midwest
I
intragration Offline OP
enthusiast
intragration  Offline OP
enthusiast
I

midwest
I'm looking for someone local to install a windshield in my '74 'Cuda. One guy I talked to, who seemed knowledgeable on the details wanted $350 just to install it, plus parts and materials. Another $350 for the rear, $3?? for the headliner...seems really high to me. Thanks!

Re: E-body Windshield Installation [Re: intragration] #689058
05/05/10 06:55 AM
05/05/10 06:55 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Call your local auto glass shop, what did they say? 350 per window is a rip, for sure.
Midwest? doesn't tell me where you live, not to worry, I won't pay you a personal visit.

Re: E-body Windshield Installation [Re: intragration] #689059
05/05/10 10:47 AM
05/05/10 10:47 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Is the window out?

If so the hard part is done. It will cost you about $15 to do it yourself for each window.

Buy a window "kit" (butyl tape and rubber blocks), and some glass/pinchweld primer.

1. Clean the window channel and the glass.
2. Do not use the tape yet Place the blocks at the bottom of the window frame and place the window on the block in the frame. Center and align it. Place tape over the windshield and the body to use as an alignment mark. Cut the tape and leave it there.
3. Lift out the window and place it outside down on blanket/grass/scratch free surface. Re-clean the glass and the pinchweld.
4. Apply pinchweld/glass primer as per the instructions on the bottle. (I have installed many windshields with out it but it is advisable to use it.)
5. Unroll the butyl tape along the windshield edge starting at the bottom center.
6. with the help of a friend move the glass in place using the tape as alignment marks. IF YOU SET IT IN WRONG DO NOT TRY TO POP IT BACK OUT. cut it out and start again.
7. With the glass in press it in place and look for areas it may hot have sealed well. Use the extra butyl tape to help those areas to seal.

Hot days are better than cold. Check for leaks before you put your trim back on.

Take about 1/2 and hour after the windshield is out.

Don't let people convince you that you have to use urethane. The new cars use it and require it but it isn't UV resistant so the edges of the glass has to have the blacked out edges. Old cars do not have the blacked out edges so they need the butyl tape.

As for the headliner I have had issues with wrinkles when I do it but I would give it a try also.

It may be easier before the glass is in also.

Somebody has a link to how to install the headliner from a magazine I'm sure.