IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Seeing the earlier post about over restoring a car Vs. OEM type restorations got me thinking.
In original class judging(not the OE class), shouldn't more wight be given to the use of NOS parts or refurbished original parts than using Repo. parts?
It appears to me that many times a pretty repo. part is given the same or more respect and points than if the restorer had used NOS parts or refurbished the original parts.
In my experience, the judges are not taking this into consideration when the car is judged and the judging sheets should have an area for giving the car more points for keeping the car more "original".
I know that in the Mopar Nationals judging the points are based on condition and originality. A car can get equal points for condition and originality. I feel that more weight should be given for originality.
Any thoughts on this?
Mark @ Blue Star Performance

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Phone: 815-223-8424 10-6 CST
Email: sales@bluestarperformance.com
Many more parts and cars @ http://bluestarperformance.com
Chrysler Classic Events 2008 Mopar Builder of the Year
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643966
03/18/10 01:35 PM
03/18/10 01:35 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
some big parts are noticeable repop, like fan shrouds, pie tins, b-body square tach, some other smaller stuff like nuts and bolts not as noticable if they are not dead on.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ademon] #643967
03/18/10 01:54 PM
03/18/10 01:54 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
It will vary with the judging body involved. IMO original production line parts in mint condition with all of the original and correct part#'s and date codes, etc. will ALWAYS have an advantage over anything else in an OE judging situation (OE being original as it rolled off the assembly line).

Some will mix words, have varied opinions, attitudes, etc. but the bottom line is that calling anything short of the above description "correct" would be a contradiction of terms, and be an attempt to change history.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643968
03/18/10 02:12 PM
03/18/10 02:12 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Scott, I agree that in OE judging as delivered is a must and usually original parts are favored but I am asking about cars restored to original appearance and being judged in the original class vs. modified. I see time and time again in many venues cars with noticeably repo. parts scoring above cars that were done with tons of NOS and refurbished original parts but looking "pretty" being judged higher.

Ademan, Yes, many of the parts are easily noticeable some others are to the right eye so to speak. Tail light bezels, side markers, hoses, washer bottles,etc. are some things that come to mind.

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643969
03/18/10 02:53 PM
03/18/10 02:53 PM
near Port Huron, MI
Paul Offline
master
Paul  Offline
master

near Port Huron, MI
I see the distinction between stock restored and OE Gold classes as two entirely different animals. It's like comparing a Div-1 basketball team to a Div-2 team, they do the same thing, but are not equal.

My take is if you are in an 'original stock restored' type class, where the owner/restorer did not prep the car for the OE concours correct paint daub, factory original NOS air in the tires and velvet glove class, that reproduction parts should look correct and no points taken if they are used. In the event, that two equal cars make it to the top, then would be the time to take special consideration as to whether its OEM or Repop. (tie breaker situation)

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul] #643970
03/18/10 03:02 PM
03/18/10 03:02 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Quote:

I see the distinction between stock restored and OE Gold classes as two entirely different animals. It's like comparing a Div-1 basketball team to a Div-2 team, they do the same thing, but are not equal.

My take is if you are in an 'original stock restored' type class, where the owner/restorer did not prep the car for the OE concours correct paint daub, factory original NOS air in the tires and velvet glove class, that reproduction parts should look correct and no points taken if they are used. In the event, that two equal cars make it to the top, then would be the time to take special consideration as to whether its OEM or Repop. (tie breaker situation)

That's my personal opinion as well. Well said.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: burdar] #643971
03/18/10 03:17 PM
03/18/10 03:17 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Again, it really depends on the judging body, they all judge using different criteria, and from what I've seen most "show field" judinging is HIGHLY subjective to the guy holding the clip board's opinion.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643972
03/18/10 05:18 PM
03/18/10 05:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Again, it really depends on the judging body , they all judge using different criteria, and from what I've seen most "show field" judinging is HIGHLY subjective to the guy holding the clip board's opinion.

And there in lies the problem for most people. This is why there should be an available judging manual for people restoring or showing their cars to prepare from that ALL of the judges use and adhere to so there is no room for a particular judges "personal opinion."

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643973
03/18/10 07:54 PM
03/18/10 07:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"In original class judging"

Hi Mark,
I think the category or class quoted above answers the basic question. In the Ford World their class for originality (similar to OE) is the THOROUGHBRED CLASS. The problem there was some of the judges were allowing certain items to slip through because they were considered too difficult to find. Things like the original Battery, Tires, Exhaust, etc.... the perishables! So what did they do? They "watered down" the criteria by allowing those items to compete on an equal level with cars that DID NOT incorporate those particular original pieces. About 9 years ago I was shocked to see an all original Boss 302 get the same Gold classification as another participant who had a reproduction battery, tires and exhaust system. There was so many disgruntle people complaining that they decided to come up with a new class called the PLATINUM THOROUGHBRED. The "Thoroughbred Class" originally stated that not ONE part could be a reproduction and be allowed to participate in that venue. They basically did what I stated in the other thread and changed their definitions to accommodate their agenda! There are some participants who can now "brag" that they have a "THOROUGHBRED" car even though in reality, they do not!! I've said it before and I'll say it again....HISTORY does not change, only our awareness and perception of it. I guess you can apply that to certain definitions. If they don't include or make you feel good, someone will simply move the fences!!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643974
03/18/10 08:21 PM
03/18/10 08:21 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
oooohhh, eeeeeee, aahhhh, this is a touchy subject

