Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

You, Jeff, are the exception. Go to a national event and watch what happens after the fuelers are done running.

That's just a perception on your part. They wouldn't be in the sixes, but perhaps in the low 5's and high 4's. We would be back to 1/4 mile racing for everyone, and you would see more people that would and could come out to race because they could afford it again. And if that's not enough, racers wouldn't need multi-million sponsorships and would be more likely to do what the prostock racers did last weekend, tell NHRA to f off! I hate to say it, but we need a throttle stop on the sport these days IMO. Just like they stopped racing the rocket cars,blown fuel altereds, and front engine fuel cars in the 70's. And before you say they still do race those classes, they have restrictions on them. It's supposed to be fun for all and on the edge, not over the edge.

One of the main reasons they need the big dollar sponsorships is travel expenses and upkeep for going to 23 national events if they race the full circuit. In the old days teams used to match race to make money and go to the 4 (maybe) national events a year. Now, running the circuit is a full time job and then some. No time for match racing anymore. The old days are long gone. Slowing the cars down will never bring them back.

And BobR is correct. There is only one reason that P/S and PS/B run BEFORE the fuel cars. The stands would be empty if they didn't. Every class from P/S on down is merely space filler between rounds of fuel.

The main reason the stands are empty is the $$$$$$$$$$. If NHRA is to survive in the future, that will have to change. Compitition does not have to be a multi million dollar indeavor. Most racing venues are family affairs ( watching and participating ), and the average family, in todays environment, can't afford it. Change will come! Trust me, I'm a mechanic!

Fastest 300
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Crizila] #619938
02/24/10 12:05 PM
02/24/10 12:05 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

And BobR is correct. There is only one reason that P/S and PS/B run BEFORE the fuel cars. The stands would be empty if they didn't. Every class from P/S on down is merely space filler between rounds of fuel.

Not true

The main reason PS run in front of the fuelers is because of the clutch dust the fuelers leave on the track.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 02/24/10 12:09 PM.
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Challenger 1] #619939
02/24/10 01:07 PM
02/24/10 01:07 PM
Mi,U.S.A.
M
mike s Offline
top fuel
mike s  Offline
top fuel
M

Mi,U.S.A.
I do not think anyone wants to see a fuel car of any kind that can barely outrun a Pro-Mod.I would prefer the cars ran a 1/4 mile also.If the track can not handle the cars safely (pro stocks etc incl) don't run them there.Tragically these types of freak accidents do happen.One lost life is too many.They will come up with a tether deal to prevent this from happening again.Where are the safer barriers to absorb some of the energy of a crash.All I have seen is cars careening off of concrete.All sanctioning bodies need to step up too.Remember overall the cars are much much safer than in the old days.

I was at Indy in 79 when the photographer was killed and the Top Fuel bike rider was also killed.There were also 2 or 3 fatal heart attacks and several nasty Top Fuel crashes with injuries.With heavy hearts we learn from these tragic events and carry on.

Leave the gun.......take the Cannoli's....Mike
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: mike s] #619940
02/24/10 01:25 PM
02/24/10 01:25 PM
NH
torredcuda Offline
super stock
torredcuda  Offline
super stock

NH
I think the Promods(IHRA track) put on a great show and are fun to watch going down the track sideways,I think they are the new fuel altereds.They also have a variety of bodies that actually look somewhat like the real cars.I also like watching bracket racing but hate watching throttle stop cars,the first 60-100' is usually where the action is but throttle stops just kill it for me.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: mike s] #619941
02/24/10 02:09 PM
02/24/10 02:09 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
"I was at Indy in 79 when the photographer was killed and the Top Fuel bike rider was also killed.There were also 2 or 3 fatal heart attacks and several nasty Top Fuel crashes with injuries.With heavy hearts we learn from these tragic events and carry on."

I was there every day. That race was brutal. One of the "heart attacks" was a fan in the grandstands that leaned back into a high voltage line. I think that it was '78 but you could be right.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: BobR] #619942
02/24/10 02:47 PM
02/24/10 02:47 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been to Indy for many US Nats, not as early as 79 though. I was on the starting line when Elmer Trent died on the track and also standing on the starting line when Blaine crashed and died. I think that was the same year, right? I was helping/crewing for Jerry Camaniti (sp) that year with his nitro FC. I did the bottem end for him for about 3 years. Started the car also and lowered the body on his nitro FC. Learned a bunch and then went racing for myself.

I have even competed in TAD at the Big Go and quailfied more than one year and even won the first round one year. Got to do a live TV. interveiw.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: plasticfantastic] #619943
02/24/10 04:34 PM
02/24/10 04:34 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

speak for yourself, because right here is someone that enjoys Super class racing, and its not the sugar coated finish line excuses that you said. I also know many others that enjoy watching it.
I enjoy it because of the engineering side of it, what they are doing to make the car do what its doing.

