05/06/10 09:59 AM
05/06/10 09:59 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

I'm thinking my front seal is leaking on my RV2 compressor.

If it is I was thinking of swapping in a later model better design compressor. I am not going to get a retro kit from one of the AC companies. While they are good they are too much $$$$.

I was going to scavenge parts from late model vans with the Sanden??? compressor.

I was told that I would have to change intakes because of the water neck, True?

Any tips or advice? Suggestions on makes or models?

PS It's a 74 318 Satellite.

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: IMGTX] #690181
05/06/10 10:15 AM
05/06/10 10:15 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
replace the front seal on an RV2 is a piece of cake... BTDT

just care you need is get WET the carbon seal and DON'T TOUCH IT with fingers. Don't touch either the surface at front plate, just get it wet with oil.

get wet everything with the propper gas oil around, you can drive anything you want as far DON'T TOUCH the carbon seal on new replacement seal... I already damaged one simply TOUCHING it with one finger.

Sanden 508 compressor is a very generic use compressor and good one also lighter. Is the one used on retro fit AC systems. You will need to build just the custom bracket. Is a very common conversion down here. No need to replace anything on engine. You can get JUST SOME CLEARENCE problem with air cleaner, but depending on the rear fitting.

But if you think on replace the front seal on the RV2, you can do it, really.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: IMGTX] #690182
05/06/10 10:25 AM
05/06/10 10:25 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Gonna need the brackets and a new condessor, drier....hoses. I agree you could pull a newer compressor off alot of stuff and even the condessor too. But the brackets I'm not sure about. You can make a couple custom hoses easy also with the help of the local shop who makes hoses.

But a conversion kit would be easier and might not be that much more money by the time your done?

Once you get the mounting bracket, then you will know about the water neck.

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: Challenger 1] #690183
05/06/10 03:15 PM
05/06/10 03:15 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I'm agree on new hoses, thats logical, to fit on the new setup... about the rest can remain the same.

Theorically drier needs to be replaced anyway everytime sytem is opened.

I can't see anything logical on replace the condensor unless is rusted or damaged

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: IMGTX] #690184
05/06/10 03:23 PM
05/06/10 03:23 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Most models with the RV2 compressor depend on the EPR valve inside the compressor to control the system, there is no clutch cycling during normal operation. When replacing the RV2 with a Sanden, etc. you will need to add a clutch cycling device.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: John_Kunkel] #690185
05/06/10 03:28 PM
05/06/10 03:28 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España

attaching a thermostat switch on lines close to firewall. That's just to save from gas freezing on lines.

I haven't done, but I think won't need either. Tropical wheather doesn't get the chance to freeze the lines LOL

Last edited by NachoRT74; 05/06/10 03:30 PM.

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: John_Kunkel] #690186
05/06/10 05:55 PM
05/06/10 05:55 PM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Ahhhhhh Clutch cycling device...... I must research more on this subject. Thank you.

That may be my reason to keep it stock.

Besides I can tell everyone its a V-Twin under the hood.

Looking like I may take Nacho's advie and swap the seal.

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: IMGTX] #690187
05/06/10 06:19 PM
05/06/10 06:19 PM
New York City
G
groundpoint6 Offline
enthusiast
groundpoint6  Offline
enthusiast
G

New York City
I agree with Nacho, just replace the front shaft seal, the shaft seal kit is still available. He`s also right when saing do not touch the new seals with your hands, lubricate them with refrigerent oil before you touch them. I am sure the replacement procedure is available on line follow them closely. No special tools are required. With regards to the EPR valve located in the back of the compressor I don`t want to start a 70 page debate on line, but, you can take the EPR valve out and throw it away, doing so will convert your A/C system into a refig / freezer system. Back in the day I have done this hundredes of times. You won`t believe how cold your duct temperature will be.

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: IMGTX] #690188
05/06/10 06:36 PM
05/06/10 06:36 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Ahhhhhh Clutch cycling device...... I must research more on this subject. Thank you.

That may be my reason to keep it stock.

Besides I can tell everyone its a V-Twin under the hood.

Looking like I may take Nacho's advie and swap the seal.

apparently the thermostat switch is not a big deal... just a temperature sensor wrapped around the line ( close to the expansion valve ) will do the job. The same blue wire that feeds compressor clutch, must pass through this switch like the pressure switch on dryer.

thats is what has been told by the classic auto air crew on an email they sent me.

I would NOT touch the carbon seal section NOT EVEN OILED.

