11/24/03 09:18 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Quote:

Not good PR Hughes, since I'm sure "amateurs" make up the majoriry of your customers.

EXCELLENT point!

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7198
11/24/03 09:29 PM
11/24/03 09:29 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Quote:

Quote:

...you made the decision to buy from them, so you must live with the problems.

This is the only information I would ever need to know in making a decision on using Hughes cams.....thanks for helping me making an easy decision on not buying any products due to your honest and open public speaking.

No kidding! Good research.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: 71TA] #7199
11/24/03 09:34 PM
11/24/03 09:34 PM
Ozark Mo.
BADBEE Offline
master
BADBEE  Offline
master

Ozark Mo.
Wonder why he feels the need to use the term "students" so many times? Sounds to me like he has an ego problem.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7200
11/24/03 09:36 PM
11/24/03 09:36 PM
Fitchburg,Massachusetts
MPerry Offline
Mopahts memba'
MPerry  Offline
Mopahts memba'

Fitchburg,Massachusetts
Thats just down right funny! I didn't really keep tabs on the Engine Masters Challenge so I wasn't aware of who he was aiming at in that babbling. I never planned on buying one of his cams anyways so its a moot point for me to say I'm not buying one. I will however say that I sure hope he has a long list of professional buyers. Either that or a good plan on how to remove his foot from his mouth! (or was that his head from his A$$?) ~Mike~

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: BADBEE] #7201
11/24/03 09:37 PM
11/24/03 09:37 PM
Upstate NY
Reddart Offline
super gas
Reddart  Offline
super gas

Upstate NY
Quote:

Wonder why he feels the need to use the term "students" so many times? Sounds to me like he has an ego problem.

I guess he thinks he's the Master, and we will only be forever learning
I'd rather buy a camshaft made out of wax than one of his!

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: 67Mopar] #7202
11/24/03 09:57 PM
11/24/03 09:57 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

The guys worked very hard on this motor, he fails to mention that there are some very knowlagable people on this board, DRAM, Hakim, and yea some hobbyists,

No offense but what has Hakim ever shown that he knows? there is a huge list of people who do know a lot and he might be on that list but it would be down a ways,anyway,I didn't post to blast Hakim,really at first I thought his name was listed as part of the EM and I was already seeing red

Anyone that has been here a while should know how I feel about Dave,I called and talked to his boy Chris,had a list of parts I already said I would buy and then I spoke with Dave,he was a huge ass,so much so that I ended up calling Eric at Muscle Motors and ordered my parts.

I will say this,I really enjoyed this thread,I have been blasted many times over the years for blasting Dave,now it seems as if MANY of you have had a chance to see the REAL Dave Hughes and I LOVE it.

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Reddart] #7203
11/24/03 09:59 PM
11/24/03 09:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I talked to Dave a couple of years ago over the phone. He was a complete moron. He treated me like crap. All I was doing was asking him for his advice on wich one of his cams I should pick. He acted like he was a drunk step father or something. Thats cool he donated parts for the build but why donate them to amatures??? Dave needs to learn some people skills for sure. Thank god I havnt spent a dime with him. Those guys put out alot of effort to build that motor and to talk like that about them like that on his website is beyond stupid.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: calmopar] #7204
11/24/03 10:04 PM
11/24/03 10:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i would say the first thing he needs to do is go to school and learn how to write coherent sentences.
the second is to buy my book:
HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE!

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7205
11/24/03 10:05 PM
11/24/03 10:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a member of the EM group I saw every post on the subject. I never read a single one that blamed Hughes for anything that went wrong.

On top of that, every time Hughes gets discussed on this board there are people standing up and saying that they are happy with the service and products they received from Hughes. And this is the thanks we get? To be belittled?

I am happy with my Hughes cam, but it'll be the last one I ever buy.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7206
11/24/03 10:07 PM
11/24/03 10:07 PM
N.E. Ohio
6bblFLASH Offline
master
6bblFLASH  Offline
master

N.E. Ohio
He`s right and wrong. Yes he`s a professional,but thats not very effective P.R. to call your customers inept. However,he`s right if going fast was easy everbody would be!

