02/28/10 05:55 PM
02/28/10 05:55 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well we just got back from attempting to run our first divisional event of the year in Phoenix at Firebird Raceway. It was an interesting experience to say the least. To sum it up I went 1600 miles for nothing...They call the race yesterday due to issues with traction compound supposedly. The issue they stated was that the wrong traction compound has been used at the race track the last two weeks...

I tired to hit the wall on one occasion, about the 700' mark was going just fine then all of a sudden left turn Clyde..WOW did not expect that at all. Issues a couple of other times as well. I did manage to get down track twice but that is of little consequence now.

I did get to see some old friends which is always good. Shotting the bull with MoparBilly is always a good time. Now we need to get him back out there racing. Also made some new friends wish is always good too. Otherwise WHAT A WASTE OF TIME...
I must say I walked the track a couple of times, as I was one of the guys having issues. Five tries and 2 successful passes is all I got. Trying to put 1100hp down at the 500'-600' mark was not happening on that track. I was not alone as there were a ton of throttle stop cars having the same issues. I will also say that had to be the saddest racing surface I have ever been on, and I have been on some very questionable places in my heads up days. I am just very dissapointed in the way things turned out and were handled for all involved.

As for my experience. Well let me sum it up this way. I spent a bunch of money on fuel, an entry fee I will never see again as I do not plan on returning as of now, a new set of tires, a few wasted days of vacation, and a car with a broken front end(on the tow home)...Hmmmm my Firebird experience was PRICELESS.....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627194
02/28/10 06:03 PM
02/28/10 06:03 PM
Gilbert, AZ
A
Aspen7695 Offline
super stock
Aspen7695  Offline
super stock
A

Gilbert, AZ
I'm sorry you traveled all that way to have a lousy time. At least I only had to go 15 miles. I saw your car and it is beautiful. I kept meaning to stop by, and when I did you were not there. I hope to meet you at Infinion later this year.

Raul

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Aspen7695] #627195
02/28/10 06:06 PM
02/28/10 06:06 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

that sucks Al

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Quicktree] #627196
02/28/10 06:31 PM
02/28/10 06:31 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Raul-Sorry I did not get to meet you. We did not spend a lot of time at the trailer. We were in the coach a lot and roaming around talking to folks. Come find me at Infineon, are you going to be in Fontana?

We did manage to go 10.899 at 154.66 and 10.942 at 154.30 and had a pair of .006 lites on the two passes we got down the track. To bad we could not get the event in. Worst part for me is the points, it will be a minimum number as I will not likely go back and run the new event. So I will get first round runner up points. Also the grade point I kinda needed as I will likely need it to get into the Infineon National in Super Comp. Rumor has it they will run the new event at the end of the year. Good news for some is they said they will reopen the event so there may be more cars that enter. I think we had 42 cars.

The only real bummer now is the broken front end. Not sure if we can get the fiberglass and paint fixed and looking good before the Mopars at the Strip deal. Will likely be in primer but are gonna try and get it done.

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627197
02/28/10 06:33 PM
02/28/10 06:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

We did manage to go 10.899 at 154.66 and 10.942 at 154.30 and had a pair of .006 lites. To bad we could not get the event in. Worst part for me is the points, it will be a minimum number as I will not likely go back and run the new event. So I will get first round runner up points. Also the grade point I kinda needed as I will likely need it to get into the Infineon National in Super Comp. Rumor has it they will run the new event at the end of the year. Good news maybe they are going to reopen the event so there may be more cars that enter so at least I will possibly get an extra 10 points. I think we had 42 cars.

the only real bummer now is the broken front end. Not sure if we can get the fiberglass and paint fixed and looking good before the Mopars at the Strip deal. Will likely be in primer but are gonna try and get it done.

AL, What happened to the frontend of the Barracuda??

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627198
02/28/10 06:36 PM
02/28/10 06:36 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
You are lucky you didn't run the national!! I know your pain all too well almost a carbon copy of my trip to Rockingham. Although that will be contested April 30. Looks like you got a good SST tunep

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: MegaDart] #627199
02/28/10 06:42 PM
02/28/10 06:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... #627200
02/28/10 06:55 PM
02/28/10 06:55 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
Sorry to hear about the trouble, what happened to the FE?
Hope it's not too bad.

Diego,

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627201
02/28/10 07:05 PM
02/28/10 07:05 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Wayne, well we all know why they call it drag racing huh As for the National glad I was not there. If not for it being my 25th wedding anniverssary I would have been. I would have felt better if it actually rained or something. The weather was actually beautiful, a shame the track sucked.

As for the front end, if fell victim to California roads and California drivers. Not really sure why but somehow it got loose and hit the golf cart, all the straps were still on it and it has never had an issue before. We did hit a couple of big holes in the road that actually bottomed out the motorhome due to some of the other drivers not paying attention. Assume that must have been the issue. At any rate it ran into the cart pretty hard, front end is cracked and busted up pretty good as well as the grilles. Oh well It will get fixed and painted eventually, biggest concern is trying to get it to match as with the new water base crap paint there are a lot of colors not available any longer...

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627202
02/28/10 07:58 PM
02/28/10 07:58 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club

BROOK PARK, OH
I feel so bad for you

I hope you don't have to much trouble matching the paint.

Your car is beautiful

Re: Just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627203
02/28/10 08:21 PM
02/28/10 08:21 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

To sum it up I went 1600 miles for nothing...They call the race yesterday due to issues with traction compound supposedly.

It doesn't sound like they tried hard enough to me. But what do I know...

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627204
02/28/10 08:29 PM
02/28/10 08:29 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

I would have felt better if it actually rained or something. The weather was actually beautiful, a shame the track sucked.

As for the front end, if fell victim to California roads and California drivers. Not really sure why but somehow it got loose and hit the golf cart, all the straps were still on it and it has never had an issue before. We did hit a couple of big holes in the road that actually bottomed out the motorhome due to some of the other drivers not paying attention. Assume that must have been the issue. At any rate it ran into the cart pretty hard, front end is cracked and busted up pretty good as well as the grilles. Oh well It will get fixed and painted eventually, biggest concern is trying to get it to match as with the new water base crap paint there are a lot of colors not available any longer...

Good to see you Al..

As far as matching paint, well you saw my predicament..

Anyway, it rained all day here, so there wasn't a race happening.

I feel your pain, hopefully the damage is fixable.

We got down the track twice with zero issues chassis wise. But as we discussed, I think I have a converter issue as well as a hood scoop issue..

All in all, the car came home in one piece.

Chris..

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #627205
02/28/10 09:57 PM
02/28/10 09:57 PM
Windsor ,Ca.
K
Keith Richards Offline
master
Keith Richards  Offline
master
K

Windsor ,Ca.
Al, bummer time down there for all for sure! You shouldn't have a problem getting into the Autolights you will have more than one grade point by then and the last 2 years 1 grade point has got many in due to this economy and the fields not filling.
I am sure Mike can help you out if you have him fix the car, I have his home number if you need it.

Keith

Re: just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Keith Richards] #627206
02/28/10 10:44 PM
02/28/10 10:44 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Sorry to hear about the bad weekend. But, you do have a killer setup for 10.90, dialed and ready. Are you going to Tucson ?

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #627207
02/28/10 10:55 PM
02/28/10 10:55 PM
Mooresburg, Tn
'
'72CudaRacer Offline
top fuel
'72CudaRacer  Offline
top fuel
'

Mooresburg, Tn

Hmmmm my Firebird experience was PRICELESS.....

Oh, there's a price on alright...$$$$$

Re: Just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: '72CudaRacer] #627208
02/28/10 11:59 PM
02/28/10 11:59 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I feel terrible about the frontend Al. As Chris mentioned, it started raining about 11 pm Saturday, and rained off and on all day, so Sunday wasn't gonna happen regardless. I did warn you however...

440 Jim,
The D-7 crew is plum wore out at this point, those have to be the most discouraged bunch around right now. Mike Rice is a stand-up DD, who works hard for the racers...it's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Just got back from Phoenix..... [Re: MoparBilly] #627209
03/01/10 01:27 AM
03/01/10 01:27 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I know Billy you told me, but you know me I never listen I dont think you will find me coming back to Firebird til they do something about the track. I have never raced on a track quite that bumpy for sure. After walking it I was amazed how deteriorated it really was. The return road was better than the track was The traction deal was just simply a matter of the way my stop is set up as plenty of cars got down it. I think it just depended on how we had our junk set up. Dnag JJ got me by .8mph again We found the weather, LONG drive home in the wind and rain.

The D7 guys did all they could. I commend them for thier efforst to try and make it work. Mike Rice(D7 director)was out there on the tractor himself when I went by at midnight, heard he was out there til 3am trying to make it right. It just was not gonna happen.

Greg no Tucson for me. I was planning on making it but then decided to go to the Mopars At the Strip event instead. I have divisionals that are closer to me as well, Boise, and Woodburn come to mind. I have more fun in Vegas anyway. I dont approach that one as a race weekend as much as a chance to catch up with old friends. Running the car is just something that happens.

Keith, I think we will fix it ourselves. Will get a better look at the damage tomorrow, just did not have the energy to check it out today. Not sure Mike would have time to get it done before I need it again in two weeks at Fontana, which is my plan right now. My big concern is the availablility of some of the color due to the switch to water base paints. Some things simply are no longer available. As for the Autolites I have three grade points now and by the time we get close to the Autolites I will be at 5 so still should be ok but you never know. S/C is a popular class, they had 101 at the D7 race in Phoenix.

Did I mention I broke a tooth too