That's the problem - I DID like watching the Super class cars, in the early days when cars left the line at full throttle and stayed there most of the way, but all that "engineering" you speak of that's so interesting one day is going to be the death of them at the national event level.
Drag racings' most unique feature is a full acceleration start. Anything less SUCKS - period. Your throttle stop and timer ruin it for the majority of spectators - THE PAYING CUSTOMERS. Forget about not needing fans at some Bracket Bash - we're talking about National events. NHRA seems to keep thinking of more new forms and classes to squeeze into the show - well, guess what, an event is only so many hours and so many days long. Now, if you were Compton or some other NHRA business man, and had to trim something from the program for some new class, which classes would YOU trim? That's right, the ones where the fans leave the stands. They've already done it to some of Stock, S/S and Super Street, where else can they trim? And I can bet that there will STILL be more people interested in 8 second wheel standing SS/AH and 9 second stockers than the Super Class cars at a National event - hell, even the nitro teams watch the SS Hemi Shootout.

Yup, Super Class racing of today - real interesting....Look how clever this guy was to string together all these timers and electro-pneumatic devices just so he could....Hurry up, wait....then hurry up again, then wait some more at the top end.... endlessly thrilling, if you're engrossed in the engineering it takes to do that, but like having root canal to everyone else.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Sixpak] #619944
02/24/10 05:57 PM
02/24/10 05:57 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I think that is NHRA's motivation for letting T/D and T/S in the program this year. Eventually they will weed out the T-stops. I kinda like watching them and race S/C at National events, but it's hard on the components, and the fans. Personally, I don't think they understand. And as far as Compton goes, he has trouble finding his way home.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619945
02/24/10 06:05 PM
02/24/10 06:05 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

And as far as Compton goes, he has trouble finding his way home.

he lives in glendora, right?

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Sixpak] #619946
02/24/10 06:31 PM
02/24/10 06:31 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

speak for yourself, because right here is someone that enjoys Super class racing, and its not the sugar coated finish line excuses that you said. I also know many others that enjoy watching it.
I enjoy it because of the engineering side of it, what they are doing to make the car do what its doing.

That's the problem - I DID like watching the Super class cars, in the early days when cars left the line at full throttle and stayed there most of the way, but all that "engineering" you speak of that's so interesting one day is going to be the death of them at the national event level.
Drag racings' most unique feature is a full acceleration start. Anything less SUCKS - period. Your throttle stop and timer ruin it for the majority of spectators - THE PAYING CUSTOMERS. Forget about not needing fans at some Bracket Bash - we're talking about National events. NHRA seems to keep thinking of more new forms and classes to squeeze into the show - well, guess what, an event is only so many hours and so many days long. Now, if you were Compton or some other NHRA business man, and had to trim something from the program for some new class, which classes would YOU trim? That's right, the ones where the fans leave the stands. They've already done it to some of Stock, S/S and Super Street, where else can they trim? And I can bet that there will STILL be more people interested in 8 second wheel standing SS/AH and 9 second stockers than the Super Class cars at a National event - hell, even the nitro teams watch the SS Hemi Shootout.

Yup, Super Class racing of today - real interesting....Look how clever this guy was to string together all these timers and electro-pneumatic devices just so he could....Hurry up, wait....then hurry up again, then wait some more at the top end.... endlessly thrilling, if you're engrossed in the engineering it takes to do that, but like having root canal to everyone else.

What you fail to realize is NHRA doesn't want and has never intended on keeping spectators butts planted in their seats ... NHRA wants as many spectators spending as much time as possible touring the midway spending their money on food and souvenirs....period

Also you need to realize that many a PRO Class Drivers have ran many many laps in the Super Classes

There was a 180 combined car count at Gainesville last weekend in S/G & S/C.....they ain't going anywhere anytime soon

Rickster

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Sixpak] #619947
02/24/10 09:09 PM
02/24/10 09:09 PM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
Quote:

Quote:

the majority of the spectators are not there to watch anything else but what they see on TV...

youre talking all over the board about things that dont matter, or personally I dont care about. if you dont like some of the classes that are running, then go get your spectator goodie bag, grab your autographs, and wait for the things you like to run.
MEANWHILE, you did it again, you are speaking for a whole lot of people, based on your narrow views.
I wrote and said that I like super racing, and you just put it down like what you think is what matters, whats wrong with you? why cant you just say something like, you know, I dont care for that type of racing, but if its something you enjoy, for whatever reason, then I'm glad theres something for you to see.

seriously what is wrong with some of you people?

