A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

.....to keep our Cars and Hobby alive.

I want to thank you Jeff for taking the time to share your thoughts as they relate to this topic. It is good to hear the views of those who represent the Heart and Soul of our Industry. I want to take just a moment to convey a thought regarding the input and continuation of our Hobby. Our group of guys (Steve Been, Dave Stuart, Tom Barcroft and myself) have been classified as a little eccentric (aka; crazy) for how we handle our restorations. These cars are NOT being restored for a "wow factor" or any other self serving purposes. It is however, very interesting to research and document the history of these classic machines! In order to better serve the Hobby a manufacturer/supplier should know first hand the trials and turmoil that a person experiences when restoring these vehicles. Unless you are intimately involved with the processes there is no way to truly relate with your target market. Researching factory processes to the "nth" degree provides a test bed for new products and ideas that can hopefully help others with their projects. Eleanor Roosevelt was quoted as saying, "people should learn from the mistakes of others since you can’t live long enough to make them all yourself". Believe me when I say that our group has encountered a tremendous amount of mistakes along the way. If we are able to come up with new ideas and concepts to help others with their projects then all of the sacrifice and hard work is worth it. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts Jeff!!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644006
03/21/10 09:18 AM
03/21/10 09:18 AM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
Captain Flapjack  Offline
mopar
C

U.S.A.
Quote:

These cars are NOT being restored for a "wow factor" or any other self serving purposes. It is however, very interesting to research and document the history of these classic machines! In order to better serve the Hobby a manufacturer/supplier should know first hand the trials and turmoil that a person experiences when restoring these vehicles. Unless you are intimately involved with the processes there is no way to truly relate with your target market. Researching factory processes to the "nth" degree provides a test bed for new products and ideas that can hopefully help others with their projects. If we are able to come up with new ideas and concepts to help others with their projects then all of the sacrifice and hard work is worth it.

Between your exhaustive efforts and great results with your Challenger and now your Valiant, what products have you been able to develop and offer for public consumption?

Thank You

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644007
03/21/10 10:18 AM
03/21/10 10:18 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Quote:

Quote:

what if the same mfg company was found and they started making widgets again with the same materials and same tooling, is that a reproduction??

I have always said that NOS parts that were made to repair or replace original parts were nothing more than reproduction parts. They are definitely "period correct" but they were reproduction replacement parts that were commissioned and sanctioned by Chrysler. The NOS mufflers that most everyone uses today (including myself) are NOT like the ones that originally came on our factory cars. Arin was the independent subsidized manufacturer who was awarded the bid to provide the assembly line mufflers and I believe Maremont ended up getting the secondary contract to make the mufflers that were used for repairs and/or replacements. Both styles were made using engineering specifications supplied by Chrysler. This line of thinking really opens up various trains of thought for OE judging and what should or should not be acceptable.

Dave is it true that some of the NOS stuff are rejects,I here that alot and am wondering is it true?I know of people that have bought NOS quarters for their cars and things like door gaps were off and etc.,etc.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 70RT Charger] #644008
03/21/10 01:22 PM
03/21/10 01:22 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
It's true that a lot of NOS sheetmetal does not fit good-compared to the original stampings!
Bogusracer, I have to disagree with you on the new reproduction licensed parts being considered NOS. And, I back that statement up, by saying some of the "licensed" parts today are not up to true original quality/fit. A perfect example would be glass & moldings. I have had NOS stuff here that fits perfectly, and tried the same moldings from 3 different sources, and there was no comparison! So to put some of these parts in the same category of NOS is a stretch. I will say the closest parts to perfect are those manufactured by Mike at BEA & Dave Walden, and some metal from AMD. The goal I have in all my restorations is to use as many of the original parts that came on the car as possible. This is hard to do with stuff like interiors, but a lot of items can be replated/repaired while keeping all the original casting/date codes.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Captain Flapjack] #644009
03/21/10 01:29 PM
03/21/10 01:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Between your exhaustive efforts and great results with your Challenger and now your Valiant, what products have you been able to develop and offer for public consumption?

