07/02/10 09:49 AM
07/02/10 09:49 AM
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
bigsbigelow Offline OP
pro stock
bigsbigelow  Offline OP
pro stock

Could I get a 10.5:1 340 with iron heads and a big N/A race came to run reliably with a turbo set at 3-4 lbs (or what ever would be safe) of boost and use E85 for fuel? If so, what would be the right turbo? Would I need an after-cooler or inner-cooler? I don't personally know any one to ask. No one I know runs forced induction. Thanks

P.S. Here is a link to the cam specs

Last edited by bigsbigelow; 07/02/10 09:50 AM.

Ryan "Bigs" '73 Duster (BLKDUST) - Black, 100% factory sheet metal, flat hood, 346 cid, J Heads, and a bench seat. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/bigsbigelow/ Best to date: 12.40 @ 109 mph
Re: Could it work? [Re: bigsbigelow] #738535
07/02/10 09:52 AM
07/02/10 09:52 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
I think the compression is a tad high. If you went with a set of composite .060 head gaskets you could. Also you could probably get away w/ 6 psi of boost and why people runner inner-coolers anymore to me is crazy. Meth injection is the way to go. Much cheaper and easier to set-up. Not sure what turbo you'd need. I'm sure there's a math formula to figure that out.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Could it work? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #738536
07/02/10 10:00 AM
07/02/10 10:00 AM
bigsbigelow Offline OP
pro stock
bigsbigelow  Offline OP
pro stock

You think it would be too high for E85 even? RB Racing's boost compression calculator tells me with 4 psi I would end up with 13.25:1 at Detroit's altitude. I know nothing about forced induction so bear with me. I was intending to run nitrous on the motor but am now thinking other wise.

Last edited by bigsbigelow; 07/02/10 10:08 AM.

Ryan "Bigs" '73 Duster (BLKDUST) - Black, 100% factory sheet metal, flat hood, 346 cid, J Heads, and a bench seat. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/bigsbigelow/ Best to date: 12.40 @ 109 mph
Re: Could it work? [Re: bigsbigelow] #738537
07/02/10 10:07 AM
07/02/10 10:07 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

You think it would be too high for E85 even? RB Racing's boost compression calculator tells me with 4 psi I would end up with 13.25:1 at Detroit's altitude.

I dunno, I was speaking it'd probably be more streetable w/ the fatter head gasket. With Meth injection he should be able to run more boost on pump gas even.

Re: Could it work? [Re: bigsbigelow] #738538
07/02/10 10:38 AM
07/02/10 10:38 AM
bigsbigelow Offline OP
pro stock
bigsbigelow  Offline OP
pro stock

So I was poking around Garrett's website and a GT4088 would suite my engine size and H.P. goals. Now I just need some help figuring out what would need adjusted to make the engine live. I would for sure switch to head studs but would some thicker head gaskets be necessary? My pistons have been bead blasted and the sharp edges of the combustion chambers have been smoothed, just so you know. I know the carb would need reworked for blow-through.

Re: Could it work? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #738539
07/02/10 07:23 PM
07/02/10 07:23 PM
SRQ, FL
8valves Offline
8valves  Offline

SRQ, FL
Quote:

I think the compression is a tad high. If you went with a set of composite .060 head gaskets you could. Also you could probably get away w/ 6 psi of boost and why people runner inner-coolers anymore to me is crazy. Meth injection is the way to go. Much cheaper and easier to set-up. Not sure what turbo you'd need. I'm sure there's a math formula to figure that out.

To me, smart people run intercoolers instead of meth/water/whatever mixture you want because they don't want to rely on a generally cheap system to be the only reason their engine survives.

Obviously with the carb guys they get some nice cooling through the introduction of the fuel earlier in the airstream than on the EFI setups. But regardless, if the engine relies on not detonating solely because of the supplemental injection system, that's asking for disaster.

Sure, there are lots of other systems that you also rely on for the engine to run, like a fuel pump, but that's kind of unavoidable. Not to mention if your fuel pump dies in a bad way the car should go so lean so quick that it likely won't even combust anymore. Not like when a meth pump locks or corrodes or leaks, and the car runs at a 13.5:1 AFR instead of the 11.0:1 it used to with full supply of meth.

It's an opinion deal, no doubt. I just thought I'd share some thoughts.

I would personally think that if the timing were kept in check, that E85 should allow you to run boost without an intercooler. It would be for sure good if you had an nice intercooler setup. Just don't expect to run X PSI at 30* timing. Back the timing off to 20* and move up from there if it takes it. Or leave it alone and up the boost, it'll make more power than the timing will.

Your cam profile should make it harder to detonate with a turbo combination as well. But that depends highly on the hot side components of your turbo system.

Also, I wouldn't stray any smaller than a GT4202.

Aaron M
Re: Could it work? [Re: 8valves] #738540
07/03/10 12:29 AM
07/03/10 12:29 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
If you cut fuel supply, you can detonate real hard, real quick. I don't really see the meth injection being any more dangerous than anything else, so long as you keep the meth tank full and you hook up a switch to manually test the meth pump before you use it. One other thing to keep in mind is meth cools better than an intercooler and you don't get that pressure drop you do. Also it's a lot less work to plumb in a meth injection system.

E85 + 10.5CR + boost should be very do able. The guys working on the newer stuff have CR that high from the factory and some of them are running aftermarket combos with a LOT of boost. You will have to pay careful attention to timing and a/f ratios. Also your "big n/a cam" will likely be detrimental to building boost. If you've got a lot of overlap or a narrow LSA, you may want to change to a more boost friendly cam instead of blowing your boost right out the exhaust.