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: plasticfantastic] #619948
02/24/10 10:25 PM
02/24/10 10:25 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the majority of the spectators are not there to watch anything else but what they see on TV...

youre talking all over the board about things that dont matter, or personally I dont care about. if you dont like some of the classes that are running, then go get your spectator goodie bag, grab your autographs, and wait for the things you like to run.
MEANWHILE, you did it again, you are speaking for a whole lot of people, based on your narrow views.
I wrote and said that I like super racing, and you just put it down like what you think is what matters, whats wrong with you? why cant you just say something like, you know, I dont care for that type of racing, but if its something you enjoy, for whatever reason, then I'm glad theres something for you to see.

seriously what is wrong with some of you people?

i hate to bash..but judging by the fans left in the seats during super runs..he's not the one in the minority..
by the way ...i waved at you up there at the top of the stands.....all by your self....
you never wave back...
i always wondered who that guy was..in the stands
cheapst.

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Sixpak] #619949
02/25/10 01:19 AM
02/25/10 01:19 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

Sixpack,
How many National Events have you competed at?? Why do you choose to bash a class you obviously know nothing about?? Never ONCE, have I been running SST at a National, and seen empty grandstands, period. Never ONCE has anyone said to me, "Man, your t-stop ruined the Nationals for me". GET A GRIP!! There are plenty of things to see and do at a National event, and everyone can make their own choice as to when they want to sit on their butt in the stands.
I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in the stands during SG, and a fan will ask his buddy whats going on..as soon as I start explaining it, I'll have 15 or 20 people around me listening intently, and eager to learn and understand the class

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: MoparBilly] #619950
02/25/10 07:52 AM
02/25/10 07:52 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Well said Billy.

I agree that Super Class may be boring to some, but like Billy said, it's mostly because they don't understand it.
My Dad didn't get it until I explained it fully--during elims. Then he got it and really understood it. It's all math he said..

Anyway.. To each his own... I enjoy it, and have a handful of Wallys from doing it... Can't get those from the Grandstands or Internet, complaining.

BTW.. I don't refer to Super Classes as racing.

But it is a COMPETITION, and a damn good one.. Stand at the finish line some time..

Chris..

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #619951
02/25/10 12:24 PM
02/25/10 12:24 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Well said Billy.

I agree that Super Class may be boring to some, but like Billy said, it's mostly because they don't understand it.
My Dad didn't get it until I explained it fully--during elims. Then he got it and really understood it. It's all math he said..

Anyway.. To each his own... I enjoy it, and have a handful of Wallys from doing it... Can't get those from the Grandstands or Internet, complaining.

BTW.. I don't refer to Super Classes as racing.

But it is a COMPETITION, and a damn good one.. Stand at the finish line some time..

Chris..

I couldn't agree more. But that being said, that's the problem with our sport. It's a little too technical for the average slack jawed goober to cling to. And our people in the know aren't the ones that get a chance to explain the technical part of super class racing. Heck alot of bracket racers can't grasp the technique that goes into it. And as for the typical fan, all they see is the car launch, slow, then speed up again and they can't understand why the guy who gets to the finish line first looses. That's the issue and why eventually IMO Top Dragster and Top Sportsman will take over. It's still bracket racing, but there is qualifying and it's fast. Juat my thoughts, and by the way, too bad about the woman killed at the races. I hear she was married to one of the racers. Very sad indeed.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619952
02/25/10 12:50 PM
02/25/10 12:50 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
Slack jawwed goober!

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: 11secdart] #619953
02/25/10 01:48 PM
02/25/10 01:48 PM
Norwalk Ohio
cudasteve68 Offline
enthusiast
cudasteve68  Offline
enthusiast

Norwalk Ohio
I am a little worried of the type of person that would post a video that showed the death of that woman. Even more worried about a person who would watch it time after time in slow motion......
Remeber we lost a humon life here, please think of that while you posting pictures and videos.
How would you feel if someone posted videos of your wife being killed in a freak accident.
NHRA pulled them for a reason.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: cudasteve68] #619954
02/25/10 02:18 PM
02/25/10 02:18 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

I am a little worried of the type of person that would post a video that showed the death of that woman. Even more worried about a person who would watch it time after time in slow motion......
Remeber we lost a humon life here, please think of that while you posting pictures and videos.
How would you feel if someone posted videos of your wife being killed in a freak accident.
NHRA pulled them for a reason.

Really, I don't think it had to do with anything more than just trying to figure out what happened. It wasn't anything morbid IMO. I am sure the NHRA and insurance companies are doing the same thing.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619955
02/25/10 03:20 PM
02/25/10 03:20 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Hey Guyz ... something INTERESTING I feel I should add to this conversation .....

Last nite(2am-ish) I was doing some cruising-of-topics and went into WHO'S ONLINE and GUESS WHO was reading this topic ? ....

.... NDragster !

..... and like Sgt Schlutz ...... he says and "knows" NOTHING ? .. !!

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: dOoC] #619956
02/25/10 03:23 PM
02/25/10 03:23 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

Hey Guyz ... something INTERESTING I feel I should add to this conversation .....

Last nite(2am-ish) I was doing some cruising-of-topics and went into WHO'S ONLINE and GUESS WHO was reading this topic ....

NDragster !

..... and like Sgt Schlutz ...... he says and knows NOTHING ? .. !!

he knows where glendora is.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10