EVERY product we manufacture actually started because of these projects. I didn't own a Chrysler vehicle until January of 2002. I bought the Black Cuda and it basically took off from there. ECS did not have a Chrysler line at that time. As I started researching the decals for the Cuda I realized that they were nothing like the originals so I decided to do the same thing I did for the Ford Hobby and reproduce ones that were correct. The entire process began out of a personal need for quality parts. The Carpet and Date Coded Glass began with the Cuda as well as the foundation for the entire Decal line, including the VIN decals. The Challenger prompted the new Package Trays, R/T Stripe Packages, specialized tags such as fuel sending unit cards, engine ID tag, "Chrysler Corporation" latex ink Dry Transfers, etc..... The Valiant project prompted one of the best products to date! Since we lost points on the Challenger for having oil on bare metal parts, I needed to find a way to preserve the natural finish of metal in an inconspicuous way. We are finalizing a "dry" preservative for bare metal that is undetectable when it is applied to bare metal parts. The only hold up with that product is our packaging process.

Basically every product ECS offers originated from a personal need (for parts) in order to restore the Cuda, Challenger and Valiant!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644010
03/21/10 09:04 PM
03/21/10 09:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why have none of you guys in the know responded to my post? Is it still the same and a touchy suBject?

"I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class, but here is my take on all of this.

Back in 2000 I bought a second owner 1968 Hemi Charger that was all numbers matching with history to the original owner that need restoration. I began looking around for a judging manual for OEM cars. I just wanted to have a guideline to make sure I didn't spend time and money doing something wrong during resto to this great car. I found that the venue that people were using was the Mopar Nationals and that there was no judging manual available to "regular people." This meaning that the ones judging these cars either just had their own notes or a manual that they would not "share" with outsiders. To add insult to injury, the majority of the judges were also people in the business of restoring others csrs for profit and were often judging car THEY had restored. Obviously I was not the only one that thought this was totally wrong but no one seemed to be doing anything about it.

The only other experience I had ever had with a situation like this was with Corvettes I used to own. Since 1974 NCRS has produced and sold judging manuals for the cars they judge on an OEM level. Anyone could buy them and they incouraged people that want to participate to buy them prior to starting their resto. Everything was spelled out regarding what was right and what points were awarded right or wrong.

I know that since then there is now a new judging format with a written judging manual available for this purpose for Mopars, however from the sounds of this thread, it seems that there is STILL a lot of laditude for individual judges to make their OWN decisions regarding scoring rather than adhereing to black and white written judging rules. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the people having cars judged."

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644011
03/21/10 10:38 PM
03/21/10 10:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Why have none of you guys in the know responded to my post? Is it still the same and a touchy suBject?

"I personally have absolutely no interest in restoring a car with the intentions of having it judged in an OE or any other kind of class, but here is my take on all of this.

Hi Darryl,
What response were you looking for? It is certainly your prerogative NOT to be involved with OE vehicles or to feel upset about the judging programs. One question I have after reading your view is......why request or rely on a judging manual when you pretty much have concluded that there is too much "latitude" in the process? One thing to remember is that Corvettes are the exception when it comes to "manuals" and protocol for factory procedures. They were ALL built at one location so it is fairly simple to accurately document how things were done. There was also just one platform or model of vehicle being built at that Corvette facility. All other "non specialty" cars were built in various plants scattered across the country and MANY different models were constructed under one roof. Confusion and process overlap were build characteristics that showed up on many of the original Chrysler vehicles.

If you rely on someone's lead, opinion or rule of thumb, two things usually take place. Number one you are investing significant time and money on concepts that might or might not be correct. Second, you cheat yourself of knowledge that is gained from the "personal" aspect of the project. It takes more time and effort but in the end you won't be sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out whether or not your efforts have been in vain! If you do the research with no preconceived expectations and document the original characteristics for what they are, then no one can argue whether or not it is correct. Do the research, accurately process and document the facts, incorporate them accurately in your restoration and you have won the battle! It doesn't leave much room for judging interpretation or error does it!?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644012
03/21/10 11:46 PM
03/21/10 11:46 PM
Canuckville
68Cbarge Offline
master
68Cbarge  Offline
master

Canuckville
How many pages before the mod locks this one up??
Anyhoo,I am doing up a 68 C body.
I have to take the time to search for NOS trim parts since there are no reproductions available.
I am using some repop that interchanges from B body,that's it.(door handles,window cranks,arm rest bases)
I am not going for gold,yet NOS is priced like gold.
I am documenting all the NOS I use,should I enter a judged show.
I am doing it mainly for myself and do not care what judges think.
In fact judges are not well versed in C bodies anyways.

When the little kids says "Nice car" or Gramps says "I had one just like it" I am a winner every time..

I always admired the high quality restorations,the efforts put into them and the owner's time and money involved entering a OE class.
It inspired me to do the best I can on my own car-and still enjoy it as hobby-even though it is just a C.

