07/23/10 08:33 PM
07/23/10 08:33 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
I really thought I would have headlights tonight. The connector on the bright/dim switch was a little melted so I bought a new switch and made a new connector. Bright lights don't work. (Even though they have kinda off and on (no pun intended) over the last week or so).

Using an Ohm meter I'm showing that the red wire off the dimmer switch (which is power to the brights) has a short to ground. From the engine compartment I worked my way back to the bulkhead. That's OK.

So I have a short to ground somewhere between where the wire comes out of the pedal switch, and the inside bulkhead connector. Where the heck do I go from here? The wires are all wrapped all the way up there, there's no other connectors in between. I really don't want to randomly unwrap things half-way up there and test it. How could this one wire in the bundle be shorted but not anything else?

Should I just cheat and run a new wire from the pedal switch up through the bulkhead connector? That seems the easy way out, but also seems pretty cheesy. Is there some common area where this wire (or other wires going into the inside firewall bulkhead connector) would tend to short so I can look there first?

It's a 68 Charger, BTW.

Thanks in advance as always for any help you guys can provide. How did people restore old cars before the internet?

Re: Tracing short: between dim pedal and brights, help? [Re: Gusteve] #756126
07/23/10 09:50 PM
07/23/10 09:50 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

So I have a short to ground somewhere between where the wire comes out of the pedal switch, and the inside bulkhead connector. Where the heck do I go from here?

Was it all good at one point in time then the short developed? Start at the bulkhead connector (half) under the dash checking the brass terminal for the brights for where the dead short is. Other than insulation fraying (rare) and damage from too much amperage, wiring goes bad at the connectors on the wire ends so I'd say you're (most likely) good inside the harness. Check the ends. If your OK w altering it you could cut the bright beam wire at the dimmer end and at the bulkhead end & run a seperate wire that you mentioned & leave this dead length of wire in the harness and if no other circuits are acting up from the dead short you're good.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Tracing short: between dim pedal and brights, help? [Re: RapidRobert] #756127
07/23/10 11:47 PM
07/23/10 11:47 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline OP
Gusteve  Offline OP

Flint, MI
Looks like I was a moron. After rechecking the wiring diagram, I was getting the ground from the Bright indicator in the dash. After mucking around I got the headlights to work, it seems that maybe my + connection to the dimmer switch was weak and couldn't drive the brights.

I'm embarassed to admit that, but I thought I'd throw it out here since it drives me crazy when I'm searching moparts and find a similar problem, but the solution wasn't posted.

Thanks Robert - your help is always appreciated.