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643975
03/18/10 08:57 PM
03/18/10 08:57 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
Mark,
My thoughts are, unfortunately, a lot of show car judges might be knowledgable, but fewer can tell an NOS part vs a repo. For instance, how many people even reading these forums can instantly tell you what the differences are in repo vs original plug wires, radiator caps, radiator cores, battery cables etc? And this board is full of very sharp people!
There are some VERY good repo parts out there, but there are always minute details, that only someone who studies both parts in fine detail, would know. I think the cars using NOS parts vs. repo parts is what actually seperates not only the class-but the judges!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Paul Jacobs] #643976
03/18/10 09:46 PM
03/18/10 09:46 PM
New York
N
NYAL23 Offline
NYAL23  Offline
N

New York
I think what is also happening is these days you cannot find nos parts. It is very difficult to find mopar nos muscle car parts. We are almost forced to use repops.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: NYAL23] #643977
03/18/10 10:21 PM
03/18/10 10:21 PM
Wausau Wi
C
Convertcuda Offline
mopar
Convertcuda  Offline
mopar
C

Wausau Wi
If you look hard enough you can find NOS parts. You will have to take out a second morgage on your house before you buy. It's the assembly line parts that cost the real money and knowlege to figure out. There are many differences betweeen assemlby line and NOS.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: Convertcuda] #643978
03/18/10 11:30 PM
03/18/10 11:30 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
That is exactly what I am talking about. NOS can be found if you take the time and effort to do it and shouldn't that be rewarded?

Paul, I believe you are correct, many of the judges can't tell the difference. Maybe in the "Big Show" in the original classes an OE judge needs to be involved to make the distinction in original or repo. otherwise as Dave said we are watering down the judging to suit the masses.

Shouldn't an award really need to be earned?

As far as using the originality factor to be a tie breaker, shouldn't that already have been factored in before it gets that far? Original is the point of an original class after all isn't it?

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: bluestar2] #643979
03/19/10 02:52 PM
03/19/10 02:52 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
OK, i took this approach with my Challenger.

if the NOS part was obscenely expensive, i used repo parts.

if it's visible and you can noticeably tell the difference between the two, I went with NOS

i looked for a lot of original parts, cleaned them up and they looked and are correct.

i wanted to drive my car, so ALL NOS parts would be a waste of money for me.

i only had two frivolous NOS buys so far

NOS left fender - $700
NOS 14" trim rings - $600

as for the judging thing, i can give a rats a** what people think and say about my car. it's mine and not theirs. if they have a negative comment then go build you own. judges can keep all the trophies, I'm out to meet people and have a good time!

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643980
03/19/10 03:24 PM
03/19/10 03:24 PM
Minneapolis, MN
H
hemi70se Offline
top fuel
hemi70se  Offline
top fuel
H

Minneapolis, MN
Mark, Great topic for discussion since I think the judging needs to put more weight into this. I had my Hemi Charger judged at the Nats last summer and I don't think they took into account one bit all the NOS steering and suspension parts I had on it. I spent 10 years gathering up all the NOS front susp parts and I'll bet I have $3000 into them. I even spent $1000 on an NOS pair of front shocks with the correct part #. Seems as they would judge it no different as though I had all Moog aftermarket in it, which I could have bought much cheaper and had the next day. It's just nice to feel some reward for not taking the easy way out.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: joelson6] #643981
03/19/10 03:52 PM
03/19/10 03:52 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

OK, i took this approach with my Challenger.

if the NOS part was obscenely expensive, i used repo parts.

if it's visible and you can noticeably tell the difference between the two, I went with NOS

i looked for a lot of original parts, cleaned them up and they looked and are correct.

i wanted to drive my car, so ALL NOS parts would be a waste of money for me.

i only had two frivolous NOS buys so far

NOS left fender - $700
NOS 14" trim rings - $600

as for the judging thing, i can give a rats a** what people think and say about my car. it's mine and not theirs. if they have a negative comment then go build you own. judges can keep all the trophies, I'm out to meet people and have a good time!

That's great, everyone should enjoy the hobby and thier cars to meet thier personal level of satisfaction.

That being said, if you bring your car to be judged (meaning that nobody is "judging" your car unless you asked for it to be judged), don't blame the judges for pointing out things that are incorrect due to the personal choices you made in restoring your car.

