03/21/10 10:22 PM
03/21/10 10:22 PM
pa
F
FOXY312 Offline OP
FOXY312  Offline OP
F

pa
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW TO TAKE A PART THE 70 CHALLENGER PASS SIDE MIRROR FOR PREP. TO PAINT. THE PART WEAR THE MIRROR IS. IT LOOK LIKE ITS ON BY A PIVOT BALL I DONT WANT TO BREAK THE MIRROR

Re: 1970 CHALLENGER PASS. SIDE MIRROR [Re: FOXY312] #647467
03/21/10 10:31 PM
03/21/10 10:31 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Impossible without breaking the mirror first unless your ball pivot is already loose/defective it is base.
The ball is press fit in a cone that is cast in the pod itself.
Jules

Re: 1970 CHALLENGER PASS. SIDE MIRROR [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #647468
03/21/10 10:57 PM
03/21/10 10:57 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Generally I agree with Jules but I have had some success seperating the mirrors..This is a cut & paste that I saved after typing it out repeatedly a few years ago...

step 1 disassembly, just slap the mirror housing on a piece of wood, mirror side first, a mirror in motion tends to remain in motion usually a couple solid whacks is all it takes.
the hard part is getting the mirror back in the housing, the first trick is seperating the mirror glass from the metal backing, two methods have shown moderate success, heat breaks down the adhesive sometimes, also soaking the mirror & backing plate in laquer thinner may break down the adhesive, I've never had much luck with either method, I generally just break the glass, most glass shops can cut a new one or Resto Rick sells them, he can even provide one with a date code if your the type that cares.
As long as you have the glass out nows a good time to deal with another common problem with these mirrors, the pivot tends to get loose due to the peened anchor attachments for the pivot fail, you can drill through the center of the anchors & install a 6-32x3/4 bolt & locking nut in each location problem solved
After the housing has been painted & before gluing the new mirror in the backing reinstall the backing in the mirror housing, apply a few drops of red loc-tite to make sure the mirror stays, then just tap the backing plate into the mirror housing, then glue the mirror lens in its backing with either silicone or urethane & you should be good to go!

Posted soon after by gygeneral the original poster of this thread
I tried your suggestions, it worked great!!! The only additional step I took was to soak the splined pin in WD40 for a day before I tapped the mirror against a piece of wood. First the glass came off without breaking, then a few more slaps and out came the base.

thanks again!!!

Re: 1970 CHALLENGER PASS. SIDE MIRROR [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #647469
03/22/10 07:59 AM
03/22/10 07:59 AM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Randy,
those are great tips.
I would break the glass and install a new one personally. I have yet to see a 40 year old glass
worth keeping. Hope it works out .
Jules

Re: 1970 CHALLENGER PASS. SIDE MIRROR [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #647470
03/22/10 10:51 PM
03/22/10 10:51 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Deuces-Wild Offline
Deuces-Wild  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Generally I agree with Jules but I have had some success seperating the mirrors..This is a cut & paste that I saved after typing it out repeatedly a few years ago...

step 1 disassembly, just slap the mirror housing on a piece of wood, mirror side first, a mirror in motion tends to remain in motion usually a couple solid whacks is all it takes.
the hard part is getting the mirror back in the housing, the first trick is seperating the mirror glass from the metal backing, two methods have shown moderate success, heat breaks down the adhesive sometimes, also soaking the mirror & backing plate in laquer thinner may break down the adhesive, I've never had much luck with either method, I generally just break the glass, most glass shops can cut a new one or Resto Rick sells them, he can even provide one with a date code if your the type that cares.
As long as you have the glass out nows a good time to deal with another common problem with these mirrors, the pivot tends to get loose due to the peened anchor attachments for the pivot fail, you can drill through the center of the anchors & install a 6-32x3/4 bolt & locking nut in each location problem solved
After the housing has been painted & before gluing the new mirror in the backing reinstall the backing in the mirror housing, apply a few drops of red loc-tite to make sure the mirror stays, then just tap the backing plate into the mirror housing, then glue the mirror lens in its backing with either silicone or urethane & you should be good to go!

Posted soon after by gygeneral the original poster of this thread
I tried your suggestions, it worked great!!! The only additional step I took was to soak the splined pin in WD40 for a day before I tapped the mirror against a piece of wood. First the glass came off without breaking, then a few more slaps and out came the base.

thanks again!!!

Especially on drilling out the spring plate rivets and replace with bolts/nuts. Works and tight as a drum...

Its great to see that Mopar minds think alike..