05/12/10 08:51 PM
05/12/10 08:51 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline OP
mopar
mopowered  Offline OP
mopar

Dirty South, MS
Was tidying up some wiring in the bracket car and found yet another splice that I didn't know existed PO

Got mad and started ripping out wiring and didn't stop until ALL OF IT was gone. Also took out the dash, glove box, fuse box (junk) and a few other things (kitchen sink). It should be a few pounds lighter.

Going to design the new wiring system from a blank sheet of paper. I don't want to use a fuse panel - this ain't no street car. I really like the switch panels and relay/fuse racks from ARC and I hear they come highly recommended.

I did a few google searches for "basic racecar wiring diagram" and such but found largely nothing usable re: lessons learned. Any recommendations would be helpful and I intend to share my design if it works out.

I'm thinking minimal, robust & possibly expandable.

Re: Racecar Wiring [Re: mopowered] #696533
05/12/10 09:52 PM
05/12/10 09:52 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
I use ARC a lot. IN fact 99% of the time. There are some complaints. One is on the Pro Stock w/ nitrous panel you are forced to purge with ignition and nitrous on. SO I cut circuits and wire my own. The cage mount panels will come open when the thumb screw works loose.

I have never been a fan of Painless as the fuses can fall out of the holders.

ARC is a solid choice for the money, but there are some better panels on the market. I stay clear of the ones that put all the relays together on the interior side of firewall. Sorry relays need to be as close to battery and the load they supply. Example fuel pump relay needs to be between battery and fuel pump, on rear tank cars that would be in the trunk.

I toyed with the idea on a new job of using a Moroso panel because of the resetable breakers. If time and money were not a restraint I would make my own. There have been a couple companies that had some really trick panels that went out of business as they were just to high end and people could not afford them.

Spagettie menders is probably some of the most trick stuff I have seen and has many features. But, the relay panel is centrally located. Back to the fuel pump. You can still run another relay so it is not the end of the world. But, this unit is not cheap in price either.

My customers are limited in funds so I have never gotten the chance to use one.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Racecar Wiring [Re: Leon441] #696534
05/12/10 10:23 PM
05/12/10 10:23 PM
Russiaville, IN
mopar376d Offline
enthusiast
mopar376d  Offline
enthusiast

Russiaville, IN
If you have excel, I can send you the one I made.

You can customize it to your needs. I ran evrything to terminal strip.

Why does divorce cost so much? Because it is worth it!!!!!
Post deleted by Defbob [Re: Leon441] #696535
05/12/10 10:35 PM
05/12/10 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Racecar Wiring #696536
05/13/10 01:39 AM
05/13/10 01:39 AM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Fred

Who is your source for switches and fuses??

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Racecar Wiring #696537
05/13/10 09:21 AM
05/13/10 09:21 AM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
Quote:

I just finished my Cuda. make sure all grounds somehow return directly to the battery. Avoid connecting them to screws and other places. run a ground cable from battery to the block. you can run to a stud on the rollbar acting as a junction block for other grounds. I do not use relays regardless of how many preach to me . I have wired cars for nearly 40 years and still see no benefit on a race car .that is unless you want to count how many more loose wires and connectors that can add too a failure.I use one gauge heavier wire than required. All my switches are rated at 50 amps and above some as much as 75 amps. Fuse everything and you are covered should a short develope.
My line lock is a pull on push off switch rated at 75 amps .. no telphone cord on steering wheel to fail . Those cost 30.00 to replace .My switch cost 6.00 and is mounted near the shifter. As for my fuel pump it is insulated so it needs a diect line to the battery with a 25 amp fuse.I turn the pump on simply by using a switched gound wire.Race cars don't have that many circuts. All my items are simple and safe.
To all the disbelievers in doing it this way I ask how many relays do you see in stock Mopar or even GM and Fords system NONE

well new cars have a bunch of relays in fact my 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel has at least 6-8 relays in the power distribution center so does my wifes 2010 Charger and just about every other car that comes in my shop that is newer than 15 years old.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Post deleted by Defbob [Re: dusturbd340W5] #696538
05/13/10 10:11 AM
05/13/10 10:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Racecar Wiring #696539
05/13/10 01:01 PM
05/13/10 01:01 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
I am installing the ARC flatpanel kit with 12 programmable switches and circuit board. It is very nice. I used 2 K&R switch panel circuit board kits and they are very nice as well but limited to 6 switches. The ARC will do everything you need and then some and is very reasonably priced.

Re: Racecar Wiring #696540
05/13/10 01:23 PM
05/13/10 01:23 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

To all the disbelievers in doing it this way I ask how many relays do you see in stock Mopar or even GM and Fords system NONE

Fred... starters have used relays since the 30's... you dont have battery cable going into your ignition switch on a vintage mopar do ya?

so there is at least one... stock mopars also have them on the horn, as you dont have a large gauge wire in the steering column - Fords were the only ones I know of that had no relay for the horns...

Re: Racecar Wiring [Re: mopowered] #696541
05/13/10 01:30 PM
05/13/10 01:30 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

all you need an ARC 6 switch setup. you can get the standard one in dash or roll bar mount, or get the powerstrip which comes with the wiring. i've wired from scratch, used ARC and painless. imho the painless stuff is overpriced for what it is.

