of money into this car.

With the 10 bolt set up, and the front camaro stub I put that about 1500 max. SBC and th350 again simple cheap combo at about 1000. Wheels and tires about 1k.

That puts it at 3500 and I dont think the car is worth the rest.

Mopar bodies need to be Mopar powered if you want a good resale value. I am in the firm belief of buying something that alot of people want, so I can sell it easier when the time comes.

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: THE GLASS MAN] #767706
08/09/10 09:39 PM
08/09/10 09:39 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA

Mopar bodies need to be Mopar powered if you want a good resale value. I am in the firm belief of buying something that alot of people want, so I can sell it easier when the time comes.

I build my Mopars with Mopar drive train because that is the way I want them. I build them for me and really don't care about resale because once I'm tired of it, and begin a new project, I figure I've already gotten my money's worth and anything I get past that is extra.

To the original poster, if you would have given a $$$ value of your trade, we would have all felt a lot better telling you "NO WAY!" $8,000 would get you off to a great start on building one the way you want it built, not redoing someone else's messed up project. Gene

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: Garceau] #767707
08/10/10 10:20 PM
08/10/10 10:20 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
That's a good looking ride IMO. Also IMO, the SBC would look great sitting in a junk yard somewhere

We started to buy a '41 Plymouth coupe on a deal, but it would have costed more than we wanted to be into it for by the time we switched the drive train out of it.

The Dodge business coupes are not common though.

Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: DusterKrazy] #767708
08/24/10 01:52 AM
08/24/10 01:52 AM
levittown pa
fstfish66 Offline
top fuel
fstfish66  Offline
top fuel

levittown pa
that body is rare and kool IMO a good deal would be the car and some cash for the harley,,some how ide get the car if you wanted some thing different,,wont be many of those at your local cruise nite or even a street rod event,,and differnt is kool

1966 barracuda prostreeter super charged 340(SOLD)
1940 dodge coupe 241 hemi street rod
2014 ram express hemi 4x4 dailey driver
2015 cherokee
2013 R/T classic
Re: Help with a few questions - 47 Dodge Business Coupe [Re: RodStRace] #767709
08/25/10 01:20 AM
08/25/10 01:20 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
RTSrunner Offline
top fuel
RTSrunner  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh,PA
Quote:

The following is my opinion, and it's harsh.

I would not trade anything worth more than the basic body...
I'm a mopar-centric guy and I really dislike chevy swaps. The guys that do them offer 3 'reasons'
1. Chevys are cheap
2. It's what I know
3. It will sell easier with a SBC in it

Point one means I won't pay more than a hundred bucks for your cheap engine and trans. The clip is a negative for me, since it doesn't even have discs!!!!

Point 2 means you have limited knowledge, so the work is suspect.

Point 3 does not apply here! If someone is building the car for himself, I keep my mouth shut and hope the guy is happy. If they are building cars to sell or trade, I want to vote with my money and disprove this theory they have. Most Mopar guys want a mopar drivetrain, not some belly button motor.

I agree with all of this,if there is anything that devalues a car to me it is the statement 350/350.Sooo generic and lacking taste and imagination.What is easier about it?Valve adjustments on a stocker,pulling the dist to remove the intake,parts?Parts may be cheap,but they're cheap parts,good parts cost the same for either.I guess some people find it easier to work on a chevy due to experience,or necessity.Should you choose to work on the Mopar small block,it is not any harder to do,maybe easier.I'd say car plus cash for the bike(what year/model HD is it?),save the Dodge!
RT