'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget!! BOAB
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
2008 Chrysler 300c HEMI!
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 68Cbarge] #644013
03/22/10 01:00 AM
03/22/10 01:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

How many pages before the mod locks this one up?? :hammer

For What?

I want to clear up a comment I made in a previous thread. Chrysler did not manufacture terrible vehicles! There were many cars that had built in variations due to human repetition and habits on the assembly line. There was another thread a few days ago where someone inquired about the correct direction of shackle bolts. Another member was kind enough to show a factory drawing that illustrated an exploded view of the shackle assembly. It showed the shackle bolt nuts facing to the inside of the vehicle. That is how the factory INTENDED for the vehicles to be built. On our valiant project the set up is opposite to what those drawings show. The attaching nuts are facing the OUTSIDE of the vehicle! It does not hurt or impede the functioning of the car but it is a deviation of the original engineering instructions. That type of "Confusion" characteristic will need to be shown to the judges in the photos that were taken during our documenting stage.

(Thanks for the conversation and correction Korey! I hope this clarifies the other post.)

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644014
03/22/10 05:32 PM
03/22/10 05:32 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Quote:

Quote:

How many pages before the mod locks this one up?? :hammer

For What?

I want to clear up a comment I made in a previous thread. Chrysler did not manufacture terrible vehicles! There were many cars that had built in variations due to human repetition and habits on the assembly line. There was another thread a few days ago where someone inquired about the correct direction of shackle bolts. Another member was kind enough to show a factory drawing that illustrated an exploded view of the shackle assembly. It showed the shackle bolt nuts facing to the inside of the vehicle. That is how the factory INTENDED for the vehicles to be built. On our valiant project the set up is opposite to what those drawings show. The attaching nuts are facing the OUTSIDE of the vehicle! It does not hurt or impede the functioning of the car but it is a deviation of the original engineering instructions. That type of "Confusion" characteristic will need to be shown to the judges in the photos that were taken during our documenting stage.

(Thanks for the conversation and correction Korey! I hope this clarifies the other post.)

Dave is dead on with this- even though the factory had an engineering drawing for the way things were supposed to be done, a factory worker did it the way he felt that day! That is, among other factors, why a complete black and white restoration book could never be written to encompass all areas of these cars. There is soooo much to still learn about these cars it's not funny. I believe, every year, that we mearly have scratched the surface of knowledge. I mean think about that statement for a minute. How many different models, and plants and date changes for components were there?!
I have seen the most absolute, absurd things while taking these cars apart, and most people as well as some judges, would cry foul if I took a car to a show with some of the mistakes the factory made. I have taken cars apart that had no heater hose brackets installed and they dang near layed on the manifolds, as well as cars with missing nuts on suspension parts-tell me how that passed inspection??

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: 68Cbarge] #644015
03/22/10 07:12 PM
03/22/10 07:12 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
Quote:

How many pages before the mod locks this one up??
Anyhoo,I am doing up a 68 C body.
I have to take the time to search for NOS trim parts since there are no reproductions available.
I am using some repop that interchanges from B body,that's it.(door handles,window cranks,arm rest bases)
I am not going for gold,yet NOS is priced like gold.
I am documenting all the NOS I use,should I enter a judged show.
I am doing it mainly for myself and do not care what judges think.
In fact judges are not well versed in C bodies anyways.

When the little kids says "Nice car" or Gramps says "I had one just like it" I am a winner every time..

I always admired the high quality restorations,the efforts put into them and the owner's time and money involved entering a OE class.
It inspired me to do the best I can on my own car-and still enjoy it as hobby-even though it is just a C.

Tell me about it. it's almost impossible to find certain parts for my 70 Cordoba. the few parts i have found i snatched up in a second, no matter what the cost was.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644016
03/22/10 11:03 PM
03/22/10 11:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Darryl,
What response were you looking for? It is certainly your prerogative NOT to be involved with OE vehicles or to feel upset about the judging programs. One question I have after reading your view is...... why request or rely on a judging manual when you pretty much have concluded that there is too much "latitude" in the process? One thing to remember is that Corvettes are the exception when it comes to "manuals" and protocol for factory procedures. They were ALL built at one location so it is fairly simple to accurately document how things were done. There was also just one platform or model of vehicle being built at that Corvette facility. All other "non specialty" cars were built in various plants scattered across the country and MANY different models were constructed under one roof. Confusion and process overlap were build characteristics that showed up on many of the original Chrysler vehicles.