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: DJVCuda] #696542
05/13/10 03:33 PM
05/13/10 03:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Racecar Wiring #696543
05/13/10 03:43 PM
05/13/10 03:43 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

well new cars have a bunch of relays in fact my 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel has at least 6-8 relays in the power distribution center so does my wifes 2010 Charger and just about every other car that comes in my shop that is newer than 15 years

And for the 80 years before then none were used and the need to have them never surfaced. Computer controlled cars may have a logical reason with all the crap on them but on my race car no

Fred that was back in the horse and buggy days we have better technology now

Re: Racecar Wiring #696544
05/13/10 04:15 PM
05/13/10 04:15 PM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
Sry - I'm going to have to vote with the relays on this one.

Yes the old Mopars all had horn relays and starter relays. So basically relays for the heavy current draw items.

Old cars didn't come from the factory with electric fans, electric water pumps, or electric fuel pumps. The cars that do come with those item use relays. And you know my 70 GTX with power windows has a relay from Ma Mopar, as did the electric head light doors for my 71 Charger.

Add a line loc and trans-brake to the race car wiring, and you should have two more relays.

Back to the post -
The ARC, K & R, and Spaghetti Menders systems all use circuit board mounted breakers and fuses to reduce the number of wire connectors.

Painless uses a more conventional fuse and breaker panel similar to what is used in factory wire harnesses.

For wiring RACE cars, I like the K & R and the ARC units - fewer wires to the switch panel - easier to hide and keep things neat. Haven't used Spaghetti Menders (yet) so I can't comment on theirs, but they look nice also.

For "ProStreet" cars, I like painless wire kits as there are usually several additional wiring connections which the 12-circuit or 18-circuit systems can help to keep the wiring looking less cluttered. They also have a standard connector for the GM style steering column (which was used by Mopar on all tilt steering columns in 70-74).

For the budget minded, the entire wire harness can be made up with switches and relays from the auto store. It just takes a little more patience and finesse to keep it looking neat and keeping the number of connectors to a minimum.

Re: Racecar Wiring [Re: ProStDodge] #696545
05/13/10 04:35 PM
05/13/10 04:35 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
Relays are a low voltage high current electricians best freind. 16Volts and 30 amps would justify this.

Now to step on some toes. The relays most people use are the Bosch style 30Amp relays. I have even ordered the 40 amp relays of this style. I'm sorry they are junk when you simply slide connecters on the terminals. ARC has relay pods that you plug these relays into. They help absorb heat from the relay. These relays are used on OEM automobiles. How many times have you had to repair one the fuse panel. These relays are not that good when you really put a lot of current across them. I wouldn't use them for anything over 20 amps.

I have found a relay that kicks tail, but it is much heavier. It is a constant duty solenoid. Truckers use them to power all those lights on their trucks. Great for bottle heaters and multiple electric fans. It looks like a Ford starter solenoid.

There is only one place I will pick on you for not running a relay and that is a rear mounted fuel pump with the battery in the trunk. There is no sense in running 15 amps from your battery to the switch panel, over 20 feet in most cases, and back to the pump that was only 3 feet away to start with. Check it under load the batter is at 13.5 volts and at the pump you are lucky to have 10 volts. Use a relay and you have 13.5 at the pump.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Racecar Wiring [Re: Leon441] #696546
05/13/10 04:56 PM
05/13/10 04:56 PM
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

obviously people are free to do as they wish when it comes to wiring. i've been doing automotive wiring all my life including having a small business doing automotive electronics. aside from the work i've done i've gotten to look at a LOT of others. i've said it a thousand times the number one problem is workmanship which imho includes the supplies one uses to do the job. there's absolutely no reason to use a relay on a lowish current draw circuit and it add complication and weight. new cars use a lot of relays because they're using solid state controls to operate these circuits. i've done current draw tests on a number of different components and most do not need a relay. there's nothing wrong with bosch relays if they're properly installed which includes proper components. (Leon this is not directed at anyone) for those that disagree that's fine but imho if you have even one vinyl crimp connector on your car then you haven't done enough wiring to know the difference. i use only nylon with the extra metal sleeves and the correct 3M crimpers which are over $100 just for the stupid pliers. i use weatherpak connectors on certain components that you might want to swap out easier than if they were crimped. i also prefer the silver tinned, teflon covered mil-spec wire but it's pretty darn pricy.

all opinions, everyone has them

here are some of the supplies needed to to a good job.

Re: Racecar Wiring [Re: Leon441] #696547
05/13/10 08:08 PM
05/13/10 08:08 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline OP
mopar
mopowered  Offline OP
mopar

Dirty South, MS
Thanks for the replies. I ordered one of ARC's flat-touch panels w/relay+fuse quad:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARC-4000R

This should work for

1 - Ignition
2 - Starter (programmed for momentary operation)
3 - Water Pump
4 - Cooling Fan

I it works like I hope - will plan to get another quad for the trunk:

1 - Fuel Pump
2 - Aux1
3 - Tail Lights
4 - Aux2

Those two quads w/a big starter relay should do the trick. Starter relay will terminate the batt cable from trunk and provide pwr to the front quad. Starter relay gnd connection going to neutral safety switch and activated by the front quad's momentary relay 2 output. All wires will be short minimizing loss and maximizing current available. Suppose I could optionally use a 100amp shunt inline w/the quad feeds to measure their current draw w/a gauge eventually if desired - they are cheap.

Am I missing something? This seems weird as there will be no pwr in the cabin other than the tiny flat ribbon cable carrying low voltage to the switch panels. That won't work - will need pwr there for tach, shift light, gauges, transbrake & line-lock. Will need to figure those out.