Bluestar, I agree with you, cars that have correct parts (NOS production line correct parts, properly restored original, etc.) should recieve higher scores than those that have the same parts replaced with a reproduction or incorrectly restored original parts.

The ICCA OE Gold judging body is developing a system which leaves room for both types of cars, those restored with a high number of reproduction parts, and those which have a higher number of original/NOS parts used in thier restoration. I won't go into depth here because detailed perameters have not been set in stone yet. Basically what is done is that there are colors assigned to the points.

For example a black point would be for an original componant, and a red point is assigned to a reproduction componant.

At the bottom of the score sheet the black and red points are totalled seperately then combined for a total score, a car using a high number of correct original parts might have a total of 96 percentage points (most cars have 2-3,000 total points possible) which would make the car an "OE Gold" scoring car. Since most of it's componants are originals, most of that 96% (say 80%) would be "black" points, and the remaining (16%) would be red. Where as the car using more reproduction parts might have the same 96% OE Gold score but that score would have a larger number of "red" points, say 56% red and 40% black.

In the above scenario a hobbiest could still build a car to an "OE Gold" level, but do so affordably using less expensive/available parts. This system is also fair to the other person who went the all out and spent the time and money to do his car using as much NOS as possible because the ICCA keeps permanant records of how each car scores. The higher "black" point cars will always be recognized as being more historically correct.

Two scenarios for the above owners:

Reproduction parts user: "I have a car that scored 96% OE Gold in ICCA show judging, it's a 56% black point car"

OEM parts user: "I have a car that score 96% OE Gold in ICCA show judging, It's an 80% black point car"

Both people have bragging rights to an OE Gold car and a person considering which car to use as a reference restoration model would then have a clear understanding of which car really was more accurate to what rolled off the assembly line when doing his own car. Personally I see it as a win/win for all involved.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643982
03/19/10 04:23 PM
03/19/10 04:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I know this part of a quote was not yours Scott (and you briefly referenced it) but I could only laugh and shake my head when I read it. Judges simply do their job......they judge what is brought WILLINGLY to their venue/event. Why would anyone take such a hostile stand against a group of people that do what they are assigned to do? Judges do not scour the shows looking to criticize and put cars down for displaying personal characteristics! They don't care what people do to their cars!!! Their job is simply to determine if a vehicle exhibits the necessary characteristics to be deemed worthy of a predetermined set of standards! I have yet to see ANY judges on a mission to find show participants so they can "have a negative comment" about what they bring to a show. If you don't want the critique of a judge....don't put your car in a judged event.

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #643983
03/19/10 04:44 PM
03/19/10 04:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Bluestar, I agree with you, cars that have correct parts (NOS production line correct parts, properly restored original, etc.) should recieve higher scores than those that have the same parts replaced with a reproduction or incorrectly restored original parts.

The ICCA OE Gold judging body is developing a system ....
In the above scenario a hobbiest could still build a car to an "OE Gold" level, but do so affordably using less expensive/available parts.
Both people have bragging rights to an OE Gold car and a person considering which car to use as a reference restoration model would then have a clear understanding of which car really was more accurate to what rolled off the assembly line when doing his own car. Personally I see it as a win/win for all involved.

Brother Scott,
You might want to re-evaluate that line of judging. It falls right in step with the Ford program that I mentioned earlier in this post. Think of the name of your class....."OE." If it is an OE class there should be NO concessions for reproduction parts. The program has simply been watered down to allow those OE "bragging" rights that you mentioned. It is like having a contest for the most beautiful Virgin but saying that one Virgin has had sex a couple times so she/he can only be rated to a "black" or "red" level. The initial concept is a contradiction in terms to the program's intent! You may not agree but "OE" means ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT just like "Virgin" means PURE. You can't have all these cars getting OE Gold but with explanations and/or excuses. A vehicle is either worthy of an OE Gold classification or it needs to digress and be ranked in a lower class due to it's OWN shortcomings.

Dave

Re: Original restorations Repo. VS original parts #643984
03/19/10 05:56 PM
03/19/10 05:56 PM
IL
B
bluestar2 Offline OP
enthusiast
bluestar2  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

IL
Dirk, Believe or not your car is one that gave me this idea. When I looked at it in Farmington I could see the level you had gone to with the car. When I heard how you were judged(not by passers by but by the judging staff) at both Carlisle and the Nats. I knew you may be in trouble. I think the car could have received a better score if it had been OE judged.
As for the possible new ICCA judging criteria, I think it should not be called OE judging but make up a new name. Those that receive the OE gold but with an asterisk next to it probably will fail to mention the level of red and black points, only say the car is OE Gold certified.
But back to the main subject, I feel the current criteria of judging needs to be changed for the original classes to better reflect the times. There are many good repo. parts out there now(and it is getting harder to tell them from NOS) but ordering from a catalog should not be the same as spending your time scouring swap meets and the internet for NOS or quality used original parts.

Mike LaBattaglia
Blue Star Performance
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6