03/21/10 06:03 AM
03/21/10 06:03 AM
Columbus, Ohio
R
rarbird Offline OP
rarbird  Offline OP
R

Columbus, Ohio
My starter is making an irritating noise like its not releasing for a second or two after I release the key. I looked at the starter and discovered the brown wire to the starter relay had contacted the exhaust manifold and burned the insulation. The wire wasn’t burned too badly but where it connected to the starter you could see brown discoloration on the white ceramic portion of the starter solenoid. I removed the starter and replaced it with a mini starter. It was much easier to install. The starter makes the same noise. Anybody have any ideas??? Starter Relay, mis-wired, etc.

Re: starter noise help [Re: rarbird] #646708
03/21/10 09:32 AM
03/21/10 09:32 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
i would replace the starter relay..you change the starter to a mini already

the relay may be sticking and kepping the bendix engauged a little to long maybe

may want to look at the teeth on the ring gear of the TC for any problems there also.make sure the TC bolts are tight so the TC does not slid back and cause an alinment problem makeing the noise

that small wire on the starter could be toast on the inside as well

may wnt to run another from relay to starter

just some ideas to check out

Re: starter noise help [Re: scratchnfotraction] #646709
03/21/10 09:44 AM
03/21/10 09:44 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Take the brown "solenoid" wire off of the starter relay and touch it to the large batt stud there on the relay to eliminate (or confirm) a sticking relay. Still bad? as Scratch said check teeth. there's a little play on a starter and as you install it I'd hold it away from the ring teeth to gain a bit more clearance which might help you and also push the starter pinion gear out by hand or take off the large cable and energize only the solenoid & see how far front to rear the pinion teeth engage along the ring gear teeth. EDIT & check how far the teeth engage into the ring gear which is more critical

Last edited by RapidRobert; 03/21/10 10:12 AM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth