03/05/10 06:44 PM
03/05/10 06:44 PM
Mechanic Falls, Maine
4BBodies Offline OP
mopar addict
4BBodies  Offline OP
mopar addict

Mechanic Falls, Maine
..........I suspected problems with my '73 Thermoquad last Fall, it seemed it just wasn't right. Sometimes when cold the accelorator pump did nothing, sometimes it would stick. Playing with it would make it work fine. Some days when I ran it, it would be fine, very responsive. It has a new pump inside. Just once in awhile it would "hang up," and not squirt, and act like it was out of gas. So it has been sitting since October, and the carb is dry now. I fiddled with it today, it looked to me like the rod running from the arm down to the throttle shaft was way too short. So I check my spares, and sure enough.......one was almost 1/2 inch longer. Maybe I grabbed the wrong one when I rebuilt it, I don't recall. It seems to be right now, if I hold the throttle against it, the pump starts to move right away. Before, it seemed the throttle had to go quite aways before it started to move the pump arm. The carb is still dry, is the spring in the pump suppose to be pulling the pump shaft down? Is this right? This seems backwards to me, and I can't find anything on it anywhere. It is making it hard to adjust, because one would think the pump shaft should be all the way up. I don't want to put gas in it until I have it close, and I can't find any accurate drawings/ diagrams for it. Thanks for any unput, I'm sure it isn't a big deal, just annoiying.

Re: Thermoquad pump shot........ [Re: 4BBodies] #631600
03/05/10 07:35 PM
03/05/10 07:35 PM
Mechanic Falls, Maine
4BBodies Offline OP
mopar addict
4BBodies  Offline OP
mopar addict

Mechanic Falls, Maine
Wait........I have been googling this for an hour.........I looked at all the pictures/posts etc. that I could find........am I thinking backwards on this? Does the pump spring hold the pump down, and the ROD is supposed to hold it up? Does the pump SPRING actually give the pump shot, when the rod tension is let off? That would explain why I can't seem to grasp why things don't appear right........anyway, while fiddling I can't get the rod to do that, nothing holds it back. It just moves loose on the throttle shaft. Maybe I need to put the shorter rod back on........

Re: Thermoquad pump shot........ [Re: 4BBodies] #631601
03/05/10 07:37 PM
03/05/10 07:37 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Wait........I have been googling this for an hour.........I looked at all the pictures/posts etc. that I could find........am I thinking backwards on this? Does the pump spring hold the pump down, and the ROD is supposed to hold it up? Does the pump SPRING actually give the pump shot, when the rod tension is let off? That would explain why I can't seem to grasp why things don't appear right........anyway, while fiddling I can't get the rod to do that, nothing holds it back. It just moves loose on the throttle shaft. Maybe I need to put the shorter rod back on........

Sounds like you figuring it out