If you rely on someone's lead, opinion or rule of thumb, two things usually take place. Number one you are investing significant time and money on concepts that might or might not be correct. Second, you cheat yourself of knowledge that is gained from the "personal" aspect of the project. It takes more time and effort but in the end you won't be sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out whether or not your efforts have been in vain! If you do the research with no preconceived expectations and document the original characteristics for what they are, then no one can argue whether or not it is correct. Do the research, accurately process and document the facts, incorporate them accurately in your restoration and you have won the battle! It doesn't leave much room for judging interpretation or error does it!?

I am looking for answers to my specific questions in my post.

I did not rely on one as I couldn't get one at that time. My laditude comment was based on the commentary of the guys in the know in this thread.

Yes, Corvettes are one specific model, but that arguement has nor stopped the current availability of manuals now did it?

If you are referring to this with the use of the judging manual I would think there should be no room for error (as per judged using there ifo righy or wrong) if it is adhered to, but that was one of my questions. If the manual is wrong which they sometimes are, they are always a work in progress and sometimes change or are added to. However that is not for an individual judge to determine until the manual is actually changed weather he is right or not.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644017
03/22/10 11:40 PM
03/22/10 11:40 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Having worked in auto assembly plant for 18 years(unfortunately in the 90's-2000's) I know firsthand that engineering blueprints are just "plans" for how it should be done. Everyday the plan needs to change to keep the line moving efficiently and many times a worker is moved to a new job to cover for an area that is short handed that day.
Many times when the worker is moved to a new job he only gets about 10 minutes to learn the job and then is left to figure it out as he goes. Many times when this happens he is just trying to keep up with the line( new car every 49 seconds) so as not to get behind and if the part fits(even if it doesn't) he sends it down the line just trying to survive.
Many other times there can be a part shortage or even a running change to improve flow and parts or processes change accordingly.
As far as a manual for restoring a certain model goes, wouldn't that be nice? But then everyone would be an expert!!!!!

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Phone: 815-223-8424 10-6 CST
Email: sales@bluestarperformance.com
Many more parts and cars @ http://bluestarperformance.com
Chrysler Classic Events 2008 Mopar Builder of the Year
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #644018
03/23/10 06:02 PM
03/23/10 06:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Having worked in auto assembly plant for 18 years(unfortunately in the 90's-2000's) I know firsthand that engineering blueprints are just "plans" for how it should be done. Everyday the plan needs to change to keep the line moving efficiently and many times a worker is moved to a new job to cover for an area that is short handed that day.
Many times when the worker is moved to a new job he only gets about 10 minutes to learn the job and then is left to figure it out as he goes. Many times when this happens he is just trying to keep up with the line( new car every 49 seconds) so as not to get behind and if the part fits(even if it doesn't) he sends it down the line just trying to survive.
Many other times there can be a part shortage or even a running change to improve flow and parts or processes change accordingly.
As far as a manual for restoring a certain model goes, wouldn't that be nice? But then everyone would be an expert!!!!!

Things haven't changed since the 60s with regards to what you have stated here.

Regarding judging manuals for seperate models, it isd my understanding that ICCA now has them.

I am still trying to get an answer regarding if the judges in this venue still have laditude and don't have to adhere strictly to the judging manual? No one seems to want to address this, why?
It seems to me that there is no purpose in having a manual that someone restores their car to those standards only to be held hostage with points not given due to a judges opinion. Just asking if this is still going on as it used to at the Nationals?

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644019
03/23/10 06:36 PM
03/23/10 06:36 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
YES. the judges DO have latitude at the Nationals. I have judged there for 10 years, in various classes, and we are always briefed the day of judging to allow for production variables and if we have a question, to ask someone more knowledgable or simply not to deduct points in that area.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644020
03/23/10 07:43 PM
03/23/10 07:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I am still trying to get an answer regarding if the judges in this venue still have laditude and don't have to adhere strictly to the judging manual? No one seems to want to address this, why?

I did address you question but I think you are looking for a sentence or two that will explain everything. You are basically asking a question as vague as, "What do I need to do in order to be healthy"? There isn't a quick reference to provide EVERY aspect of the assembly of a vehicle! Have you ever researched the engineering that goes into a Camshaft for instance? You have a large TEAM of people with full time jobs just to design and manufacture that ONE part! Do you really think that with one or two reference manuals it is possible to uncover EVERY ASPECT that goes into the assembling of a vehicle? I hope people can now understand why it is so difficult for one person or even a team of guys to process what THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of employees were involved with when building these cars. I COMMEND the Judges for the research and service they VOLUNTARILY provide! Never criticize the efforts of another until you walk a mile in their shoes!!!