70` Cuda`,440 6BBL Jerico,Dana 4.56 Still on 93 Pump Gas
9.87 @ 136/1.31-60ft.`09 Mopar Nationals PASSON PERFORMANCE "Stick-Shift" Champ!
2013 StickShift Challenge Winner@ Mopar Nationals!
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7207
11/24/03 10:08 PM
11/24/03 10:08 PM
middle Tennessee
mopower440 Offline
master
mopower440  Offline
master

middle Tennessee
I gotta say that probably 85% of the mopar world visits this website and has seen this thread, so i dont understand why he said what he said seeing that most of his customers just quit buying from him, must be crazy!

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: BradH] #7208
11/24/03 10:12 PM
Cornfield. IN
C
Clair Offline
Pot Stirrer #4
Clair  Offline
Pot Stirrer #4
C

Cornfield. IN
The Moparts team took full responsibility
They found there mistake and let everybody know about it so they would not repeat the same mistake
To me That’s professionalism at is finest

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: 6bblFLASH] #7209

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For everyone that wants to know, each cam (3) was PURCHASED for $91 each.. Nothing was "free"...

Last edited by Unlawfl; 11/24/03 10:25 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7210
11/24/03 10:20 PM
11/24/03 10:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you know what, i think i just figured it out. the reason he's so upset is because he missed the glory. we had a legitimate shot at going to the finals. it didn't work out that way, but very well might have. he missed the glory of seeing his name in print under "camshaft" in the buildup article. what a shame. so now it's easier to attack us to make himself look "better"? well, with almost 700 members reading this so far, in only a couple of hours he's lost a awful lot of business.

now, i wonder where jesse lackman is???

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7211
11/24/03 10:22 PM
11/24/03 10:22 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

you know what, i think i just figured it out. the reason he's so upset is because he missed the glory. we had a legitimate shot at going to the finals. it didn't work out that way, but very well might have. he missed the glory of seeing his name in print under "camshaft" in the buildup article. what a shame. so now it's easier to attack us to make himself look "better"? well, with almost 700 members reading this so far, in only a couple of hours he's lost a awful lot of business.

now, i wonder where jesse lackman is???

And Johnrr,in fact when I first started reading that BS I wondered to myself if John had pissed Dave off LOL

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: BradH] #7212
11/24/03 10:24 PM
11/24/03 10:24 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
well...this is so ridiculous it doesnt really dignify a response.....but i guess i can make a few comments since i was involved with the EM project.

the first thing that comes to my mind is that im never a fan when i hear someone sounding the trumpet so loudly about someone elses shortcomings.
rather than putting the focus on yourself, and your attributes, you try and shift the focus on someone elses faults.
this doesnt do much in my mind to gain the respect of whatever that side of the argument might be. whether its a political debate/campaign, or an advertising strategy, etc.
i want to hear what you have to offer...not everything thats wrong with all of your competitiors.

with the same amount of effort as it took to right that little commentary, he could have put the whole thing in a positive light. how even an "amature" group of individuals got together and fielded a competitive EM entry using one of his cams.
instead, he chose to take the low road.

lets make a few things clear....to the best of my knowledge Daves contribution to our effort was 4 cams at 1/2 price....about $95 each(instead of $179.00ea).
figure he buys them for around $90-100 a piece.....that means he donated about $40-50 worth of product, tops.
as had been pointed out, and could easily be checked by reading through the EM thread...in the end, his cams were cleared of being thought to be the root cause of the problems the motor was having with chopping cams on the dyno.

Quote:

Some of the unwarranted fallout from this deal is that cams that we have been successfully used by our customers for 10 over years got a bad rap thru no fault of their own.

from what i understand, the cams we used had the "new", "better" profiles than what he has been selling for the past 10 years. so either there isnt a 10 year history of success with these "new" cams, or they are in fact 10 year old designs.
they cant be both new and better, and 10 years old.

as far as being amatures....well....i can only speak for myself, but ive been making my living in this business since 1989, and i would be willing to bet the shop i work out of is equipped at least as well as his shop is.

and how many amatures can rough in their head porting on a CNC machine, and have the heads tested on no less than 4 different flow benches?
the pictures i saw from when Dan was working on the motor in his shop showed the equipment to be the same stuff you'd see in any quality engine shop. not too many amatures have a CK-10 and a line hone in their garage, or a crank grinder, crank balancer, resurfacing machine, etc.
or bother to rent shop space to house all that equipment to support their "hobby".

its unfortunate that the lifter bore problem was undetected until the motor had already eaten a cam, but even the best race engine shops in the world run into a time crunch at one point or another, and when that happens, sometimes the best decisions arent always made.

sh!t happens in the racing engine industry......thats just part of the business.
when you watch a Winston Cup race on TV, and a big name team loses an engine...its not because they werent "professionals", or that they dont know what they're doing, or that they didnt do everything they could to ensure those things dont happen.
nonetheless.....sometimes parts fail, sometimes potential problems slip through the cracks.

i dont know how much of an impact his commentary will have on his business in the long term. many people who werent directly involved wont be personally offended at what he's said, and people in general can sometimes have a pretty short memory.
however im sure there will be some lost revenue in the short term from what he's said...and plenty of ill will towards him on the part of the people who were involved with the EM project.
from where i sit, that just doesnt seem like a smart business move....unless perhaps you have more work than you can handle and are trying to alienate a few new potential customers.

for myself....ive never bought anything from Hughes Engines...so what he says really has no impact on me.
ive had the general feeling he was a jackass based on comments ive heard from many board members here....and this little editorial from him just confirms that in my mind.
ive never bought from he before...and certainly wont ever in the future.

one last thing i want to point out to everyone here.... those soon to be released Bulldog heads are also available from Scott Brown

so.....if that last comment causes Mr.Hughes to lose a couple of sales of those new heads....i'll feel this post was well worth the effort

BTW....i wonder how many more Hughes cams Jesse will be buying in the future?

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7213
11/24/03 10:25 PM
11/24/03 10:25 PM
Hudson Mass
67Mopar Offline
master
67Mopar  Offline
master

Hudson Mass
Quote:

Quote:

The guys worked very hard on this motor, he fails to mention that there are some very knowlagable people on this board, DRAM, Hakim, and yea some hobbyists,

Brian, hold up here, I know you were a big part of this, I just threw out some names off the top of my head real quick, I dont care if you drove the motor to the airport, or donated heads, or sent 5 bucks for paypal acct, my point is as a single unit we are not just a chat room, Im a NFL Patriots fan, and the kicker won the superbowl. My point is this was a combined effort of many minds, and backgrounds, not just a chat group, I did not intend to offend anyone. There is a HUGE list of help on this project, and I respect you all!!

there is a huge list of people who do know a lot and he might be on that list but it would be down a ways,anyway,I didn't post to blast Hakim,really at first I thought his name was listed as part of the EM and I was already seeing red

Anyone that has been here a while should know how I feel about Dave,I called and talked to his boy Chris,had a list of parts I already said I would buy and then I spoke with Dave,he was a huge ass,so much so that I ended up calling Eric at Muscle Motors and ordered my parts.

I will say this,I really enjoyed this thread,I have been blasted many times over the years for blasting Dave,now it seems as if MANY of you have had a chance to see the REAL Dave Hughes and I LOVE it.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7214
11/24/03 10:28 PM
11/24/03 10:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i guess we/he will always be left wondering how many cams he COULD/WOULD have sold if he took a different tact.

he could have said that moparts was the dark horse and if not for a little bad luck their 'HUGHES' cammed motor would have won the event! after all, if i remember right, the first pull was THE high pull.

forward is the word, always forward, never straight.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7215
11/24/03 10:31 PM
11/24/03 10:31 PM
Santa Rosa, NOR*CAL.
Just Cameron Offline
Too Many Posts
Just Cameron  Offline
Too Many Posts

Santa Rosa, NOR*CAL.
Quote:

For everyone that wants to know, each cam (3) were PURCHASED for $91 each..

I spent less than that for my non-mopar-lobe RV cam in my then-had-to-smog 318, 200,000 miles ago. I did spend a small fortune (for a college student) on machine work, though.

I'm going to spend the $$$ on my next SB motor for a real cam, once I decide if I'm going flat hyd. or hyd. roller. After seeing this I doubt it'll be a Hughes, but originally it likely would have been, since I'd heard so many people here say he was on of THE GUYS for Mopar cams.

Then again, I doubt he cares, since I, too, am an ametuer. Putting his masterpiece in spray-painted cars, I'd probably just end up making him look bad.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: 67Mopar] #7216
11/24/03 10:32 PM
11/24/03 10:32 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
67mopar,after rereading I knew where you were going with it and really I didn't have much to do with it,just put up some money to help it get going.

who is that guy?
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16