Re: Could it work? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #738541
07/03/10 12:41 AM
07/03/10 12:41 AM
SRQ, FL
8valves Offline
8valves  Offline

SRQ, FL
Quote:

If you cut fuel supply, you can detonate real hard, real quick. I don't really see the meth injection being any more dangerous than anything else, so long as you keep the meth tank full and you hook up a switch to manually test the meth pump before you use it. One other thing to keep in mind is meth cools better than an intercooler and you don't get that pressure drop you do. Also it's a lot less work to plumb in a meth injection system.

E85 + 10.5CR + boost should be very do able. The guys working on the newer stuff have CR that high from the factory and some of them are running aftermarket combos with a LOT of boost. You will have to pay careful attention to timing and a/f ratios. Also your "big n/a cam" will likely be detrimental to building boost. If you've got a lot of overlap or a narrow LSA, you may want to change to a more boost friendly cam instead of blowing your boost right out the exhaust.

Judging by your board name I would assume you've experienced "boost cut" on a Turbo Mopar when you surpass the MAP. It doesn't cut ignition when it does that, it cuts fuel, completely. If there is no fuel present, there will be no combustion period.

Now, if a pump starts to taper off in supply ability, or you have a voltage drop issue, surely you will run into a problem. But you can't avoid that until you go race an electric car

You CAN avoid having a $50 pump die out in the middle of a run and not catching it in time. Ask James Reeves what happened when he got to a point that his motor consumed about as much alky as it was fuel.

And in regards to the pressure drop issue, if you're concerned with that then you have too small of a turbo on your car. Unless you're on the verge of maxxing your compressor way beyond it's map, it's not going to care pushing enough CFM (oh boy, not that acronym again!) for another 1-2 PSI.

And while certainly not an apples comparison as far as price range, a well done A/W system will keep intake temps sub 80* in 95* ambient at 25 psi on a 510 CID motor throug the traps at 199.

Now, if you just run the car on E85 anyways then now worries either way! And turn it up and enjoy the newfound power.

Aaron M
Re: Could it work? [Re: 8valves] #738542
07/03/10 01:47 AM
07/03/10 01:47 AM
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Can.
CW25 Offline
enthusiast
CW25  Offline
enthusiast

Grande Prairie, Alberta, Can.
E85 and 10.5:1 compression should be easy to do. I would not be afraid to run 10 lbs of boost. Skip the GT40 and go to a less expensive and just as reliable T70 from master power. You may not even need to intercooler as the #85 is real cold stuff and pretty big octane. I run 8 psi boost on 94 octane with 9.1:1 but aluminum heads.

Last edited by CW25; 07/03/10 01:49 AM.
Re: Could it work? [Re: bigsbigelow] #738543
07/03/10 01:42 PM
07/03/10 01:42 PM
St.Clair Shores MI.
tilt Offline
top fuel
tilt  Offline
top fuel

St.Clair Shores MI.
Quote:

Could I get a 10.5:1 340 with iron heads and a big N/A race came to run reliably with a turbo set at 3-4 lbs (or what ever would be safe) of boost and use E85 for fuel? If so, what would be the right turbo? Would I need an after-cooler or inner-cooler? I don't personally know any one to ask. No one I know runs forced induction. Thanks

P.S. Here is a link to the [url=http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs

/CamDetails.aspx?csid=671&sb=2]cam specs[/url]

Ryan you know i've got the turbo car in the garage dont you.??

68 CORONET R/T BEST MACHINE BUILT EFI'd TWIN TURBO(UP and RUNNING !!) 03 Mach1
Re: Could it work? [Re: 8valves] #738544
07/03/10 06:04 PM
07/03/10 06:04 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

Judging by your board name I would assume you've experienced "boost cut" on a Turbo Mopar when you surpass the MAP. It doesn't cut ignition when it does that, it cuts fuel, completely. If there is no fuel present, there will be no combustion period.

Big difference between efi and carb fuel cut. With efi you can cut the fuel off instantly and completely. With a carb when a fuel pump dies, the float bowl for the secondaries may run out of fuel before the primaries. That could be bad news. When you start to boost there are any number of ways of doing damage, and that damage can happen in a second or two.

Quote:

And in regards to the pressure drop issue, if you're concerned with that then you have too small of a turbo on your car. Unless you're on the verge of maxxing your compressor way beyond it's map, it's not going to care pushing enough CFM (oh boy, not that acronym again!) for another 1-2 PSI.

Well sometimes you have to work with what you have. Especially if you have a supercharger and tweaking boost levels is not so easy.

Re: Could it work? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #738545
07/03/10 08:06 PM
07/03/10 08:06 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Well sometimes you have to work with what you have. Especially if you have a supercharger and tweaking boost levels is not so easy.

That means you need to step up to turbos!

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Could it work? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #738546
07/04/10 11:23 AM
07/04/10 11:23 AM
SRQ, FL
8valves Offline
8valves  Offline

SRQ, FL
Quote:

Quote:

Big difference between efi and carb fuel cut. With efi you can cut the fuel off instantly and completely. With a carb when a fuel pump dies, the float bowl for the secondaries may run out of fuel before the primaries. That could be bad news. When you start to boost there are any number of ways of doing damage, and that damage can happen in a second or two.

Quote:

You're absolutely correct about the fuel issue carb vs EFI, that goes to show my ignorance to carb's. Good thing I've got a carb car to learn on now!

Aaron M
Re: Could it work? [Re: feets] #738547
07/04/10 10:08 PM
07/04/10 10:08 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

That means you need to step up to turbos!

some of us arne't good welders..

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Could it work? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #738548
07/04/10 11:42 PM
07/04/10 11:42 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Some of us learned by doing.

I just wish thise level of assistance was readily available 10 years ago when I first built my car.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon