04/20/10 09:24 PM
04/20/10 09:24 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I desperately need some help figuring out what the heck is wrong with my power steering. My Dart had manual steering on it when I got it. When I had the engine out while the car was being painted I decided I would switch it to power steering. I picked up a complete power steering set-up from another Dart and had it all gone through by the local steering shop. I installed it and didn’t do anything with it until recently when I got the car to the point where it is ready to drive. I put PS fluid in the pump and started it. Everything seemed O.K. turning the wheel in the driveway so I figured all was good (I still haven’t driven the car on the road). Well, all was not good. The steering box leaked fluid like a sieve. I thought maybe it would correct itself after some use but it only got worse. So I called the shop that rebuilt it all and one of the guys came over to look at it on Sunday. He brought a new O-ring (the large one that goes inside the box) and installed it. Somehow in the process of installing the O-ring several other problems developed. First, the steering wheel now turns to the left easily like you would expect with power steering but it will not turn to the right very easily. Actually, it is quite difficult. He tried adjusting the valve body on top of the box several times but it didn’t make any difference. After making no progress for several hours, we finally gave up for the day. Also, the other problem that came out of this is that the steering wheel is no longer centered when the wheels are straight as it was before. Today I got back to it and lifted the car up on the jack. I tried turning the wheel and the steering wheel turns without difficulty both ways as you might expect. But once back on the ground it is still very difficult to turn to the right. Also, after I had it up in the air and turned the wheel back and forth a couple of time, a large amount of the PS fluid spewed out of the reservoir through the cap. I refilled it and tried turning the wheel with the car running again but it is still difficult to turn to the right. I am at my wits end with this. I don’t know what to do and it doesn’t appear the guy from the rebuild shop knows what to do either. I’m seriously considering putting the manual box back on but I hate to have wasted the money I spent on the pump/box rebuild and I really would like to have power steering. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the problems I am experiencing?

Re: Power steering problem. Kind of long. [Re: 6PAX] #676130
04/20/10 09:45 PM
04/20/10 09:45 PM
NJ
440challenger Offline
master
440challenger  Offline
master

NJ
sounds like the rebuild shop did more harm then good to your componets. Did they go into the p/s gearbox?

Re: Power steering problem. Kind of long. [Re: 440challenger] #676131
04/20/10 10:10 PM
04/20/10 10:10 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
They were supposed to have rebuilt both the steering box and the pump.

Re: Power steering problem. Kind of long. [Re: 6PAX] #676132
04/20/10 10:42 PM
04/20/10 10:42 PM
Ft.Myers,Florida
Hemiruss Offline
mopar
Hemiruss  Offline
mopar

Ft.Myers,Florida
Sounds like the back-lash adj.was way too tight,or he didn't center the gears and the pressure weht thru the roof.Just my hard to tell from the computer,is the rebuilder going to fix it on his dime??He should just make sure you'r there or it will be one of these.( Well if you did this that wouldn't have happened,its just a small charge to "FIX IT RIGHT" kinda deal)

Re: Power steering problem. Kind of long. [Re: Hemiruss] #676133
04/20/10 10:51 PM
04/20/10 10:51 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd take the box off and take it back to their shop and drop it off and have them go into it & wait for them to call you and then if they'll make it right wo charging you again.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Power steering problem. Kind of long. [Re: RapidRobert] #676134
04/21/10 10:54 AM
04/21/10 10:54 AM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I am hoping to not have to take the box off as it will be a lot of work with the headers in the way. I am waiting for a call back from him to see what else he can do about it. But I honestly don't think he knows what is wrong since he spent almost seven hours on it Sunday and it still isn't working right.