Page 1 of 2 1 2
Questions about relocating the battery. #696105
05/12/10 02:30 PM
05/12/10 02:30 PM
Escondido, CA
64physhy Offline OP
64physhy  Offline OP

Escondido, CA
I'm relocating my battery to the trunk ('74 Duster)and have a couple questions.
1. Where on the battery box should the vent tube go? High, low, or does it matter?
2. Ground; I know normally, you would ground to the frame, but since it's uni-body, couldn't I just ground it anywhere on the body? I was thinking of grounding it to the vertical support toward the rear where the jack stows.
3. Routing of Positive cable; I'm also going to be mounting a kill switch on the bumper. From there, should I route the cable under the car inside the frame rail, outside the frame rail, or should I route it inside the car and go through the firewall?

Thanks in advance for recommendations, and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 64physhy] #696106
05/12/10 03:06 PM
05/12/10 03:06 PM
Norwich CT USA
moparts Offline
I Live Here
moparts  Offline
I Live Here

Norwich CT USA
Batteries vent on top, so the gas must rise ?

Tom ,

2011 Ram 3500 C&C Diesel
2009 Challenger R/T
1971 Challenger Conv. 511/4 speed
1970 Challenger R/T 503/727

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 64physhy] #696107
05/12/10 06:16 PM
05/12/10 06:16 PM
Truckville, the capital of NY
85_Ram_4speed Offline
master
85_Ram_4speed  Offline
master

Truckville, the capital of NY
My battery was on a tray--no box. Venting i don't think is a big issue in the trunk. I also had a rear firewall between the seat and rear diagonal supports---i believe that is required for a rear mount battery--or maybe it was for a fuel cell---per NHRA. I don't remember which mod required that to go in but i feel its a good idea anyhow.

As far as running the cable, i ran it through the inside of the car and ran it under the drivers sill plate (be carefull putting the screws back in), but there was a "channel" that had all the wires for the taillights and what not running through it and thats what i ran it through. I feel the less stuff on the outside of the vehicle, the better---except for fuel lines of course. But electrical and brakelines, i put them all in the car.

Grounding, i welded a bolt to the trunk floor so it was like a stud sticking up. for me this worked the best, and you know for sure its always a good contact. I also used it to ground other relays i had in the trunk. But to answer your question, as it is a unibody car, any where on the car is fine. Just make sure the connections are clean of rust and paint.

Outcast Dodge guy.
Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 85_Ram_4speed] #696108
05/12/10 06:59 PM
05/12/10 06:59 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
On venting, I would think the top is best to let out any lighter hydrogen that forms.

For the ground, I like to catch something more substantial than the trunk floor alone. I bolted a 3/8 SS bolt/stud up through a reinforcing gusset under the trunk floor so I got the gusset and floor contacting the stud. I bolted it with plenty of antisieze lube after removing all paint with a small wire wheel.

I ran my wire (#1 from NAPA) outside tucked in next to the left sill... sort of like the fuel line runs on the oposite side. This probably added 3-4 feet to the length but kept it outside the passenger compartment. Just my preference.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: ahy] #696109
05/12/10 07:13 PM
05/12/10 07:13 PM
Ft.Myers,Florida
Hemiruss Offline
mopar
Hemiruss  Offline
mopar

Ft.Myers,Florida

But I'd put in a box and vent to fumes out of the car and it use to be you needed 2 3/8"fastners to hold the battery(Minunm).Also the vent will keep any fumes/acid from building up..and the placement makes a difference when your drag racing it or not...

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: Hemiruss] #696110
05/12/10 09:06 PM
05/12/10 09:06 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Another option to get around the venting issue is dry cell batteries. They can also be mounted in any postion except upside down.

If you just wire the positive cable through the kill switch. It will not actually kill the engine. The charging system will render it useless.

It's a bit more wiring but a safer and NHRA track legal set up is to run the alternator wire right back to the battery and run a charge wire from the rear switch to feed your fusebox.
I also like to use a Ford style solenoid at the rear. This set up leaves the big heavy starter wire dead until cranking.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 85_Ram_4speed] #696111
05/12/10 10:37 PM
05/12/10 10:37 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

Venting i don't think is a big issue in the trunk.

Actually it can be a big deal. As gases vented are explosive, and battery acid vapors can corrode things in the trunk.

In race applications there is not enough run time to charge a typical battery. Because of that, when it does charge it has to charge at a high rate, this can cause the battery to boil and release gases.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 64physhy] #696112
05/12/10 10:44 PM
05/12/10 10:44 PM
central illinois
65dodgebob Offline
65dodgebob  Offline

central illinois
when you trunk mount the battery, don't forget to run a good heavy ground wire from the engine to the chassis. this will keep the spark plugs happy.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: HealthServices] #696113
05/12/10 10:49 PM
05/12/10 10:49 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

a rear firewall between the seat and rear diagonal supports

If you have a battery box and nothing else, you do not need a firewall.

If you have a non-metallic gas tank or if it has a fill cap inside the trunk, you do need a fire wall.

If you have nitrous in the trunk, you need a firewall

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: Magnum] #696114
05/12/10 10:56 PM
05/12/10 10:56 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Quote:

If you just wire the positive cable through the kill switch. It will not actually kill the engine. The charging system will render it useless.

It's a bit more wiring but a safer and NHRA track legal set up is to run the alternator wire right back to the battery and run a charge wire from the rear switch to feed your fusebox.