I will attempt to answer this again but whether you refuse to accept the concept is completely up to you. I am not looking for an argument and I would hope that everyone posting here is genuinely looking to obtain knowledge! It is impossible for anyone to know Everything. COLLECTIVELY we should (hopefully) move closer to finding the facts!

There are manuals, fliers, books, reference guides, etc.... that show how things were done at the factory. These instructional guides convey how a paint job was applied, how an "Assembly" was pieced together or which correct parts were required. No manual or reference material is going to tell ANYONE where drips should or shouldn't be, what scratches should be found on certain assembly parts, etc...etc.... If you are looking for specifics regarding the "signature" characteristics of an assembly line employee you will never find it unless "A PARTICULAR VEHICLE" is used as your reference. You can instruct someone how to sign their name but do you think that they are capable of doing it the EXACT same way twice? Of course not! Using the same logic you will never get an explanation as to WHY the thousands of variations occurred on these cars. These vehicles and their assembly features involved human labor and inconsistencies! Cars today are built almost exclusively by robots that do not use a "tolerance" but an absolute "spec" in their quality control program. The "How To's" ARE out there when it comes to these old cars. It just takes a little effort to find them. It doesn't make sense to think that you can learn the characteristics an OE car via "quick reference" material! (That is like saying that you WANT to be a patient person and you WANT to be patient...RIGHT NOW)! Every little nuance within those human performed tasks may never be completely disclosed. The only way to become familiar with the individual aspects of a car is to research, research, research, research and then research some more! The ability to "judge" those personal traits comes from HOURS of documenting and researching. This allows you to be able to recognize the peripheral "consequences" of what was left behind during the assembly process. To document every aspect in a "How To OE Manual" would take forever! I don't know how I can be any clearer. I hope this helps!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644021
03/23/10 08:01 PM
03/23/10 08:01 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

What happens if you copy something during restoration that happens to be very specific to your car...
Can a judge tell you it's wrong, because he or she has not seen that on other cars or in a manual?

Example:
Lets say your whatchamacallit is held on by two bolts that have a symbol "H" on them....
Every manual you've read, or that the judges have read says the bolts should have an anchor on them. Every other similar car has anchors on them ...

...but you've owned the car since new, never had that part replaced and you have photo documentation...of your "H" bolts...

Can a judge deduct points for incorrect bolts?

Then I come along....I'm restoring a rust bucket that was in a thousand pieces...I see photos of your car and your bolts....I add "H" bolts to my car, because I know your car scored gold...
I take my car to the Nats the following year...but I get deducted for having the wrong bolts....

Could this scenario happen?

For most people who don't have mint cars to start restoring have to rely on other examples for the facts...
But could easily be confused

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: anlauto] #644022
03/23/10 08:26 PM
03/23/10 08:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With all due respect to that line if questioning Alan, I try and avoid all the various hypothetical possibilities. Before I (We) enter these events I make sure that our research is not contingent on "opinions" or other unsubstantiated unknowns. This has been the mind set of everyone involved with this Valiant project. Those who usually crash and burn realize they did NOT take the time to document those "peculiar" characteristics that confronted them during the project. We have a few of those oddities but I can assure you that we took pictures form every angle under the Sun to guarantee that our restoration efforts would not be left to incorrect interpretation.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: anlauto] #644023
03/23/10 09:42 PM
03/23/10 09:42 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Dave I certainly was referring to any one of your cars...

The point I was trying to make was...if the bolt is proven correct for "one" car VS the norm of several cars...what happens if I choose the copy that "one" car ?
Again I refer to ME as coping because in 26 years of Mopars I've NEVER dismantled a 100% origianal car, they've all been nothing more then a bucket of bolts.

In many cases....What was proven to be correct on "one" car has been copied and copied and copied on to several other cars ...leading us to a "norm" which has been generally accepted by the judging public for years ... when it may not have been 100% correct in the first place

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #644024
03/23/10 09:47 PM
03/23/10 09:47 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I agree with Dave. If you are doing this type of job, document the variances.

Mark it down folks, this may only happen once. Like a special bolt only used a one plant on one day of one year.

I want my fair share
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6