The front seal for the RV2 is also the same one than the york unit, just the rest of the kit is not ( o ring and plate )

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: NachoRT74] #690189
05/06/10 07:50 PM
05/06/10 07:50 PM
New York City
G
groundpoint6 Offline
enthusiast
groundpoint6  Offline
enthusiast
G

New York City
I haven`t changed one in many years, but back then I changed hundreds of them. The procedure I did was as follows, (keep in mind this was before we knew that freon was destroying our ozone layer ). First if their is freon in the system I would put the a/c on with the key on and engine off. This would energize the a/c clutch, then I would remove the 1/2" bolt from the center of the clutch. Once the bolt was removed, shut the key off and then remove the belts, after that smack the pulleys with a brass hammer to remove the clutch pulley from the tappered shaft. Once the pulleys are removed remove the 3 5/16 screws holding the field coil to the compressor and move it out of the way. Then take the woodruff key off the shaft. Now you have 5 7/16 bolts that hold the front shaft cover to the compressor. If you have pressure in the system slowly back these bolts out evenly using the existing freon pressure to push the cover out. If there is no pressure in the system you can use two screw drivers at 10 o`clock and 2 o`clock to pry the plate off, there are indents on the plate for this. Once the plate is removed you will see the front shaft seal on the front shaft of the compressor. A screwdriver will pry it off. Next take some emery cloth and sand down the front shaft to make a nice hone. Clean the shaft after that with some brake cleaner, and then coat the shaft with some refrig oil. Take the new seal coat it with refrig oil and install it on the shaft. Next inside the front plate is the other side of the seal that you can tap out easily with a small screwdriver and a hammer. After cleaning the plate and coating the plate seal with oil tap the new plate seal into place. Now replace the outer o ring on the plate with the new one provided in the kit. Oil everything real well and reinstall the plate using the 5 7/16 bolts as a puller. Reinstall the woodruff key, then the field coil and make sure that the woodruff key is aligned properly with the slot on the pulleys. Lastly install the 1/2 inch bolt, put the belts back on an then put a jumper wire from the batt to the coil to energize the field and lock the 1/2 " bolt. Disconnect the jumper wire and turn the front plate of the pulleys by hand to seat the new seal. Now you are ready to evacuate ,oil and recharge the system. Optinal if you want take the EPR valve out of the back of the compressor.

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: groundpoint6] #690190
05/06/10 09:23 PM
05/06/10 09:23 PM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Great info.

I can't seem to locate a seal online any suggestions?

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: IMGTX] #690191
05/06/10 10:39 PM
05/06/10 10:39 PM
New York City
G
groundpoint6 Offline
enthusiast
groundpoint6  Offline
enthusiast
G

New York City
www.familycar.com/classroom/ac1.htm

I found this place that has your compressor for $190.00 plus the core. I can`t find the seal kit but it must be out there some place

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: groundpoint6] #690192
05/07/10 10:37 AM
05/07/10 10:37 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

I haven`t changed one in many years, but back then I changed hundreds of them. The procedure I did was as follows, (keep in mind this was before we knew that freon was destroying our ozone layer ). First if their is freon in the system I would put the a/c on with the key on and engine off. This would energize the a/c clutch, then I would remove the 1/2" bolt from the center of the clutch. Once the bolt was removed, shut the key off and then remove the belts, after that smack the pulleys with a brass hammer to remove the clutch pulley from the tappered shaft. Once the pulleys are removed remove the 3 5/16 screws holding the field coil to the compressor and move it out of the way. Then take the woodruff key off the shaft. Now you have 5 7/16 bolts that hold the front shaft cover to the compressor. If you have pressure in the system slowly back these bolts out evenly using the existing freon pressure to push the cover out. If there is no pressure in the system you can use two screw drivers at 10 o`clock and 2 o`clock to pry the plate off, there are indents on the plate for this. Once the plate is removed you will see the front shaft seal on the front shaft of the compressor. A screwdriver will pry it off. Next take some emery cloth and sand down the front shaft to make a nice hone. Clean the shaft after that with some brake cleaner, and then coat the shaft with some refrig oil. Take the new seal coat it with refrig oil and install it on the shaft. Next inside the front plate is the other side of the seal that you can tap out easily with a small screwdriver and a hammer. After cleaning the plate and coating the plate seal with oil tap the new plate seal into place. Now replace the outer o ring on the plate with the new one provided in the kit. Oil everything real well and reinstall the plate using the 5 7/16 bolts as a puller. Reinstall the woodruff key, then the field coil and make sure that the woodruff key is aligned properly with the slot on the pulleys. Lastly install the 1/2 inch bolt, put the belts back on an then put a jumper wire from the batt to the coil to energize the field and lock the 1/2 " bolt. Disconnect the jumper wire and turn the front plate of the pulleys by hand to seat the new seal. Now you are ready to evacuate ,oil and recharge the system. Optinal if you want take the EPR valve out of the back of the compressor.

just exactly like that!

if no gas, simply jump the pressure switch at dryer

I found this NOS seal package but dunno if is the right one ( O ring looks small to me ):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They are available allmost at ANY Car AC shop down here if I ask by YORK compressor seal in Venezuela... if I ask by RV2 front seal everybody says WHATS THAT? LOL I think they should be easier to find there, locally

Re: RV2 to ???? AC compressor conversion. [Re: NachoRT74] #690193
05/07/10 10:59 AM
05/07/10 10:59 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España