Are you saying that just running the positive cable through the kill switch is not NHRA legal?

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: Ramrod39] #696115
05/12/10 11:31 PM
05/12/10 11:31 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Battery boxes in spare tire well on my Duster drag car, no vents, no problems in 20 years. I would vent a street car. Ground cable to trunk bracket, engine ground cable to front frame rail, Pos cable runs inside car under carpet & through grommet on firewall(same side as starter's on), kill switch needs to also kill alternator as previously posted or car will run off alternator even though battery is "off". I run most electrical so it works with ignition off, except fuel pump & vacuum pump.
I also have a marine rotary-style switch inside the car where I can reach it if I need to kill battery power from the seat.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: Magnum] #696116
05/13/10 10:27 AM
05/13/10 10:27 AM
Escondido, CA
64physhy Offline OP
64physhy  Offline OP

Escondido, CA
Quote:

Another option to get around the venting issue is dry cell batteries. They can also be mounted in any postion except upside down.

I also like to use a Ford style solenoid at the rear. This set up leaves the big heavy starter wire dead until cranking.

The instructions that came with the switch only show the positive lead hooking up to it. Makes sense though that it won't kill the car. So, let me get this straight; run the alternator wire directly to the battery, then from the battery, both the alternator wire and positive cable will go through the switch. Alternator wire goes to the fuse block, and positive cable to the starter. I'm kind of lost on the relay part. The smaller wire to the starter goes through something, not sure if it's a relay or what, but the big one doesn't go through anything. I had another car once that wasn't a Ford and someone put a Ford relay on it, and it never cranked or started right until I took that relay out.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 64physhy] #696117
05/13/10 06:49 PM
05/13/10 06:49 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada

The only thing I would add to this diagram is a saftey neutral switch wire.

With a Ford starter solenoid it will have 2 large and 2 small lugs. To energize the solenoid it needs pos and one lug which will be the small yellow wire from your Dodge starter relay which is hot during cranking. The other lug needs to be grounded. This will come from the transmission saftey neutral switch when in Park or Neutral.

Also for a 2 lugs on your Dodge starter will need to be permanently crossed together.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: Ramrod39] #696118
05/13/10 08:24 PM
05/13/10 08:24 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

Are you saying that just running the positive cable through the kill switch is not NHRA legal?

Kill switch must kill a running motor. They did a running test on my car 2 weeks ago when I was at the track. Most cars will continue to run if the pos battery cable is removed.

If you have a four prong switch and MSD, this is one way to kill the ignition when the switch is thrown. It is also a good way if you have a high amp alternator. Note the MSD only needs a power signal to turn on and off the ignition. Voltage lost is not an issue for the signal wire.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: HealthServices] #696119
05/14/10 11:26 AM
05/14/10 11:26 AM
Escondido, CA
64physhy Offline OP
64physhy  Offline OP

Escondido, CA
Thanks for the schematics. I just picked up the Ford Solenoid, now I'm going to go out and try to get this all wired up.

Wouldn't it be easier, and work just as well, to run the hot wire from the alternator back to the cut off switch, so that when the switch is turned off, it also cuts off alternator power to the rest of the system? So the wire would go from the alt to the switch, then from the switch to the starter relay. That would eliminate the need for the Ford Solenoid and all the other extra wiring, and kill the car when the switch is shut off, unless I'm missing something here

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 64physhy] #696120
05/14/10 11:58 AM
05/14/10 11:58 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
You mean like this? This is the way I currently have mined wired. I do not like it because of two things.

• 1. One constant switched large hot wire to the front at all times. If this shorts for any reason it can cause a lot of damage.

• 2. One smaller hot wire that is constantly hot even when the switch is off,

Do it once because if you are like me, you may never find the time to change it to the way you would like it later.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: HealthServices] #696121
05/14/10 12:07 PM
05/14/10 12:07 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
It would be a good idea to put a fusable link at the battery.

couple more versions here

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...page=0&vc=1

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: HealthServices] #696122
05/14/10 12:50 PM
05/14/10 12:50 PM
Escondido, CA
64physhy Offline OP
64physhy  Offline OP

Escondido, CA
Yes, that's the way I was thinking. I'll check out the link. Thanks again for all your help. I thought this would be a lot easier. I hate wiring.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: 64physhy] #696123
05/14/10 12:56 PM
05/14/10 12:56 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal

Re: Questions about relocating the battery. [Re: HealthServices] #696124
05/14/10 01:07 PM
05/14/10 01:07 PM
Escondido, CA
64physhy Offline OP
64physhy  Offline OP

Escondido, CA
I have an MSD E-curve. The red wire from it goes to the coil, and so does an orange one. The original positive wire also goes to the coil, so on the positive side of the coil, there's the positive and the red wire to the MSD (power). The only other wires to the MSD are a green one (tach) and a black one (ground). So wiring it in any of the ways that the alt power is cut off with the switch should cut off the ignition. Like I said, I really hate wiring.

I currently have the engine out to drop in my stroker after I get it all wired up, so it's important that its right so I'm not cranking forever or have something go wrong during break-in. Which just made me think of another question, I'm running an electric fuel pump, that's also not wired up yet. So one wire to the ignition, and the other to the Cut-off switch so power is cut on it with the switch off? Or would it somehow have to run through the Ford solenoid, too? I hate wiring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2